Le General Hotel - Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After studying abroad as a college student in Paris 10 years ago, I'm finally returning for a visit!

We were thinking about staying at Le General Hotel on rue Rampon, but I honestly have no memory of this neighborhood. Any thoughts or comments about staying in this part of town? Is there stuff to do? Is transportation via metro convenient? We're young (30-31), and enjoy a bit of activity (and don't mind noise). Any opinions or suggestions for alternatives?
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Just retrieving this earlier message from the depths... anyone have any thoughts?? Thanks!
Old May 12th, 2005, 05:49 PM

That's a fairly new hotel and most regular posters have their favorites...
did you check on Tripadvisor.com for any recent reviews..?
Old May 12th, 2005, 06:45 PM

I viewed information on that hotel recently because I wanted to stay in the 11th/12th for a change, but it was a big farther north than I wanted this trip. It looked okay, although a bit more than I wanted to spend. However, sure, the area is fine and there is lots to do around there. It's just a bit SE of Republique and right near rue Oberkampf which is a center of activity, especially for your age range--cafes, bars, etc. It's right in-between the Republique metro stop (which is a major center for for metro line connections), and the Oberkampf stop which also has two lines, one going down to Bastille and then across the river to Austerlitz where you could transfer to a line going across the Left Bank area to St-Germain. So, the location is fine for public transportation.

I think it will be fine for you. There was another poster on here was stayed in a hotel near there recently (Hotel Verlain -- it was Keren) and she liked the area very much if you want to try to find her comments.
Old May 13th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll certainly be doing some follow-up searching...