Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What hotel chain does the Cumberland Hotel in London belong to?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This use to be a Le Meridien hotel but I see its gone from their websight. Who owns it now?
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:36 PM

Their site says Best Western hotel group, if its the same one, check it.

http://www.cumberlandhotel.co.uk/

Muck
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

That one isnt in London, its in Harrow.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 07:50 PM
ron

The Cumberland Hotel is being rebranded Le Meridien Marble Arch in Autumn 2003 after a £78 million upgrade.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 03:29 AM

Forgive me for my indiscretion but last time I looked Harrow was in North West London.

Old Sep 10th, 2004, 03:54 AM

....err well, not necessarily, mucky.

The rather obscure (except to those of us who once had their office parties there, and are still trying to live down the consequences) place in Harrow has an official address which is St Johns Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2EF.

The rather better-known (especially to London's ladies of the night, who certainly used to cruise all over the place when we put colleagues up there) place in Marble Arch has an official address I'm too lazy to look up, but will turn out to be something like Wotsit St, London, W1A 9ZZ.

According to Royal Mail, Harrow's not in London. Granted, Red Ken thinks it is, but what does he know?

Old Sep 10th, 2004, 04:26 AM

Better tell the cumberland hotel then, because they say they are in North West London on their website....lol

I suspect Ken is probably right. How else could he take over the world if he didn't push out the boundries.

According to the website www.harrow.gov.uk

Harrow is officially known as the London borough of Harrow.
That leaves me very puzzled indeed Flanner.

Muck
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 04:40 AM

Their not Le Meridien anymore? That was fast. They'd just been bought by Le Meridien and began renovations in June 2002. I'm curious now too. Assuming that we're referring to the one overlooking Marble Arch anyway, near Oxford and Park
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 05:27 AM

My friends in London indicate that target date for reopening is Oct 1.At the moment it is "independent" with no affiliation.They will begin accepting reservations Monday, Sep 13.Hope this helps...
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 05:34 AM
ron

The Cumberland Hotel is part of a very complicated and messy property deal. Simplifying greatly, in 2001, the Royal Bank of Scotland bought 11 hotels from the Nomura group and leased them back to be operated under the Le Meridien marque. After 9/11 the lease payments were too high and Le Meridien ran into financial trouble. In May 2003, RBS repossessed the hotels back and began reletting them -- Grosvenor House to Marriott, Waldorf to Hilton, Russell and four hotels outside London to Principal, etc. The Cumberland has not been leased and the RBS hired Vision, a hotel advisory and investment business, to manage the hotel. As of July 2004, Thistle Hotels was reported to be in negotiations to lease the Cumberland from RBS. I have seen no news that that deal has closed. Of course, in April the rumour was that Sheraton was going to take on the lease.

Old Sep 27th, 2004, 05:58 AM
ron

To close this story off, Thistle Hotels announced today that it is to operate the newly refurbished Cumberland Hotel under its new prestige brand, Guoman Hotels. The Cumberland opens its doors next month... See www.thecumberland.co.uk