Reload this Page >

La Calcina room preferences

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Laura

Would love to know about anyone's room preference at La Calcina. We'd like to reserve 2 double room next May. Any suggestions?....best views, etc?<BR><BR>Laura

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 02:21 PM
Betsy

Ask for a room on a front corner, Laura. We were on the first (US second) floor, and the canal view was beautiful. Sorry, I can't remember the room number. <BR><BR>Awoke to a cruise ship plying the canal. Could almost shake hands with the passengers. Quite an experience. Good hotel choice. Wish I were there right now!

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Karen

Laura, Just got back 3 weeks ago. They have, I think four rooms that have both a full frontal and side view of the canal. I stayed in one of them #32. It was wonderful!!!!Love that place. E-mail if you want to know more. Karen

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Kathy

Just be certain to specify a canal side room. All appeared to be about the same to me. Our room was on the top floor which wounds great until you remember the hotel has no elevator. If steps are a problem for you, ask for the first or second floor canal side.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 02:06 PM
Laura

Thank you, all, for your help with this reservation. Can you tell me how far La Calcina is from St. Marco Square and how long to/fro?<BR><BR>Also, from the train station, how best to get to hotel?<BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 02:49 PM
Betsy

Gladly, Laura. The hotel is about a 10-minute walk to/from San Marco. If you're arriving in Venice by train, just walk out the front of the station. (Your first view of Venice will be breath-taking). You can take a vaporetto in either direction. Study a Venice map to determine if you want to get to the hotel quickly or take the scenic route. If you need more help with this, let me know and I'll see if I can find my map.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 02:54 PM
Paule

Both are very easy. From San Marco, the quickest way is to take either vaporetto #1 or #83 across the Grand Canal (1 stop) to the Accademia stop. It's a short walk from the stop to La Calcina. You are walking from the Grand Canal side to the Guidecca canal side. It's a very short distance, though, and the walk is no more than 5 minutes.<BR><BR>You can also walk from San Marco Square up to and across the Accademia Bridge; it's about a 20 minute stroll (without getting lost!).<BR><BR>To get to La Calcina from the train station (ferrovia), take the #52 vaporetto in the direction of the Lido; get off at the Zattere stop. You will pass Piazzale Roma on the way. It's going in the opposite direction from the Grand Canal. The trip takes no more than 15 minutes, and you will be just a short walk to the hotel from there. And make sure to stop at Nico's for gelato!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 02:56 PM
Anne

I don't think I would want to throw back my curtains on the canal and look face to face with a cruise ship passenger! Egads!!

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 03:49 PM
Laura

So if I'm understanding this correctly, San Marco square is about a 20-minute walk w/o taking vaporetto and 5- to 10-minute walk w/vaporetto? <BR><BR>I'm going with shopoholics, and they've just GOT to be near the shopping, but I want a charming home base. If I can have it all, we'll all be very happy clams!<BR><BR>

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 05:07 PM
Paule

Laura, <BR>Yes, you've understood my timing correctly; everything is more or less, since I never did clock my time! My point is that the walk from the Accademia stop to La Calcina is a very short one. <BR><BR>I loved La Calcina; it's just enough out of the mainstream tourist areas to feel less-crowded, and close enough that you don't feel like it's a stretch to get anywhere. <BR>And it's a small but classy place. <BR><BR>I faced the Guidecca Canal, too, but was next to the corner room, and loved it, too.

Old Aug 1st, 2002, 02:16 PM
++++

-<BR>Up for Todd.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 01:13 PM
Pat

Laura,<BR>Just an FYI, LaCalcina is, of course, highly recommended...I just tried to get a water-front room next May 17,18,19 and none are available. We are settling for a non-view room, in hopes of something opening up. This is our first trip, so somewhat disappointed but everything I hear is great about them, and the price is right.<BR>Pat

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 02:15 PM
kristen

Just tried to reserve a corner front room for October 2003 and it wasn't available. Very happily settling for a fron canal room and going crazy having to wait over a year for it!

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 03:42 PM
another fan

It IS a great hotel!! Stayed there twice. Once in a single, side, non-view room w/ private bath. Once in a corner double facing the canal. Both were charming. The cruise ship going by thing was funny, by proportions, nothing bad (per Anne's comments).<BR><BR>The vaporetto from the train station to the stop at Zatterre is really easy to do. And I'd say 10-15 mins. walk into San Marcos (depends on how fast you walk!).