Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

hotels on canals with singing gondoliers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My requirement is pretty silly, I guess, but it really added to the romantic ambience on our last trip. Last time I was in Venice in '98, I stayed at Riva, a 1 star hotel, which I found to be okay. It was clean, simple and not very charming, but it was pretty cheap and we loved hearing the singing gondoliers going by our window at night. I'm trying to pick a hotel for our upcoming trip in April. We're bumping it up to 2 or 3 stars this time and I've heard good things about Ala, Barbarigo, Al Gambero, and Casa Verardo. I know the first 3 have the "free" music, but I don't know about Casa Verardo. I'd appreciate any positive or negative feedback on these hotels and any additional recommendations would be appreciated. Ala quoted me 250euro for canal view double, Barbarigo 185 for a canal side suite, Gambero 190 (but with no canal view guarantee), and Verardo 250 for a suite on the canal. Thanks!!
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:09 AM
ira

topping for hwinokur
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 04:42 AM

We had a canal side room at the Locanda Barbarigo last year and loved it. There are two canal side rooms, one is huge the other average. Our party had both of them and were very happy. The smaller room has the better view, up the canal, the larger room you are right over the canal.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:44 AM

If you haven't already, give consideration to Locanda Orseolo (www.locandaorseolo.com) very close to Piazza San Marco. Also see reviews on tripadvisor.com. It is small - only 15 rooms, with 9 on the canal side - and has justifiably become very popular, so may not be available in April.

There is a gondola park at the end of the Orseolo canal so there are many gondolas passing by, and their breakfast room has a large glass window onto the canal.

The rooms are large and sparkling clean, and the service is outstanding. If you can get a canal view room here, grab it. You won't be sorry.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 05:57 AM

We stayed at the Ala three years ago. We had a room over the side canal, and singing gondoliers were going by all the time--you're right, it added immeasurably to the charm. (It wasn't one of the more expensive rooms, either--I believe they also have rooms with a view of the Grand Canal; I don't know if you actually hear the gondoliers in those rooms. You might check with the hotel and perhaps save money with a side canal room.) The Ala is wonderfully located, with its own landing--very helpful if you're arriving with luggage via water taxi.
Old Feb 18th, 2004, 08:33 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the helpful feedback! I had been leaning towards the Ala, based on the many rave reviews, but at the Barbarigo we'd save 65 euro a night and I was trying to determine if the Ala was worth the difference (for great breakfast, outside terrace...). I've heard mostly positives on Barbarigo, but also read a couple negatives. Thank you for the Orseolo tip. I looked it up and... wow! It sounds awesome and I wrote to them, but I fear they'll be sold out. BTW, what's the "topping for..." message mean?
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:42 AM

I'm disappointed for you (but not surprised) that Locanda Orseolo is booked. Did you by chance ask if they would contact you if there is a cancellation?

Topping is posting a reply to a thread as a way of bringing the post back to the "top" of the list. It is often done as a courtesy for someone whose post has "sunk" overnight with no responses or for someone looking for similar information on a newer thread. You may also see the letters "ttt" (to the top).

Also, You can see all threads you have posted or replied to by clicking on your screen name.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 06:58 AM

We stayed at ALA 2 years ago. We had
a room overlooking the side canal. I don't believe that they have rooms overlooking the Grand Canal as the hotel is about 100 yards away from the Grand Canal. Locanda Barbaregio is right across the side canal from ALA. We were faced with the similar decision and could have saved a lot of money if we went with Locanda. However, we decided to go with ALA partly because we have heard that AC at Locanda is not very good. It turned out that we did not have to use AC at all. The breakfast at ALA is just OK, nothing special. Probably it makes sense to go with Locanda if you want to save yourself some money.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the explanation. I'm still waiting to hear back from Orseolo. They sent a "thank you for your request. Our reservation dept will contact you." I'm still waiting to hear. If they're booked I'll ask to be put on the cancellation list. It doesn't help that I'll be in Venice over a weekend - are the prices higher on weekends? If Orseolo doesn't pan out, I think I'll go with Barbarigo bc of the price and also bc it's locally owned as opposed to the Best Western owned Ala.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 11:24 AM

I don't think the room rates change on the weekends, but on weekends you are also competing with weekend visitors in addition to vacationers. The Ala is most probably also locally owned. If I understand correctly, the Best Western affiliation is for marketing purposes. Others here may be able to confirm that.

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 01:27 PM

Not sure if this is too late to help you, but we stayed at Gambero in early January. We paid 110 Euro for a canalside room. Not being on the first floor, you obviously had to look out and down from the window, but it was nice nonetheless. Definitely charming spot, with plenty of singing goldoliers and even some accordions floating by.

We enjoyed the room. The continental breakfast there was the best on our trip. There is free internet in the lounge. Only issue to us was no elevator (and this was not a major issue).