Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

LAKE COMO DAY TRIP (Milan-Varenna-Bellagio-Como-Milan)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm planning a day trip to Lake Como from Milan and after doing some research, here is my route plan

Milan-Varenna (transit only, maybe stop by for taking pictures only)-Bellagio-Como-Milan

At first, I plan to go to FoxTown Outlet from Como to do some shopping. Unfortunately, time is limited as adviced from others.

Should I spent more time at Bellagio town or Como town? Would really appreciate if you can recommend some activities for both town. Or should I spend more time at Varenna too?

Also I would like to know a-must-try-food-list if possible

Thank you.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 01:53 AM

I've never been to either town, but no one else has responded, and I know that Bellaggio is much more beautiful than Como.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 04:23 AM

In Bellagio, apart from walking around the streets, you can walk along the lakeshore to view the Villa Melzi gardens.
For lunch in Bellagio, try Bilacus.
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 04:36 AM

We've stayed in both Como and Varenna and Varenna is much nicer. Varenna is a place to go when you want to do not too much. Bellagio is nice but very touristy.

You could train to Varenna then take the lake ferry to Bellagio and then to Como. From Como you could train to Milano. It would be a long day, but possible. The cruise time from Varenna to Bellagio takes about 15 minutes and from Bellagio to Como takes about 2 hours. Cruising the lake is beautiful and relaxing.

Buon viaggio,
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 01:52 PM

Looking at the train and ferry schedules, a round trip from Milano Centrale should be very doable.
Milan - Varenna: 8.20 - 9.23
Spend an hour or two in Varenna; late breakfast, maybe Villa Monastero if you like gardens.
Ferry transfer to Bellagio takes 15 mins and service is frequent.
Bellagio - Como: 17.04 - 17.54 by fast ferry.
An hour to wander around town.
Como - Milan: 19.13 - 19.50
Old Jan 9th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! Means I should pay Varena a visit. And I should spent more time at Bellagio compared to Como town, right?

Just wondering, it seems that Como Towni is not everyone's fav. Compared to Bellagio and Varenna
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 04:14 AM

Bellagio is much smaller than Como, so it won't take so much time to see the sights. We always liked sitting in a lakeside cafe under the pergola next to the pontillo (ferry dock) having an espresso and watching the world go by.

The old section of Como is being gentrified and is nice to walk around. Also, there is a funicular in Como up to Brunate, which provides a nice view of the lake area.

Buon viaggio,
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 12:15 PM

Varenna, Bellagio, Menaggio are scenic villages on the Lake where it is pleasant to sit in a garden or street restaurant (from mid April until September), but there is not much to visit (except nearby subtropical gardens). After having seen them, go by boat to Como. Boat traffic will start on April 13th.

Como, on the contrary is a real town with the usual stuff to visit (google!).

If you don't have much time, you may reach foxtown from Cernobbio or Como by taxi.
You may also take a Como citybus from Como to Chiasso and from there another bus (line 513, every hr) up to Fxtown. As an alternative, you an take a train from Como SG or Chiasso to Mendrisio and walk a bit.
Last train from Mendrisio back to Milan at 23.04
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 01:13 PM

If you are just doing the day, wander around both Varenna and Bellagio, and take in two villas, one in each village - Villa Monastero and Villa Melzi. If you have time, Villa Balbianello or Villa Carlotta are beautiful too. You could then take the train from Varenna back to Milan. No need to go to Como at all.

The mid-lake is much prettier than Como. What I mentioned above is a very full day and in fact you won't fit in all four villas unless you start early and really whizz around. The ferries slow things down for you (which is a good thing).
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 01:35 AM

Villa Carlotta - Milan is much faster via Como (aliscafo, boat or bus) than via Varenna, however.
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone! Really appreciate all your suggestions.
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 06:12 AM

If I understand your plan correctly, I think your itinerary sounds completely insane. It's totally unrealistic and will never happen. I'm sure a dedicated shopper could spend an entire exhausting day at FoxTown Outlet alone. If you try to add any part of Lake Como into that same day, you will not see or experience much.

Must-try dining establishments require time and patience. Italians have no patience for sprint eaters.

Varenna and Bellagio are both hill towns. If you don't allow time for climbing, you'll miss a worthy portion of the beauty. Villa Monastero, Villa Melzi, Villa Balbianello, and Villa Carlotta are all gorgeous places to visit, but each requires a lot of walking to fully explore. Getting from one place to another can easily eat up an hour or two. And then there are the bathroom breaks, eating and drinking breaks, and the temptation to just sit and soak up the glorious beauty.

If outlet mall shopping is the highest priority, plan for one good day at FoxTown. Four hours of shopping is exhausting, and to a dedicated shopper, four hours goes by very quickly when the pickings are good, and that time doesn't include getting to and fro.