Need help finding Paris hotel

Oct 2nd, 2004, 08:02 PM
Original Poster

Need help finding Paris hotel

We are staying in Paris Oct 23 - 27 and are having trouble finding a hotel for me and my husband. We are willing to spend $150 - $200/night. We prefer a location that is easy to get to all of the sites (will take Metro) and fairly quiet at night (not too crowded or loud). Willing to entertain any location at this point. Just want something clean and not too depressing! Thanks!
Oct 2nd, 2004, 08:27 PM

I don't have to tell you this is a popular time to go to Paris - I'm sure you have already discovered that while searching! You might want to avoid the area around the Sorbonne, nothing wrong with it, but if you want quiet, that is not the place. I am sure others can point you to some specific hotels, but in the meantime you might want to check those listed for your dates at http://www.venere.com You might want to concentrate your search on the 1,4,6,7 or 8th arrondisments. Paris is very easy to navigate, as long as you are near a metro stop you can reach almost anything! When you find a hotel that you are interested in, go to tripadvisor.com and check the reviews of the hotel from people who have actually stayed there. You might want to try the Hôtel Caron de Beaumarchais in the Marais (4th) very charming, might not be available but it's worth a try, their phone number is 01-42-72-34-12. Good luck!
Oct 2nd, 2004, 09:49 PM

We stayed at Jeanne D' Arc in the Marais, it was a nice hotel, great location and friendly staff. Do a search on fodors. Many people in this site have stayed there.
Oct 2nd, 2004, 10:12 PM

Yes, but you usually have to book several months ahead for the Jeanne d'Arc.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:19 AM

kvp, we stayed at a lovely little hotel nicely comlimented with the BEST location in Paris. Hotel de Notre Dame is centrally located on the left bank, no more than 100 yards from the Seine. (This is the hotel on Rue Maitre Albert.) You can easily walk to all the central Paris sites. And there are all those restaurants/cafes on the Iles to choose from! Metro access is good.

The rate is around 160 euros/double. Room was clean and well-appointed. Bath was larger than most and modern. It's on a one-way tiny medieval street...there was no overnight traffic noise. We were there at exactly that same time...lovely. The plane trees have turned golden and their leaves carpet the misty streets. Heavenly!

Hotel de Notre Dame:
http://www.hotel-paris-notredame.com/index.html

Trip Advisor reviews:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...de_France.html
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:23 AM
ira

Hi k,

We always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte in the 6th. Within your budget. They might have a room.
Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67

Also try www.laterooms.com
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:51 AM

hi,

In 2001 we stayed at the Hotel Du Bois on Rue Du Rome. It is about 2 blocks from the Arc du Triumph and the Champs Elysees.

The hotel is considered one of the 3 star "charming hotels". I have to say that we loved this hotel. The rooms are huge compared to most paris hotels and the bathrooms are also big. The hotel shares a corner with a main road Victor hugo, but the noise is negliable.

The reason for 3 star and not 4 star. It does not have air conditioning, but at this time of year you do not need it. It also does not have an elevator or a full service restuarant.

Your room usually includes a cont. Breakfast in the morning.

We found this location to be absolutely wonderful. There is a major metro station just 2 blocks up on the Champs and another smaller one about 4 blocks over (Kleber). This metro goes direct to the Eiffel.

The rooms are tastefully decorated, spacious, and the hotel staff very accommodating.

I loved the Champs area. It has lots of restuarants, movie theatres, shops etc. It also has the main tourist office. The main metro line outside the hotel (which runs under the Arc) means that tourist attractions are within one or two stops.

One thing, I am a little worried about your time here. Most paris hotels are booked weeks in advance.

Try this hotel, they have a website:

www.hoteldubois.com

hope this helps!

erinb
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:54 AM

These hotels show availability on www.hotelsearch-in-paris.com
Others will have to speak to their 'noise' level...
Check Tripadvisor.com for comments, too.

ELYSEES MERMOZ
30 Rue Jean Mermoz (Paris, 8e)
http://www.helyseesmermoz.com/hten/index.html

BELLOY SAINT GERMAIN
2 Rue Racine (Paris, 6e)
http://www.belloy-saint-germain.com/

HOTEL SAINT PAUL
43 Rue Monsieur le Prince (Paris, 6e)
http://www.h-saintpaul.com/
Oct 3rd, 2004, 06:56 AM

p.s. the 'main tourist office' on the Champs is closed. There are satellite offices in various locations, which can be found on www.paris-touristoffice.com
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:27 AM

..another last minute site (within 3 weeks) ratestogo.com...
Oct 3rd, 2004, 10:14 AM

Dacia Luxembourg
41 Boulevard Saint-Michel
Latin Quarter near Sorbonne
www.dacia-paris-hotel.com

Nice place, excellent location if they happen to have a vacancy, it's just what you describe.
Oct 3rd, 2004, 04:39 PM

erinb:
Have you ever seen the movie "Until September"? Karen Allen stays at the Hotel du Bois in that movie. I don't believe the interior scenes were there, but I recognized the exterior and the steps out at the street. Ooo la la...hot movie!
http://www.mgm.com/title_title.do?title_star=UNTILSEP
Oct 3rd, 2004, 08:33 PM

All of October is a terribly busy time in Paris...many trade shows, fashion shows etc. You are finding this out by now, I'm sure, and perhaps something will show up. I've heard it is near to impossible to find a room in Oct, unless booked WAY in advance, and the Prices are jacked WAY up also for that time. If you can't change dates, then I imagine you can get something...but it will take some time and effort, and hopefully one of the tourist offices can help you.
Oct 4th, 2004, 08:05 AM

Dear KVP4!!
I agree with one of the hotel proposed by Travelnut: the Hotel Elysees Mermoz( www.helyseesmermoz.com). It is really a great hotel. I just spent one night in this hotel for my jo hopefully it was my boss who paid)..and I really appreciated this hotel for its decoration and its location! Their rooms are big and really modern! Have a good trip and good luck for your search!
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:44 AM

Hi,

You do an online reservation request at the Claude Bernard
http://www.123france.com/123/fr/plan.php?id_hot=519

Or Timhotels chain. Timphotel Opera had rooms for your dates. I've stayed at TImhotel Jardins des PLantes. NOthing fancy, but fine.

http://www.timhotel.com/hotels/us/index.html
Mike
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:47 AM

We stayed a week at the claude bernard in August 2003. it was fine - nice enough rooms, a/c (not a biggie in October), nice breakfast room, excellent location. very helpful staff and an elevator. while I booked on line, I also called the hotel directly to confirm size of room, location and bedding configuration.
Oct 4th, 2004, 10:50 AM

If you'd like the Right Bank (and I do) you can try for a room at the Brighton.
Always gets good reviews here and elsewhere, great location.
Oct 4th, 2004, 11:06 AM

as of today, lots of rooms open on Laterooms.com close enough to your budget...
Oct 6th, 2004, 12:57 PM

I stayed in a darling studio apartment in the Latin Quarter on rue Mouffetard this summer. My 14 yr old son and I loved the area which was lively. In fact, he often rode the metro back to the apartment by himself in the afternoons when he got bored with my shopping and museum walks. I gave him a few euros and he would buy a snack at a nearby restaurant or crepe stand even though he doesn't speak much French. I found it on www.vrbo.com(vacation rentals by owner) You can see it by typing in www.vrbo.com/31087. Availability calendars are included on most vrbo apartments.
Oct 7th, 2004, 01:40 PM
tmt

We had the same problem a few weeks ago trying to book a room for this past week. We stayed at the Hotel Ile de France Opera for 150 Euros including continental breakfast. (Folks think its less expensive to go out, but with the prices I saw, I think the hotel great coffee, 3 "breads", good OJ, musli, was not a bad deal at all. Their web site or Orbitz should offer a double at that price. Room 12 was a good size and french decorated...the lobby was 2 star modern though. The room next to us was a bit smaller but nice too. Both on the front, but side street so not much noise. 3 minute walk to Metro Opera (3 lines I think) and 15 minute walk slow walk to the Louvre. Oh yeah, the desk persons were very nice.

www.hotel-paris-ascot.com (they own 2 hotels near each other)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO