Portugal with an infant?

Search

Portugal with an infant?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portugal with an infant?

We are contemplating our first trans-Atlantic flight with our almost 5-month old son. I know people travel with kids all the time, and I'm not worried about it -- we plan to be well-prepared and keep a relaxed attitude and good sense of humor about everything. Our son is already a good air passenger and very easygoing. Plus, I've heard/read that Europeans are even more welcoming of kids than Americans are!<BR><BR>My husband and I will be attending a conference in Lisbon for 3 days at the end of April - grandma will come to watch our little one during that time. We'll have another 4 days in which we can either stay in Lisbon or travel elsewhere in Portugal. I know we want to go to Sintra and perhaps another town even further from Lisbon. Is this wise, considering that we will be traveling with a 6-month old? Would you recommend using Lisbon as a base and making day-trips by car, train or bus? Or should we try to stay at least 2 days in each location, and walk everywhere? We realize we won't be able to cover as much ground as we did pre-baby, but we would like to enjoy the trip and see as much of Portugal as possible in a limited time frame.<BR><BR>For those of you who are parents, do you have any tips or recommendations you can give us for traveling to Lisbon or around Portugal? <BR><BR>Many thanks in advance!
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

After doing a search for all of Europe posts with &quot;child,&quot; &quot;infant,&quot; &quot;baby,&quot; etc. I now see that the title of this thread could incite a riot! Yikes.<BR><BR>Please note that I am asking for advice about where to base ourselves in or near Lisbon, knowing that we will have our son along (FYI - in a front carrier or backpack, not a stroller). Should we try to keep it to Lisbon - where the conference will be - or stay in Sintra or somewhere else for part of our 4 &quot;tourist&quot; days? Pre-baby we would always spend 2-4 days per city, but since we have never been to Portugal and may not make it back for several years, I want to experience as much as we can... within reason.<BR><BR>Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 02:00 PM

We have taken our children to Portugal...visiting Lisbon, Cascais and Sintra. We stayed in Lisbon and Cascais and visited Sintra for a day. Each place was great in its own way. Cascais was very relaxing while Lisbon was much busier.<BR><BR>Our children were 4 and 7 when we went, so I can't help you with infant stuff. But, in Cascais there were several grocery stores nearby that we were able to get anything we needed. <BR><BR>We have always enjoyed traveling with our children and even now they do remember quite a bit of their travels. I hope you have a great trip...and sorry I couldn't be more help.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 08:48 AM

I do not think there is any problem about staying in Lisbon for you. Trains to Sintra are frequent, cheap and fast and when you get there you can get a bus to all the sights - well, most - and get on and off at will. You can even go on by bus to cascais and return from there on an equally good service. Similarly you can work out a pleasant circular tour south of the river using two different ferries and buses. None of the transport bits mentioned are long enough to drive the young one mad [or, if they are, they are short enough for you to stay sane yourselves. E-mail me [email protected]<BR>if you would like my notes on Lisbon.
Old Feb 14th, 2003, 11:44 PM

We travelled with our baby in Portugal. We stayed in the south in the resort areas of Algarve. This was in Feb. and it was deserted so it made it quite easy with a baby with no crowds. There were some pretty tropical looking towns...Albufiera was a favorite, and Villamora. The weather was nice too. Bring an extra bag to bring ceramics home!
Old Feb 27th, 2003, 04:05 AM

kids and otehrs are always welcome in Portugal as you wrote they are more welcome then in the USA as in the USA most parents donte evn go out for dinner with kids they keep kids with baby seaters, not in Portugal. kids are everywhere with the family , enjoy your stay<BR><BR>I have found some sites that may help you, for hotels try:<BR>www.hotelsportugal.com<BR>for cars please check:<BR>www.portugal-spain.com<BR>www.drive-portugal.com<BR>www.travelers-portugal.com<BR>