Search

After Rome

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2005, 11:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After Rome

We are going to Rome with two grandchildren, boy 15, girl 14 who are cousins. We arrive in Rome on 15 June and have 5 nights reserved in an apartment.
We will have about 6 nights before we leave for Seattle.
We have been to Rome as well as the North several times so would like to stay in the South.
We plan to see Pompeii and Paestrum but not sure how it is best done. We can rent a car and drive from Rome...but where do we stay?
The Amalfi Coast sounds great but also sounds like a bit of a hassle if driving.
Is there somewhere else in the South that would be interesting for the kids?
We are pretty seasoned travelers but somehow just can't seem to get a handle on the area.

Old May 12th, 2005, 11:25 AM
ira

Hi gray,

>We plan to see Pompeii and Paestrum but not sure how it is best done.<

You could spend a few days in Naples.

You take the Circumvesuviana commuter train from the main train station to Pompeii Scavii.
You take the regular train from the main train station to Paestum.

Alternatively, you could stay in Sorrento. You get to Pompeii on the Circumvesuviana.

For Paestum, you can take the ferry to Salerno, the train to Paestum and return from Salerno on the SITA bus.

Schedules are at www.trenitalia.com and http://www.sita-on-line.it/

Old May 12th, 2005, 05:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorrento is a great base from which to see Pompei, Naples, Capri and the towns along the coast. It can all be done using public transportation, but if you want to splurge a little you can hire a car and driver for a day to see Positano, Amalfi and Ravello.
Old May 13th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies.

I think it makes sense to rent a car in Rome and drive to Sorrento. We can then use bus/train/boat to get around Amalfi area and to Pompeii and Paestrum.
We will still have the car if the traffic is not really bad and jammed up.

Does this sound reasonable?
Any great ideas on a hotel in Sorrento?
We need something with 3 beds.
Thanks again.
Old May 13th, 2005, 12:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lodging choices in Sorrento are quite varied. We would need to know your budget in order to provide appropriate recommendations. Also, is a pool a requirement, are you and your husband able to walk reasonable distances or do you need a hotel very close to transportation?
Old May 13th, 2005, 02:32 PM
ira

Hi g,

>I think it makes sense to rent a car in Rome and drive to Sorrento.<

I most respectfully demur, unless you are thrilled by the idea of sitting in long lines of traffic and trying to get by buses going the other way on the coast road.

Where will you put your car in Sorrento? How much will you pay to have a rental car sitting in a parking lot.

You can go from Rome to Sorrento in 3 hr or less for under 100E for the four of you.

See www.trenitalia.com

Old May 13th, 2005, 02:45 PM

I agree with Ira. We've been in Sorrento during June, and believe me, the last thing you'll want is a car! It's very easy to get most places by boat, which I find a much more pleasant alternative than the SITA buses that travel up and down the coast.

Although it's touristy, I would highly recommend a day trip from Sorrento to Capri and it's famous Blue Grotto. If the water's calm enough, your grandchildren will be able to swim in the grotto ( of course there's an extra charge for this!). My kids (same age as your grandchildren) absolutely loved it.

If you do make it to Capri, I also recommend a very cheap and excellent trattoria down at Marina Grande ( where the boats come in) called LO ZODIACO. Excellent food and pizza at very reasonable prices!

Have a wonderful time.
Old May 13th, 2005, 07:13 PM
Original Poster

I agree that the car is a bad idea. After reading the parking problems and charges...it does not make sense. We usually drive in Europe and it is hard to break habits.
The train looks to be the answer to get to Sorrento and return to Rome.

We are not so old that walking is a problem...but we do like to stay in a reasonable distance to the "action".

The main problem we are encountering is finding accommodations for the four of us. We need a double and two singles of some type.
Because of the amount of travel we do we do try to keep the price down where possible. I would like to find something in the center for 180 Euros or so.
A pool would be a plus for the kids, but not necessary.

We have been in Rome and the North many times but have never been to the South. We have an apartment in Campo de Fioni reserved so should be in a good location in Rome.
We will do a day trip to Capri with the kids.
Just need to nail down Sorrento.
Thanks again for the replies.