honeymoon in tuscany

Sep 24th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Original Poster

honeymoon in tuscany

We are going on our honeymoon in Italy October 2005. We are going to split it up between Tuscany and Venice. We are staying 8 to 10 nights. We will rent a vehicle for Tuscany, so my question is: Where are the most romantic and beautiful towns to visit. We would like to stay in one hotel in Tuscany that would be central to the places we should visit. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks from Arkansas...
Sep 25th, 2004, 03:54 AM

I would spend more time in Tuscany than Venice.

If you don't get enough responses here about a place to stay (are you wanting to rent an apartment, or stay in a hotel or B&B or ?), then go to: http://slowtalk.com/eve/ubb.x

The above is the message board for SlowTrav. Main site is: http://www.slowtrav.com/

There is a lot of helpful information tehre as well.

--Marv
Sep 25th, 2004, 04:50 AM

For the most part all villages in Tuscany are beautiful but each for different reasons. As for where to stay, I'd suggest outside of Florence and then it would be easier to go to some of the more popular cities like San Gimigiano (may have misspelled that) Siena and drive through the Chianti region. I enjoyed staying at a B&B in Tuscany. I also second the opinion of more time in Tuscany. I really didn't like Venice. I found it to be very touristy and wished I had just spent the time in Tuscany. For a list of smaller hotels and B&B's check out venere.com.
Sep 25th, 2004, 05:11 AM

Stay south of Siena. Look at www.palazzodelcapitano.com and www.lasaracina.it for starters.
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:14 AM

I am leaving in 5 days and will be staying at La Saracina. We are also staying at a farm near Voterra, Podere San Lorenzo, which offers a cooking class. I will post a trip report or you can email me in a few weeks (I'll be back on Oct.13) [email protected]
Sep 25th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses, and I look forward to hearing about your upcoming trip.

csimco
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:23 PM

This August we stayed at Relais Fattoria Vignale in Radda, which is about 45 minutes from Florence, less from Siena. We loved the hotel, and found it quite central for daytrips and wine tastings.

The view of the rolling countryside from the back of the hotel is unforgettable.

If you go, ask for a room in the annex, across the street from the main hotel. The rooms there are slightly larger and have better views.

Have a great time!
Sep 26th, 2004, 01:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you "Weadles" for the great advise!
Sep 26th, 2004, 04:24 AM

I strongly suggest Borgo Argenina. A most charming Bed and Breakfast in my opinion and the hostess Elena is equally enchanting. It is in Gaiole in Chianti very near an old castelo that has a very good osteria. Let me know if you want more info. Venice is of course beautiful but Tuscany will take your breath away.
Sep 26th, 2004, 09:37 AM

csimco,

You're welcome. Thought I'd mention that Radda is only about a 40 minute drive from San Gimignano, as well.

If you decide to book at Relais Fattoria Vignale ( by the way, there's a beautiful pool in the back of the hotel overlooking olive groves) definitely mention your honeymoon. There are two large suites with terraces, which would be quite nice to have during your stay!
Sep 27th, 2004, 04:39 AM

Please take a look at Palazzo del Capitano. We took Bob the Navigators suggestion and just returned from a wonderful stay at the Palazzo. For a honeymoon this place is perfect. The rooms are just beatiful and the garden where they serve breakfast is perfect. The scenery around this ara is breathtaking. We also visited Venice and I think you are making plans for a perfect honeymoon.
Congratulations!
Diane
Sep 27th, 2004, 06:21 AM

Location is the key. I just prefer the look of south Tuscany over Chianti, and it is far less homogenized. I too have stayed at Borgo Argenina and it is cute if you want rural. But, Capitano is hard to beat for location and it is in the village with good options for dinner.