Help me plan one day in Como

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be arriving in Milan by train from Rapallo June 29. From which city in this area is there a train directly to Milano Centrale? We have been in Milan before but it was for a quick overnight, so plan on sights we previously missed. Is it possible to do a one day trip to and from Como with a ferry ride to Bellagio? I got a good price on the Lancaster Hotel so will be returning that evening for early morning flight out of Malpensa. Any first hand information on this hotel or best way to get to Malpensa on a early Sunday morning?
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:32 AM

Using Trenitalia.com, I found that you will have to take a train from Rapllo to Genova (Genoa) (about 30 mins) and then from Genoa to Milano Centrale (about 1.5 hrs). Total trael time with connections about 2 and a quarter hours.

There are trains from two different sttions in Milano that go to the city of Como, where you could catch a boat or bus to Bellagio. Bus takes 30 mins-1hr, high-speed boat takes 30 mins or slow boat a few hours.

Or from Milano Centrale take a train to Varenna-Esino opposite Bellagio and then a quick ride across to Bellagio.
Old May 4th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Oh--the trains to Como and Varenna take 40 mins-1 hour.
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM

I would suggest that you take the train from Milan to Varenna rather than to Como. Como is quite a large town right at the bottom of Lake Como, quite a long way from Bellagio and the most attractive parts of the lake. Varenna is a small but very pretty village about 10 minutes by ferry from Bellagio.

I did something like this a few weeks ago, and was able to visit Bellagio and a couple of lakeside villas in one day, without feeling rushed.

Have a great trip!
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:53 AM

Another possibility is to train to Varenna by to return to Milan via Como. After seeing some central lake towns, you could take a boat to Como and enjoy more views along the way.
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:14 PM

The train from centrale to Varenna takes about 1 hour and 25 minutes, one way.