Search

Last minute trip Amsterdam, Prague and Paris, HELP

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2009, 10:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last minute trip Amsterdam, Prague and Paris, HELP

Hi,

My boyfriend and I just booked a trip to Europe leaving in a week and a half, with that said I have a lot to do very quickly.

We are flying from SFO to Amsterdam, we arrive at 7am on December 22nd. My thought is to stay 3 nights in Amsterdam as we have both been there before. Help in Amsterdam, hotels, restaurants, etc. We are thinking about booking on hotwire, has anyone done this? How many stars and what area? Being from San Francisco we also love food, so any advice on great, but not crazy expensive restaurants would be great.

From Amsterdam we are planning to travel to Prague, what is best, fly or train? Since we don't have a ton of time we want what will be most efficient. The plan is to then spend 4 nights in Prague, December 25th-29th. Again, hotwire has a 5 star hotel for $99 per night in Central Prague, is this the right area? Does anyone know what hotel it could possibly be? In Prague we plan to check out the city, I would love to travel to Cesky Krumlov for a day but that might be a little ambitious given our short time there. Again, any great restaurants would be helpful, we also love wines so any wine bars that would introduce us to the wines from the region since we will not have time to go to any of the wineries themselves.

From Amsterdam we will travel to Paris on December 29th. We have both been to Paris but I am dying to see it in the winter. We will be in Paris for 2 nights and return to the states on December 31st. I would love to stay at a boutique hotel in Paris that does not break the bank. Also, any recommendation for a romantic off the beaten path restaurant would be great. I want the romantic Paris.

I know this is long, but appreciate any help!! Thank you!!
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 03:49 AM
ira

topping
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 03:56 AM

bookmarking
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 04:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
kayak.com Hi; If you have a 'ton' of money, you can fly non-stop to Prague in 1 1/2 hours. And then non-stop to Paris in 1 3/4 hours. Add at least 3 hours for each 'leg' and it's probably close to 5 hours for each flight. I think check the train to Prague. You spend a good amount of time, so you can spend more time on a train. Then fly to Paris, as you only have two days, on 'Smart Wings for $274 PP. It is a 6am flight. Check it out on Kayak. For resterants in Amsterdam, I had 25 people for dinner at D'theeboom [French] and it was lovely. www.theeboom.com Richard
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 04:39 AM

For your Amsterdam hotel see the TripAdvisor Netherlands forum and look for the "Bidding on a 4 star" thread. It's usually in the top 2 pages. Priceline's "Name Your Own Price" will get you a 4 star or better in the Centraal/Museum area for under $100 US.
Hard to beat a deal like that.

Check http://www.betterbidding.com and biddingfortravel.com for advice and hotel lists.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 05:13 AM
tod

sarabara79 - I have been hard at work for you looking through my library of books on Paris and can steer you to these suggestions from the EyeWitness Travel Guide called Top 10 Paris. It lists all the ten; Best Romantic, budget, luxury, great location hotels, medium priced, famous name, Rooms with a view and family friendly hotels.
Naturally I would suggest you run out and buy the dear little book but in the meantime here are some:

ROMANTIC:
Hotel d'Aubusson
www.hoteldaubusson.com

Le Relais Christine
www.relais-christine.com

Hotel Caron de Beaumarchais
www.carondebeaumarchais.com

Hotel Favart
www.hotel-paris-favart.com

Aviatic Hotel
www.aviatic.fr

Hotel du Danube
www.hoteldanube.fr

GREAT LOCATIONS:

Hotel Edouard V11
www.edouard7hotel.com

Brighton Hotel
www.esprit-de-france.com

Hotel du Jeu Paume
[email protected]

ROOMS WITH A VIEW:
Les Rives de Notre-Dame
www.rivesdenotredame.com

Hotel Square
www.hotelsquare.com

Hotel Quai Voltair
www.quaivoltaire.fr

Terrass Hotel
www.terrasshotel.com

Have a peek at some of them on their web-links.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 10:01 AM

Train from Amsterdam to Prague would be interminable - definitely look for a decent flight. Prague is famous for beer - not wine - while there the wines we were served were either French, italian or german.

Central Prague is not a great description of a hotel area. It could be convenient nd pleasant, unpleasant (there are a couple of areas where hookers abound) and not very convenient. I would look at other options unless you can identify a specific hotel. (You want to be either in old town or stare mesto.)
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 10:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with nytraveler about the Prague hotel. You want to know which hotel and where.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 11:00 AM

The cheapest direct flight to Prague I found from Schiphol is €389 pp on Christmas day, leaving at 19.25, with Czech Airlines. All the other flights are more expensive and/or involve transfers.
Maybe you should reconsider the Prague leg of the trip and spend longer in Paris?
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 11:20 AM

Don't forget that overnight trains run the Amsterdam-Prague route (with a change of trains in Germany) and from Prague to Paris you can take a day train to Munich or Vienna then hop an overnight train to Paris - save hotel costs too. Most would rather fly but if into trains this itinerary is very possible with overnight trains - and if doing all that by rail then look at the Eurail Select Saver Pass 4 country - good in Germany, Czech Republic, Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg) and France - it's a first class pass if over 25 and there are many benefits IME with first class - you could also use it to do day trips from say Amsterdam or to go to Cesky Krumlov, etc. For loads on European trains for those not versed i always point out - www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 02:24 PM

The Hotel Brouwer in Amsterdam is wonderful! It is in a prime location on the Singel Canal and all rooms overlook the canal. There is a very small elevator (not common in Amsterdam hotels that were converted from homes). The rooms are charming but plain. Our room was quite large and had a spacious bathroom. Every room has a bathroom and breakfast is included. The entire facility is very clean. It is a beautiful historic building and a double room incl breakfast is just 95 euros.
www.hotelbrouwer.nl
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 02:30 PM

I have also stayed in the Hotel William in Prague and recommend it heartily. It is on the Castle side of the river and is right on a major tram line. It is just a 5 minute walk to the Charles Bridge but it is in a quiet location. Our room was large, comfortable, clean and had a small but perfectly adequate bathroom. The staff was very helpful and pleasant.

http://www.williamhotelprague.com
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 07:11 PM

My Thomas Cook Rail Timetable shows a CityNightLine (CNL) direct from Amsterdam (d 19h01) to Prague hlavni (a 09h56). For info on night trains see http://tinyurl.com/y57vft. The night train will save you a day of travel and the cost of a hotel night. Bring your dinner aboard to save money.

The Prague (Praha) train stations are dens of panhandlers and con artists. Be on guard.

I wouldn't return to Amsterdam to go to Paris. There is a CNL from Prague hlavni (d 18h29) to Frankfurt (a 04h00, terrible) and a connecting train (d 06h00) to Paris (a 09h50).

Confirm the train times since my timetable is from April 2009.
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 03:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; spaarne suggestion is perhaps your best chance of getting to Prague from Amsterdam. It is an overnight with no connections. No hotel to pay for. Cost is $346US for two people. The time spaarne gave is still in effect. Richard www.raileurope.com
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Hi All,

Thank you for the help. We cannot seem to decide on our cities, now its looking like Prague, Amsterdam and Budapest, maybe with a side trip to Tokaj and Eger. We are also trying to extend the trip a little to make this all possible.

The most important thing I am trying to figure out at the moment is where to spend Christmas, Prague or Budapest? We want the city that will still have the most going on with the most things to do. We do not so much care about Christmas festivities, and do not want to be somewhere that is completely shut down.

Thank you again for all the help!!

Sara
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 12:54 AM

My suggestion for Amsterdam would be to get a self-catered apartment, opposed to a hotel. This is much more interesting in my opinion. A good option for this would be any of the apartments on www.bookamsterdamapartments.com, which are all great, and located in the heart of the centre close to all the main sites.

good luck!
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 12:49 PM

Prague to Amsterdam is listed as a direct train but an aquaintance who just took it said he had to change trains in Cologne - i'll have to look it up as i am considering such a train in the near future.
Old Dec 27th, 2009, 06:16 AM

No, it's a through train, the Phoenix, Amsterdam to Prague direct.

To see what it looks like, see www.seat61.com/citynightline.htm

Stroll to Amsterdam's Centraal station, board your snug sleeper, travel overnight to central Prague, stroll from the station to your hotel.

No check-in, no airports, no hassle!

Book he train at www.bahn.de and print out your own ticket, from 59 euros in a couchette or from 89 euros in a 2-bed sleeper, with shower at thge end of the corridor. Deluxe sleepers with en suite shower and toilet also available...