Venice: La Calcina or Hotel American?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both have great reviews, are in the area we want to stay, and are in our price range...which makes it hard to choose. Will be going on my honeymoon next June and really want the perfect place...please help! Would love any feedback on both, Thanks!

Old Aug 26th, 2004, 12:44 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Only know Pensione La Calcina but have stayed there twice and loved it! Request a canal view corner room. Very elegant without being fussy. Well run place. Very nice breakfast included in room rate that you can have in-room, on the patio over the canal, or in a small dining room. Room service also available, like for cocktails. There's a tiny rooftop terrace that you can reserve at the front desk.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Suze...do you happen to remember the room #?
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 02:16 PM

I loved La Calcina, too. We didn't stay in the corner room, but did stay in a room facing the (Guidecca) canal. I really loved this hotel. It is small yet classy, and enough out of the crowd to be relaxed. I loved having breakfast on the deck in front of the hotel.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 03:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Sorry, no, but it is a fairly small hotel so only a few rooms would fit the description of a canal view with preference for a corner in the main building.

The other time I was traveling solo and had a small single room with no view facing a tiny side canal, and that was lovely as well.

Be sure to mention your honeymoon when booking! That should help get the nicest of the nice.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 04:17 PM
RJD

La Calcina has become so popular, in part because of this site, that you will find it hard to get a room and harder to get a canal view unless you're planning well in advance. Last time I stayed there I couldn't get a room facing the canal even with three months' notice.
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

I think we are going to go with La Calcina....we will not be going until June 19th 2005, so hopefully it is enough time to get a great room. I just emailed them today so now I just have to wait to hear back...I will keep my fingers crossed. Thanks everyone!
Old Aug 26th, 2004, 06:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Don't despair -- they are both great hotels. We've stayed in the Hotel American twice, once in 1990 and again last summer. Really love it and free internet. No elevator though. We saw the Pensione La Calcina (a short walk from American, further away from the Accademia bridge), and it looks great from the outside as well. They also have a restaurant outside on the canal.