2 weeks Europe 3 options. Paris +?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning a 2 week trip as of june 1st with my wife and 1 1/2 year old baby.
Paris is a must. Options include:
1) Paris + train to south of france then stay in provence or riviera (will drive)
2) Paris for a week, (or 5 days) then fly to Venice, and drive south towards Florence fly out of rome
3) Paris plus drive to switzerland, and south of germany.

Wife has never been to Europe before. Of course she wants to see everything.
Really interested in all of the countries, having a very hard time making a decision, hoping for some advice. After browsing through the forums for countless hours, we are still undecided. Help please!
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 07:38 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I don't think the driving between Venice/Florence is particularly attractive. It would be easier to train Venice/Florence unless there was some specific site you wanted to visit.

With only two weeks, I would stick with one country.
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 08:52 PM

I think option 2 sounds a bit too cramped for a 2 week trip. You could easily spend a week plus in just Paris, Venice or Rome, for example. 2 and 3 also sound like more time traveling, whereas 1 seems pretty doable, and it's fairly quick now to get to South of France from Paris. Maybe something like Paris - Loire Valley - South of France?
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 09:31 PM

Hi nostrum,

There are fast trains that link Paris to a few spots in Switzerland; you may want to use the Paris-Bern link and spend four or five days in the villages of the Berner Oberland. You could settle in a lovely car-free Alpine village like Wengen or Mürren and spend your days walking or hiking Alpine trails, cruising Alpine lakes, or just taking cable cars up to mountain top restaurants. You could ascend the Top of Europe (the Jungfraujoch) and also visit other Alpine villages.

After four or five days, you could move on to the city of Luzern, which many consider to be all-of-Switzerland in one place. It sits at the foot of some mountains and by a system of lakes, so it has plenty of options to keep you busy.

After two days, then move on to Zürich for your flight out.

No need to rent a car for your Swiss portion -- trains there are convenient, efficient, and FUN. In fact, many places you'll want to see don't allow cars, and you'll end up paying for parking most of the time.

I think you don't really have the time to include Germany in this trip. I would spend one week in Paris and then one week in Switzerland. In fact, considering you are travelling with a child, I would recommend you have only two stops in Switzerland: either the Berner Oberland and Luzern, the Berner Oberland and Zürich, or Luzern and Zürich.

You can research the train trips at the Swiss rail site:

www.rail.ch

Sites for research on these areas:

www.myjungfrau.ch
www.luzern.org
www.lakelucerne.ch
www.zuerich.com

Have fun!

s
Old Dec 25th, 2009, 09:33 PM

Hi again,

Forgot to add that if you buy your Paris-Switzerland train tickets about 89 days early, you can get fares as low as 25-50E per person.

s
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 02:50 AM

I think the least favorite of your 3 options for me would be paris plus the south of france, unless you are very keen on the sea and swimming. But above all, I recommend that you think about how you want to deal with the mobility of your small child. Stroller? Carrying in a halter or backpack? Hoping the toddler will enjoy walking? Will you be packing a lot of gear for the toddler that you'll need to carry up and down train staircases or get through airport security?

I've seen parents carrying their small children in Switzerland on hiking trails. If you don't want to do that, you might not want to spend a week in the Swiss mountains. Italy in general is not stroller-friendly, and places like Firenze have a lot of busy auto-traffic. (Venice is car-free but has a LOT of small bridges.)

Were it me, I might add Belgium and Amsterdam as possible destinations. But if you continue to think about Italy, think about what kind of vacation you want with a small child. Someplace like Lucca might work better than Firenze, or a flat Umbrian town like Bevagna might make for a good base, or an agriturismo with a pool, with easy day trips to places like Assisi.
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 05:19 AM

It's hard for me to imagine the logistics of getting around Rome, Venice, or Florence with a baby, luggage, diapers, etc. Wherever you go, it's easiest if you can plunk down in one place for 5-7 days and venture out on daytrips here and there rather than moving about on a schedule.

You should try to minimize the ground travel too. If Paris is a must, okay, get an apartment there for a week. You could do as steps above suggests and head to Belgium (Bruges? Sort of the Venice of the North) or head to Germany (only 3.5 hours to the Roman city of Trier by train, a few minutes more to attracive Cochem, the heart of the Mosel River valley) where you could easily find an apartment and do some castle-snooping and river cruising:

http://www.mosel-reisefuehrer.de/mos...ightsengl.html
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 05:46 AM

I think any of your options are fine with minor modifications. Do you want to drive because of the baby? In some respects it is easier with a small child to have a car because if the child gets fussy you can always retreat to the car and it will hopefully sleep whereas if you need to be walking /waiting for public transportation, etc. it can be difficult. So if that's your thinking then pick a destination where driving makes sense. If that was not your thinking, and/or your child is not a great car rider, then most of your destinations are better done with out a car.

Also, how important is it to you to see different countries. Most first timers want a taste of at least a couple of countries.

If just staying in France is fine for you, and you want a car trip and a base from which to do day trips then I'd pick the Provence option.

If you want more than one country either the Italy or Switzerland trip makes sense but I wouldn't rent a car, I'd do them by train as posters above suggested.

If you do want more than one country, and you do want a car then perhaps rent a car as you leave Paris, drive up to Germany and maybe see the Rhine Valley. And Trier and Cochem as suggested above. I did that area last year by train and wished I'd had a car.

If you still can't decide check out photo galleries of the places you are considering and see which areas "grab" you the most. I've got photos of all the places you are considering at: www.pbase.com/annforcier
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 06:06 AM

I flew from Paris (after a week in northern France) to Geneva a few years ago. From there I went to Vevey, then on to Zermatt and then finally Pontresina (Engadin - near St. Moritz). You can pick up the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St. Moritz, too. That's a stunning train ride.

I would even say if you are going to go to the Engadin region, Guarda is even more beautiful than Pontresina (close call to be sure, but it is, IMHO).
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 06:32 AM
ira

Hi Nos,

Fly into Paris, Take train to
A. Strasbourg or
B. Dijon/Beaune or
C. Avignon or
D. Lyon

Rent car, stay 6 nights, train back to Paris. Stay 6 nights, fly home

OR

Fly to London, stay 6 nights, train to Paris - 6 nights, fly home.

In Paris, we always stay at the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 Rue Bonaparte in the 6th. From 134E dbl w/bkfst. It is just around the corner from Place St. Sulpice, near 3 metro stops and 4 bus routes. Has AC and an elevator. They have triples and can provide a baby bed.

The staff speaks English well, and is very helpful. The front desk is staffed 24/7

They can arrange a shuttle pickup to/from CDG for you.

Tel 33 1 43 26 97 37
FAX 33 1 46 33 57 67
[email protected]
www.hotelbonaparte.fr

For more info, enter "Hotel Bonaparte" in the "search the forum" box.

You might also find these helpful.

Paris Superthread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34519236

100 Great Things to Do in Paris
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...=2&tid=1277898

Degas’s Paris Walks
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34712768

Kerouac’s Ethnic Walk
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35095155

Jacquemart-André Museum
http://www.musee-jacquemart-andre.com/en/jacquemart/

Can't help much with other places to stay with a baby.

Old Dec 26th, 2009, 06:50 AM

I think Swandav's plan of Paris and then Switzerland sounds wonderful. This might be a start of a trip plan for me!
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 07:17 AM

I would chose number 2 with a couple of changes. Paris 5 or 6 days - fly to Venice - train to Florence. I would fly out of Florence and not go to Rome.

Paris - 6 days (you can take day trips out of Paris)
Venice - 3 days
Florence - 3 days

If you pick option 1, I would rent a car and go to the Loire Valley and other places in France. It is easy to drive in France and a lot to see. Carcassonne, Mont St Michel, the beaches of Normandy etc.

Option 3. Rent a car or fly from Paris to Munich and rent a car in Munich. Paris - Bavaria - Salzburg, Austria - fly out of Munich.
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Really really appreciate the responses! Thank you all so much for the feedback so far. And thanks for the link to the photos, Isabel, great photos!
The staying in France option was most about ease. We are planning on renting an apartment in each destination.
I honestly love to drive and would definitely consider doing the train in 'traffic heavy' areas but would love to do some scenic driving.

We do have a backpack carrier and would probably use that the most for our son. We rarely use it at home but on a recent trip we used it all the time and it was great!
The Italy photos always look so stunning, but I think it's definitely the most complicated of the possibilities. Unless we do just pick a base in Umbria as one poster mentioned and do some day trips.

We've heard so many mixed reviews about Venice. I went as a teenager and I would love my wife to see it but lately collegues and friends who were there in the summer (which I'm sure is a big factor) they really didn't LOVE it and said they wished they would have skipped it for more time in a different town.

Definitely going to look into some of the other options suggested! Belgium, and more into Switzerland.
We really aren't sure when we'll be able to go back, and just want to see some beautiful sites. I do know how challenging it is shuffling around with our toddler so trying to think what would be best in reality vs. the imagined 'ease' of travelling from one country to the next!
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 07:27 AM

Sorry to hear that about Venice. I have been in Venice twice and loved it both times. Once in May 4 years ago and last October. I would never consider skipping Venice.

Everyone should see Venice at least one time.

Renting a car at Orly is an easy drive going south out of Paris.
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Brats,
totally fine to skip Rome. Your France options sound great too! My wife has always wanted to see all of those places. They all sound like great options....
I am originally from England living in Canada, however my wife has pretty much never ventured out of Ontario so which would be the best scenic experience for her do you all think?
Thanks again!
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 07:57 AM

>>which would be the best scenic experience for her do you all think?<<

All those places are very scenic (weve visited all the places mentioned here - least favorite is Germany/Cochem/Trier/Rhine).

However, I would try to:
1. Minimize your transit time
2. Get an apt/gite/villa that is comfortable, has a nice garden or yard, and allows for a few "do nothing" days or afternoons for you to just hang out by the pool in case your 1 1/2 YO poops out (or you do too).

Slugging around a 1/12 YO in Venice or Florence (I love both places) sounds like a lot of effort - especially if you can't find a large comfortable place to stay if you need an afternoon of rest. Also, 3 large crowded cities back-to-back (Paris, Venice, Florence) defies one of my "rules" (mix quiet countryside with cities). Taking trains/gondolas/rack rails, etc in Switzerland might be a tad difficult too - sometimes we needed 2-3 seperate "rides" just to get to a popular destination close to where we were staying.

Your option 1 sounds the best to me:
1. Fly to Paris, rent an Apt & stay there 1 week
2. Take the 3 hr TGV to Avignon, rent a Gite with a private pool for 1 week & explore Provence.
3. Fly home from Marseilles

If you push your vacation back & start about June 13, you might catch lavender blooming in Provence.

I have a 27 page itinerary for Provence & the Cote d'Azur. I also have a 20 page itinerary for Italy that includes Venice, Florenc, & Tuscany. I've sent them to well over 1,500 people on Fodors. If you want one or both, e-mail me at [email protected] & I'll send them to you

Stu Dudley
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 08:06 AM

I agree with Stu that option 1 is the best, given that you're traveling with a small child. And that you like driving. Switzerland is better using public transportation; some highly desireable destinations are not reachable by car.

You don't have to see everything the first time; you will return.
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM

Do you mean scenic anywhere or just in France?

IMO, Venice is very scenic - the ferry ride to the islands of Murano and Burano are scenic if you like water.

Bavaria is very beautiful- very scenic.

In France, we visited a castle that was being built according to plans drawn up in the 13th century. http://www.guedelon.fr/ This is also in an area where they use the clay to make pottery. We purchased pottery from a lady who lived in the country in that area.

We liked Fontainbleau Chateau, Versailles, the castles in the Loire Valley and Mont St Michel is extra-ordinary.

Wherever you go, you will love it. It is exciting and so much to see and do.

If you go to Florence you can take a day trip to Pisa and/or San Gimignano which is the city of towers.

If you want true scenic experience then head for Norway and the fjords. Very beautiful. Norway in a Nutshell trip from Oslo to Bergen is a fantastic journey. http://www.norwaynutshell.com/default.asp

Gosh I better get my suitcase out - my feet are getting itchy to go on a trip - anywhere.
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 07:04 PM

In June of 2007 I visited Provence for a week then Paris for a week. I chose to go to Provence first so that I would be jetlagged in Provence rather than in Paris which hardly sleeps.

Below is the Provence portion of my trip. This was only my second visit to Provence so I'm not an expert. My days were packed full as the goal was to see as much as possible rather than relax. I stayed in Avignon three nights without a car then rented a car and stayed in St. Remy four nights.

I "overfilled" my itinerary (armed with information gleaned from these boards, Stu Dudley's info, and guidebooks) then drop things or move them to another day if necessary. My favorite "must sees" were Les Baux and St. Paul Monastery.

Most of the market days have similar products so IMO, if you've seen one, you've seen them all. There are alot of so-called "provencal" items that are made elsewhere and brought to sell to tourists at the markets. I actually liked the market at St. Remy better than the more famous one at Isle sur la Sorgue.
-Ann Marie

Saturday
TGV to Avignon (pop.88,312) Jetlag day/no big plans
-Take Tourist train for an orientation of town
-Walk rue des Teinturiers- Picturesque street dotted w/cafes, galleries and shops. The River Sorgue enters the city's walls and runs along this street. There are a number of water wheels in varying condition remaining from the days when fabric print dyers used them. There are little bridges to cross.
-Wander Avignon shops as they may be closed Sunday/Monday.
Stay in Avignon.

Sunday
Isle sur la Sorgue (pop 20,700) The Venice of Provence
Via bus or train from Avignon for the morning market
-The Grandaddy of All Markets(antiques, crafts, produce)runs until about 12:30pm
-Notre-Dame des Anges- 12th C. baroque church but with 17th C Louis XIV propagandist architectural additions for a big WOW factor
-Three 12th C. waterwheels
Bus or train back to Avignon
-Villeneuve-lez-Avignon- From Avignon cross the Rhone on the bridge signed "Ile Piot", turn right on the far bank & follow signs for Villeneuve a few hundred metres along. This perfect little village is stuffed with amazing Medieval buildings. The village square has several good bar/restaurants serving reasonably priced local dishes
-Fort Saint André was built in the 13th and 14th centuries by Philip the Fair. Inside its beautiful walls, sits the Saint Andre Abbey, w/Italian style gardens and a beautiful view of Avignon & Pont Benezet.
-Chartreuse of Val de Bénédiction- Carthusian Monastery, founded by Pope Innocent VI, is one of the largest in Europe. The complex has three cloisters, a church and a chapel with beautiful frescoes.
Stay in Avignon

Monday
Tour Avignon sites
-Musee du Petit Palais- displays Church’s medieval Italian painting and sculpture. Good to visit before palais to see what once furnished palais.
-Palace du Papes- Construction began in 1335 and was completed in less than twenty years, biggest Gothic palace in all of Europe (15,000 m2 of floor space, the equivalent of 4 Gothic cathedrals. Audioguide free w/entry fee
Wine Cellar at the Palace of the Popes- the “Bouteillerie”, has an educational approach to the Côtes du Rhône wines, offering the public a “guided” wine tasting of over forty wine choices selected by a committee of wine professionals and enthusiastic amateurs in a blind selection process. Free admission
-Hike up (or take train from palais for 2 euros) to parc des Rochers des Doms for a panoramic view of river valley and St Bénezet bridge- built in 12th C
Stay in Avignon

Tuesday
Pick up car at Avignon TGV station
-Pont du Gard (25 min from Avignon) Three-level stone aqueduct crossing the Gardon river valley. Built over 2000 years ago, 19 BC, by Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa, the son-in-law of Augustus. http://www.pontdugard.fr
-Uzes (pop. 8,000) 30 min from Pont du Gard TI on ring road place Albert 1er has self-guided walking tour brochures in English. A charming town with a wonderful pedestrian center and many interesting shops, especially for pottery.
-Tarascon (pop. 12,991) 35 min. from Uzes
Narrow medieval streets, ancient walls & old fortified arched doorways, pretty arcades, lots of little shops & cafés.
-St. Remy (pop. 9,429) 17 min. from Tarascon
Birthplace of physician and prophet Nostradamus in 1503 and retreat of Van Gogh in 1888
Joel Durand chocolate shop, 3 blvd Victor Hugo - free samples! http://www.chocolat-durand.com/en/
Le Petit Duc, 7 blvd Victor Hugo- antique cookies
Stay at Hotel Soleil in St. Remy http://www.hotelsoleil.com

Wednesday
Morning market in St. Remy, spend a couple of hours
-Glanum Foundations of a Roman market town on the trade route between Italy & Spain
-Les Baux de Provence (pop. 443) http://www.lesbauxdeprovence.com/home.html
Medieval ghost town & castle ruins, 15 minutes from St. Remy,allow a couple of hours. Park as close to top as possible (take ticket & pay at machine below town entry next to telephone & bakery)
-Maussane les Alpilles (pop. 2,003)6K from Les Baux, olive trees and countryside (drive through)
Mouries(pop. 2,525)4K from Maussane small, picturesque village surrounded by hills & fields of olive trees at the foot of the Alpilles, 3 olive oil mills in operation can be visited all year round: Christian Rossi's modern mill, the Co-operative mill and the Vaudoret organic mill.
Random stops at family run wineries, honey and olive oil producers.
Return to St. Remy
-Walk to St. Paul Monastery (12th C asylum where Van Gogh sought treatment) & walk the footpath leading back to town with 21 panels of Van Gogh’s works located where he painted them. http://www.cloitresaintpaul-valetudo.com/Historique.htm
Stay at Hotel Soleil in St. Remy

Thursday
Hilltop Villages of the Luberon (Michelin local map # 332)
-Gordes (pop 2,125) 45 min. from St. Remy Park in pay lot below the town (steep walk up)touristy & trendy w/ boutiques
-Abbaye de Senanque- Photo op stop for lavender fields- may want to skip the tour which is in French. The D177 road passes along a high, rocky ridge,with a beautiful view down into the Senancole valley where the abbey sits and with a valley of lavender fields, harvested July-Aug. www.senanque.fr
-Roussillon (pop 1,190) 20 minutes from Gordes A definite stop, couple of hrs. Roussillon is built on red and yellow ochre cliffs and is home to many artists and galleries. Nice pottery shop at the top. The village center is small, so wandering the streets to discover the many lovely sites doesn't take long.
-Bonnieux(pop 1,436) 15 min from Roussillon, allow an hour to tour town. Enjoy a leisurely lunch at IL FOURNIL & make that the main meal for the day. Take a table near the fountain on Place Carnot and savor the Provence experience!
-Lacoste(pop 417) 10 minute from Bonnieux Marquis de Sade’s castle ruins. Climb throught the village and up to the castle base which offers a great view of Bonnieux. Not a lot of commerce here and the castle is closed to the public. Might be a drive by rather than a destination.
-Menerbes (pop 1,007) 10 minutes from La Coste made famous by author Peter Mayle. Quick walk through or drive through.
-Oppede le Vieux (pop 1,246)10 min from Menerbes
Parking, below the old village. The walk from the parking lot to the village is across lovely terraces, and all uphill 5 min. The hike from the village to the church, and on to the ruins, is about 10-15 minutes of steep uphill, with cobblestones through the trees, and past cave-rooms as you go through ruins of the ancient dwellings. Fantastic panoramic view of tiled rooftops at the level of the church and the chateau ruins.

Friday June 29
Arles (pop. 51,614) www.tourisme.ville-arles.fr
In the summer months, the TI offers 2 walking tours in English- historic Arles and Van Gogh in Arles
The Roman coliseum and theater in town are well preserved and used today. There is also a Roman necropolis just on the edge of town within walking distance from the center.
Arletan Museum in Arles

Saturday, June 30
Return car in Avignon
TGV to Paris in morning
Old Dec 26th, 2009, 07:23 PM

I can understand your wife wanting to see it all, & you wanting to please her. However, sometimes we want what is not always best for us - like too much chocolate - oh, maybe that is just me!

When we traveled with our young one(s), we always arranged the trip around their needs, understanding that calm children result in calm parents and calm parents result in calm children and.....

Maybe, do you think, it would be easier on all 3 of you if you selected 2 bases only. If someone(s) doesn't feel so well (a travel cold, jet lag, etc), it is best to be able to stay in the hotel & rest, not to be forced to get to the airport, train station, or endure car travel - ugh, with a cranky baby! (or mother, or father!)

I suggest that you select 2 cities only & day trip as everyone's stamina desires. How about Paris & London? An easy trip between the two; no rental car needed in either city; in June the temp would be cooler than in Italy (many travelers get cranky when the temp is too warm, especially when the AC doesn't work like it does in the US!). Both are lovely cities with so much to see & do. I'm sure you wife would love to see the Crown jewels, Windsor Castle, the gorgeous Kew Gardens, riding the big wheel!

What ever you decide, have a great time & build lots of good memories!

Julie

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -