Search

Venice: Pensione Accademia

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2005, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice: Pensione Accademia

Hi

Just got offered a standard double at 130 per night in March. Based on all the glowing reviews, I might take it, but I don't know anything about the rooms at this hotel.

How different are the standard from the superior rooms? What do they look out on? What is the size?

We are staying 3 nights, want some comfort, and really want a hotel on a canal for an early morning taxi to the airport. P.Accademia seems to fit all those requirements, so I just need a little more info from folks that have stayed there.

Oh, and how is breakfast, most importantly, is the coffee good and is there plenty of it?

Ok, thanks, Debbie
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 04:37 AM

I stayed at P.A. in March,and loved it.I went with my sister and we had a room with two separate sleeping areas,which was great. It was a little like a suite without a living room.One of the bedrooms looked out onto the little side canal and the private dock(which we used for our early-morning departure.)We thought the breakfast was great,there was a buffet with a lot of choice, and of course you could have gallons of caffe,cappuccini.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 04:38 AM

I forgot to mention,we had a wonderful,HUGE bathroom with the best tub in the world,beautiful tile throughout. I could have lived in that bathroom!
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 05:35 AM

I've always been amazed with the wonderful descriptions of the rooms. We were there in '99, and I think we were given a large double in the Annex. It overlooked the side canal that the entrance is on. The room was large, but somewhat dreary and the bathroom had a pervasive smell in it. I don't think it was related to the Canal, but it definitely was systemic. We were there in July and it was somewhat grey and rainy, so that might've influenced my feelings. We had stayed the year before at La Calcina, which I loved, and though the room at the Accademia was larger, I didn't find it nearly as pleasant. I also found the staff a little on the surly side at the Accademia while the La Calcina staff couldn't do enough for us. You can see I have mixed feelings about the Accademia!

In its favor, the main part of the hotel seemed cheerier, with lighter, airier rooms. The grounds and garden are lovely, and the breakfast is excellent. You can fill up on it for the day if you want. If the weather is good, you can sit in the garden for breakfast.

Paule
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 05:51 AM

We were just there this past August. Our room was a "superior triple" (which was a double with a cot),It was a large room with a beautiful view over the small side canal. We had an internet special price 140E per night. Just lovely.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 06:43 AM

130e sounds like quite a bargain. It is listed as the low season price for a double on their website. We stayed in a superior double in '02 over New Years and paid 225e which I guess is the high season price. A superior double at the time you're going would be 170e.

There are 2 buildings; the main building which has some canal view rooms and the annex which I believe faces the garden. I can't help in terms of the size of the standard room. Our superior wasn't huge, just big enough for the furniture. The bathroom was a very good size and nicely tiled. The room wasn't dreary but I did wish it had had more window. There was only one. We faced the side canal with a further view to the Grand Canal.

We also used a water taxi at their dock for an early morning departure. The breakfast was great including cooked eggs that I gather is not usual at other hotels. The coffee was good as I recall, and yes there was plenty.

Debbie, I'm one of the few Fodorites I think that didn't <i>love</i> P. Accademia. I liked it. My husband thought it was terrific though. I don't know about price comparison but I would check La Calcina.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 07:12 AM

I just dithered myself about a room at the Accademia, finally decided, for the same price, to take a room at Locanda Orseolo, which is rated #1 at tripadvisor.com for Venice hotels. Either there or here, I've never read a bad thing about it.
No elevator.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 07:13 AM

see also this thread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34680448
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 07:58 AM

We stayed the a few years ago. I can't help you with the rooms because we had the garden apt for five which was great. The breakfast was wonderful and I personally love the location. A water taxi can pick you up right in front of the hotel.

I've never had a bad cup of coffee in Italy!
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 11:07 AM

Pensione Accademia is where Katherine Hepburn filmed &quot;Springtime&quot;. I think I'd go there just for that.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Oh lordy, decisions, decisions. I got three more emails, and I can have a superior room at P.Accademia for 155; a superior at La Calcina for 159, and our fabulous honeymoon room with a balcony at Hotel Ala for 150.

I think I'm going with the Ala. We thought our room for our honeymoon was over the moon fabulous, and the rate is super fantastic. I think it is because it is early in March and we are staying for three nights.

I am thrilled, really, even though I would have tried some place new.
Old Sep 24th, 2005, 02:34 PM

The Hepburn movie was &quot;Summertime.&quot;

Some exteriors were filmed at the Accademia, but not the interiors