Search

La Calcina - room +/- view?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
La Calcina - room +/- view?

Fellow Fodorites -
I am writing to get input from anyone who's stayed at La Calcina before. I will be staying there with my wife in Dec 2005. In your opinion, which room is better? a small doule room w/o view (e.g. room 5, 25, or 35) or a slightly larger double room w/partial view (e.g. 38 or 28)? Thoughts?
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 08:16 AM

You could request a CORNER double on the 2nd or 3rd floor. They have both frontal & side Giudecca Canal views. 4 years ago I stayed at such on the 2nd floor and both the room and the bath room were rather spaceous. Sorry I don't remember the room no.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 09:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's a lovely hotel. I think either would be fine. I've stayed in a single with no view, and one of the front corner doubles with canal view. They were both nice.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 09:35 AM

If you can get the view go for it. When we were there, all the view rooms were booked months and months ahead of time. We would have happily paid for the view, too.

But it is a nice hotel in a good area. Enjoy.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 09:44 AM

Logic might suggest that a partial view is better than no view but, for me, not if "partial view" means a much, much smaller room.

Frankly, my days of no or partial view are over, no matter how charming the public space may be. When it comes to my enjoyment of life abroad, a large room with a view is a must. Good luck!
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your feedback so far. From what the hotel tells me, a small double room (e.g. room 5, 25, or 35) is only 11 squared metres. The rate difference between a small double and larger double with partial view (e.g. room 28 or 38) is 15 EURO/day...I'm trying to see if the 15 EURO/day for larger room + partial view is worth it.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:16 AM

I'd say it's worth it for 15 Euro a day unless you're already at the top end of your budget and would rather spend the $ on something else.

The room we had was a small, interior-facing double. Another friend was with us, and she had a small single with no private bathroom (again, all they had available). But as it happened her cute little single had an incredible view--it opened the room right up. Very cheerful. Our room, while comfortable, wasn't exactly cheerful.

FWIW, another hotel I've always tried to book in Venice is the Locanda San Barnaba. I actually prefer that location to La Calcina. It's also reasonably priced and gets great reviews on tripadvisor. But they have been full every time I've written.

Best of luck!
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:21 AM

If you stay at La Calcina be sure to reserve the rooftop deck for a few hours. It's really nice and seems many guest are not aware of it.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendation, Suze! I wasn't aware that you could do that either. I'll be sure to book a few hours to check it out. Any recommendations on time of day that's best to reserve the roof top (e.g. sunset or early morning breakfast)?

Based on comments from kappa, Leely, and NYCTravel, sounds like the 15 Euro/day might not be a bad idea.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:37 AM

No recommendation as to time of day, but there's a great rooftop view from up there. We did it one broiling hot afternoon, worked on our tans, played cards, drank some beer if I remember correctly. You had to ask at the front desk ahead of time and they set it up with lounge chair cushions, etc. This was several years ago so hopefully is still available.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Sunset if the weather is fine though it may be freezing in December.
Old Sep 19th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Oh my goodness, I somehow missed we were debating the value of a mere 15 Euros. Life is much too short and a trip to Venice and La Calcina much too precious to be debating the worthiness of a 15 Euro expenditure. <b>Of course it's worth it and so are you!</b>

La Calcina is one of the MOST honest hotels in all of Venice. If they think the room is worth an additional 15 Euros than you simply must trust them. End of query.