Search

Lisbon - Fatima

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lisbon - Fatima

Is there anything of interest to see in Fatima for a very non-religious person?
My son is being taken on a 4 day school trip to Lisbon and one of the options is a bus trip to Fatima. It seems to me to be a waste of a whole day when there's so much else to see in the city. Am I wrong?
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:56 AM

you are right
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thought so. Will complain with the teachers. Thanks!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:02 AM

carrom writes: "... one of the options is a bus trip to Fatima."

I agree with lobo_mau on this one!

Is there another option he may select? What other options do they offer?
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:19 AM

Well, before complaining, just take a second to think.

Like it or loathe it (and I'm definitely in the second group), Fatima has impacted the lives of infinitely more people, throughout the world, than the Mona Lisa, the Leaning Tower of Pisa or any of the hundreds of tourist hotspots that feature on this board.

As an influence on people today, it's arguably the single most important place in Portugal.

Refusing to go on an objective visit to look at what's caused so much excitement is as purblind as refusing to go to Florence because you're not artistic.

If this is an attempt to force your child onto a pilgrimage, then obviously you have grounds for complaint. Otherwise going there with his eyes open will teach your son more about people than any amount of museum-crawling.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 04:02 AM
P_M

You said it's an optional tour, so he can opt out, right? If that's the case, I see no reason to complain.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 04:53 AM

Carrom,

Lobo's right - for a child it'll be so boring. The big open square in the sun - if he does go be sure to pack sun cream. You don't mention his age but in reality despite what CotswoldScouser it's not for him.

Matt
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

As I suspected (hence the use of the word "complain" ) we now find out it's not optional. They pay 16 euros and go whether they like it or not. I'm afraid I can't agree that Fatima has changed more lives than the Mona Lisa! I would agree that it might be interesting from an anthropological point of view to visit such a place (though Lourdes is probably far more interesting) but not when it's your first trip to Portugal and you only have four days. In fact I'm furious with the school! It is typical of the total lack of respect that the Italian state school has, in this particular historical and political moment,for other beliefs. The church is becoming a dangerous interferer. I worry.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 12:17 PM

Sorry, but I loved Fatima. It was so eerie and odd. I have never seen such devotion--people crawling on their hands and knees in front of the statue of BVM. And what kitsch in the shops!! BVM glow-in-the-dark lamps. It was like watching a train wreck.

St. Laurent Slag
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 03:55 AM

The first time I went to Fatima, I was 15, and found it really boring... (Maybe because my uncle made us attend an entire mass in the open square).

I did return to Fatima on another trip to Portugal when I was in my early twenties, and found it more interesting.