Reload this Page >

Loire Valley Chateau

Search

Loire Valley Chateau

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Dianne

Loire Valley Chateau

Which chateaus are a must? We have two children age 11& 8 and don't want to od on chateaus. We were recommended Chambord, Chaumont, Amboise and Chenonceau.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 04:50 AM
lisa

Dianne -- I just returned from 2 days in the Loire Valley. The only chateau we visited of the ones you mentioned was Chambord. It was wonderful. They have an English language tour (free -- but we tipped the tour guide) that started around 10:15 or so.<BR><BR>We really wish we'd had time for the chateau in Amboise since it looked great.<BR><BR>My only suggestion would be that you investigate which ones have more furniture/paintings. The Chambord chateau is interesting and the guide explains a lot about its architecture, how it fits into history, etc, but because it was built at a time of nomadic monarchs, there is very little furnishings inside. Might have been nice to compare/contrast with a later-era chateau that has more "stuff" in it.<BR><BR>P.S. The Chambord chateau has a "circus" show (like Cirque du Soleil) that performs in the evening in and around the chateau. Your kids might really like that. A lot of the chateaux also have sound and light shows in the evening (like laser light shows). Might also be fun.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 05:54 AM
amy

Dianne: You are one smart mother: even to adults, these castles blend together. We were there when my kids were 13 and 9; we saw Blois, Amboise, Chambord, Chaumont, Chenonceau, Azay le Rideau, and Cheverny. I think there's one more we saw, but I can't think of it right now (see, you were right--we OD'ed).<BR><BR>In tune with Lisa's advice, the best chateau that still "lives" is Cheverny. The house is full of furniture, and is sort of neat in that the front has an impressive facade and the back is plain. There are beautiful grounds there, there are hunting dogs that are fed (it's a big deal!), there's a huge stable filled to the brim with stag antlers, other stables, etc. There are also, if I remember, several shops on the grounds that had above-average goods for sale. <BR><BR>We remember Chenonceau, as impressive as it was and even with a wonderful tour guide, as being uncomfortably packed wall-to-wall with people. The kids loved Chambord, though--it is so huge that no matter how many people are there, there's room. They loved exploring the rooftop.<BR><BR>Lisa's point about nomadic kings was really well taken. Royalty constantly travelled and had no furniture other than beds, huge chests and tapestries that went with them, so most of these chateaux seem rather bare. <BR><BR>So in keeping with your own perceptive planning, perhaps you'd want to present a few chateax from specific historical point of view. Since Amboise and Chambord are both the "babies" of Francois I, you could take the kids to see Amboise castle, then take them to see the Leonardo da Vinci museum in the same town to demonstrate how Leonardo and Francois I essentially brought the Italian Renaissance to France. Then take them over to Chambord to see Francois I's deluxe accomodations.<BR><BR>You can then fit in a relaxing and fun tour of Cheverny, which I'm quite confident the kids will like.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Debbie

I am trying to remember all of the additional chateaux that we visited in the Loire besides the ones already listed. One note to add on Cheverny, I believe it was, they also offered balloon rides on site and beautiful grounds. However, one chateau that truly "lives" stands out in my mind cleary; your chidren will love Chateau de Valencay. Don't miss this one. It wasn't originally on our touring list but was suggested to us by our bed and breakfast. You truly feel like you are stepping back in time. Royal peacocks roam the beautiful grounds, the furniture all remains and an animal park is included. The animals are exemplary of those the royals once owned and include deer, highland cattle, etc. But the best part of Valencay is the reinactments held all across the grounds during the summer days. Very interesting and amusing as they are portrayed by French actors in powdered wigs, makeup, and authentic costumes. The kitchen scene included servants amusingly preparing a meal for the king and ended with a free wine tasting for all the onlookers. Here is their website I pulled from my files. Your children will love it! Enjoy the Loire, it is beautiful and rich in history!<BR><BR>www.chateau-valencay.com/valencay/home_en.htm<BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:01 AM
Wayne

There are so many, and they have different features that appeal to different people. Considering the kids, I'd certainy recommend Chambord above all. But for a couple more that I really like and that aren't overly touristed (though all of them draw tourists) I'd suggest Gien and Sully.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Julie

Consider Villandry, not for the interior of the chateau (I've never been inside) but for the incredible gardens, especially the "kitchen" garden with beautiful displays of growing vegetables. A different experience from the rest.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 09:55 AM
lisa

Hey! Where were all you guys with the great chateaux advice when we were planning our trip?!?

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 10:51 AM
Bill Fleites

Great advice here, I also spent a week in the Loire Valley and must agree with most of the posters but. I think Amy it totally correct that your kids will really enjoy Cheverny because of the hounds and the fact that it still looks and feels like it's lived in. Also Chenonceau will amaze the kids since it's build right across the river, not to mention that it's arguably the most beautiful chateau in the valley. Those two are probably the musts. Chambord will impress the kids just due to it's sheer size, however inside it is empty, and will probably not be too interesting to kids.<BR><BR>Thanks to Debbie for the information on the Chateau de Valencay. I don't know how I missed it, but it looks fantastic and will make sure to see it the next time I'm in the Loire Valley.<BR>

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:40 AM
osk

In my opinion, Chaumont is the most interesting of the major chateaux. It is a huge imposing castle with round towers and a working drawbridge -- pull the chain, it won't go all the way up but it's clear that it's counterweighted for quick, no-effort closing. Its view of the Loire valley far below is unbeatable, and the trees and grounds are a wonderful park. The inside is typical, with lots of period furniture, but the best feature is the windows -- tons of stained and leaded glass. <BR>Check it out. And to think someone traded it for Chenonceau.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:43 AM
osk

Oh -- almost forgot. One chateau highlight for children is Usse, which is purportedly where the legend of sleeping beauty arose. There are several scenes from the story set up, including mannequin figures, in one of the towers. The guided tour here was interminable, so I don't recommend that for the kids.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 08:53 AM
Beth

I also recommend Usse because it is not empty; even as an adult I found the others overwhelmingly crowded, hot and frankly boring except for the beauty of the outside architecture. The gardens at Villandry are fantastic, and there is a maze the kids might enjoy. I believe it is Chambord that you can access the roof; they might enjoy that. Not chateaux, but try to do one of the caves - some are restaurants, etc., the one we visited was a mushroom "factory". These are the remnants of quarrying the limestone for surrounding homes. We stumbled into a local Renaissance festival with live action and horses which was great fun; didn't understand a word of the dialogue but laughed at the antics. I believe this was across from Usse castle and it was early August, 2001.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:15 AM
Mr. Go

Dianne, you're on the right track about not ODing on chateaux. The four you listed are excellent. I would add Azay-le-Rideau and Saumur, and the gardens at Villandry. I thought the apocalypse tapestries at Angers were worth a trip, but kids might not. And FWIW, I found Usse to be kitschy and touristy.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:53 AM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>I wouldn't overdo it.<BR><BR>The recommendations sound fine.<BR><BR>Many of them lost the contents during the revolution, so are lacking in period furnishings etc.<BR><BR>At 8 and 11, I don't think they are that interesting !<BR><BR>I have no choice ................ my mother in law lives in the Loire valley and insists on showing me chateaux on every visit.<BR><BR>For about 20 yrs now !<BR><BR>Peter<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 03:55 PM
Ron

I'm with Debbie with respect to Vlaencay. It is a little off the tourist circuit and has far less crowds, and a much more authentic feel, than a lot of the others.