Search

Hotel Banville

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Banville

Has anyone stayed at Hotel Banville recently? I read on Tripadvisor that in February they were undergoing major renovations. How did you like the area? Sounds like there are some restaurants in the area. Any recommendations?

Thanks.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:51 PM

This hotel is in Paris, isn't it? If it is,then it's in the 17th district. I stayed in the 17th once but it was near Etoile and the Champs Elysees. I didn't find that area appealing honestly.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 12:33 AM

Hotel Baville seems to be near POrte de Champerret metro station...in the 17th...Apparently, you have the budget to stay in a 3 star hotel..so, I would not choose this location, it is very far in the 17th...You can find a 3 star hotel nearer from Paris center...
Near Champs Elysees, I stayed in a 3 star hotel called Elysees Mermoz, it is a wonderful hotel, modern and "chic"...I really loeved staying in this hotel. It is in the 8th, near Saint Philippe du Roule metro station.
You can see it on http://www.helyseesmermoz.com
Have a nice trip in Paris!
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 07:22 AM

Hi, Ronda. I saw your other post re: the Hotel de Banville, then linked over here and found your question.

We stayed there in May 2003 and really loved it (in fact, one of the more glowing TripAdvisor reports is mine). The hotel was well-appointed, staff were helpful and friendly, the hot chocolate rivals the best in town. We also liked the neighborhood a lot. We were there during a metro strike, so we just stayed in the neighborhood and the adjacent quarters, wandering down to the Parc Monceau and Etoile, the Madeleine and Opera areas, and the Grands Magazins/Grands Boulevards. There was a brocante on the rue des Courcelles one day and we bought all sorts of cool things.

It is a little quiet in the quartier, and it is certainly upscale and residential, but if you've been to Paris before and don't feel the need to have "the sights" outside your doorstep, the Banville and its neighborhood are an excellent choice.

Old Jun 11th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for the double question but I did "click" on my name over the period inbetween the posts, and the original post never popped up. Don't know why. Perhaps the indexing was slow.

Thanks for the info. Many of the hotels are having wonderful summer rates so we are staying at the Banville for less than a two star in the Marais. We will be here for 3 days and then move over to the Invaldies area. It is my sisters' first time to Paris so it will be a slow introduction but I think they will enjoy recooping from jet lag at an almost 4 star hotel.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 06:01 PM

Well, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but as lovely as the Banville is, I wouldn't say it's almost 4 star, especially not if you have U.S. 4 stars in mind.

Think upscale boutique hotel instead. And of course, it all depends on what room you have. There's a world of difference between the named Suites (which are pictured on the web site) and rooms and the lowest priced, run-of-house rooms. Ours was somewhere in between--spacious enough, charming enough, and with a lovely view, but not nearly as posh as the Banville suite or the chambres d'Amelie or Julie.

Old Jun 11th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tip, Elle. We are in the only triple room in the hotel on the 7th floor. I am told it has a view but don't know about a balcony. The price was right, it has air conditioning, so it will be fine for 3 nights. I am assuming it has an elevator.
Old Jun 11th, 2005, 09:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I see this hotel listed in my French magazines alot. It was built in 1928. In an old book I have it says the paintings throughout the hotel were by Mme Lambert's right hand man Jean-Pierre.
The eight floor is supposed to have sweeping views.
metro stop, Péreire, Porte-de-Champeret
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 04:22 AM

We were on the 6th floor, and if I'm remembering correctly, there was a little balcony above ours and to the left that probably belongs to your suite. That triple room is probably quite lovely--I look forward to hearing your report.

There is indeed an elevator, although we loved the staircase so much that we didn't use the elevator very often--except on checking in and checking out, when we had bags.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the facts cigla. Very interesting. Now if I only knew who Mme Lambert and her right hand man Jean-Pierre were! Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Great firsthand info, elle; I really appreciate it. I am so nervous about this trip as I am planning it for my two sisters and me and I want everything to go well. I have been many times but they haven't been before.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 10:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Banville is Mme Lambert's hotel.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Are there any little cafes in the area where we can get breakfast rather than eat in the hotel?
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Yes, on Place Marechal Juin, and also on the rue de Courcelles, I believe.