Reload this Page >

London: BB OR Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 11:54 AM
lalon

Message: Please give me your opinion...Should I go with a bed & breakfast or a hotel. Also, has anyone stayed at any of these places....your comments is truly appreciated. <BR><BR>Winchester Hotel <BR>Woodville House<BR>Lime Tree Hotel, <BR>Quality Hotel Eccleston <BR>Elizabeth House<BR>Cherry Court Hotel<BR>London County Hall Travel Inn<BR>Hotel Ibis London Euston<BR>Jurys Inn <BR>Premier Lodge<BR>

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Lori

I cannot comment on any of your list except the Ibis - we stayed there some years back (we had to catch a train early in the a.m.). The rooms are beyond small, they give new meaning to small. It was clean, the staff was nice and the buffet breakfasts (additional) were fine, but the room was the smallest I had ever been in in my life. The location next door to the station was convenient. I think choosing between a B&B and hotel is a personal preference, personally I prefer hotels or apartments (which we rent in London). A lot of people on this forum recommend Travel Inn as being fairly economical but sort of Motel 6-ish.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 03:12 PM
bettyk

Haven't stayed at any of the hotels listed either, but there have been many positive comments on the London County Hall Travel Inn (try a search for London hotels) and Rick Steves highly recommends the Lime Tree Hotel.

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 06:49 AM
JML

I have stayed at a Travel Inn in Edinburgh, and a Jurys in Dublin,and I found them very nice and clean, phones in the lobby and duvet's in Travel inn. Breakfast not included, but a restarant in hotel, not bad. Both inns have website which is helpful. Stayed in a B&B in London and it was not great. But food was!<BR>

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 11:03 AM
Simone

I stayed at the Winchester (on Belgravia Road south of Victoria Station?) four or five years ago. It was very clean and well-kept. I especially liked, as a single, staying in the triple room - thought it was just the right size for one. Breakfast, as I recall, is in a breakfast room in the basement and offers a traditional English breakfast. My room facing the street, even on the top floor, was a bit noisy so take earplugs if you think you may need to open the windows. I would book there again if staying in that area of London.

Old Feb 11th, 2004, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you stay at a B&amp;B you're more likely to get a flavor of the country. B&amp;Bs in Europe, unlike America, are the lodgings for the average Joe. I stayed at Jenkins Hotel in London, which is a B&amp;B, picture of the Queen in the breakfast room, I think I was the only American guest. The others were from around England who had business in London. I can still well remember some of the people I met there. That might not have been the case if I had stayed in a big hotel. On the other hand, if you're looking for up-scale, B&amp;Bs in Europe will probably not be what you're looking for.
Old Feb 11th, 2004, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi
Lately I've been mentioning the Arosfa hotel beause I stayed there last month.
It is really a B&amp;B.

Minuses: I had a very small single room and an incredibly small bathroom. TV only gets 4 channels (no satellite)
No elevator, no a/c, but that's pretty common in budget places, especially B&amp;Bs.

Pluses: Good location (Bloomsbury), spotlessly clean, in good condition, cooked breakfast provided every morning, owners are not effusive but kind and helpful. Decor simple but attractively old-fashioned. Double rooms are slightly bigger, the triple room I saw wasn't a bad size, relatively speaking.

If budget requires, I would stay there again, but there are of course many options in London.

If you go to the top of this screen and click on Hotels,you will find Fodors listings, mostly with guest comments.
www.tripadvisor.com also is a great resource for hotel comments.