Search

Kutna Hora

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kutna Hora

After reading various posts on Fodors we think we'd like to go to Kutna Hora to see the "bones" church, St. Barbara's etc. and to eat lunch. I have studied the directions on previous posts and have the train figured out from Prague to the stop near the bones church. On raileurope.com it appears that the train tickets are about $32. Was wondering if there are good bus connections to get there from Prague and if that might be cheaper. Think it's a pretty good hike from there to see St. Barbara's, but I suppose it shouldn't be too difficult to catch a city bus there. Any help will be appreciated.
Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 11:01 PM

If you are geting the train from Prague then a return ticket (zpáteční jízdenka) should be no more that 120czk which is less than $5 .Train journey is about an hour.
If you don't travel alone you can buy group ticket (skupinová jízdenka) or even group return ticket (skupinová zpáteční jízdenka) (the more people the better price) .no need to prebook tickets just buy them from the train station on the day.The tickets sellers at Hlavni the main train station understand English. I think I have posted walking instructions from the station at Kutna Hora to the Bone church but if you need them just ask and I will re post them.

if you go to My Profile on Trip Advisor you will see some pics of the Bone Church and of Kutna Hora,some were taken in the winter over 2 years ago and some in May just over a year ago.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/MemberP...&c=pm&public=1
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Thank you unclegus. We will take the train. I have your walking directions to the bones church from the train station and with your directions printed it from google maps. A little unclear on where to walk back to in order to catch a city bus to get to St. Barbara's and the town center. It is quite a distance isn't it? Is there a web site that I can use to see what train tickets actually will cost. Obviously the raileurope site quotes a little higher than they actually are.
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 11:11 PM

I think you just walk back to the main road to get the bus into the Town cetre,I have never done this as I always walk,it will take about 20 minutes to walk from the Bone Church to the town and then a further 10 minutes up the Hill to the top of the town where St Barbaras is.The whole town is built on quite a steep hill so please be prepared for this.
Have a look at the Italian Court Building it is very nice and you can do a tour of part of it,there is also a small Torture museum there but it is pretty poor but worth a stop if you have 20 minutes to spare.
At the road junction up to the Bone church is another Church (I think I mention it in my instructions) called Assumption of the Virgin Mary Church ,it has recently been reopened after a massive refurbishment,I have never been in it but it might be an interesting visit.
One thing to mention about the Bone church is that it sometimes closes for lunch though not all the time,so try and get your visit in before 12.00 noon or after 1.00pm
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 11:13 PM

http://jizdnirady.idnes.cz/vlakyautobusy/spojeni/
this is the website for train times and prices
Old Jun 24th, 2009, 11:38 PM

We rented a car for the day and saw a castle that must be on the same road somewhere.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

Again thank you unclegus. So glad to have the train website. I've looked up the info from the Prague station we will be closet too and found a direct connection leaving at 7:56 a.m. I think we can walk to the top of the town being only 20 minutes, I thought it was much further than that. The hilly town will be good exercise, correct? By the time we do all of this it will certainly be time for a good lunch around the town center. I think in your report you had a recommendation, but it may have been near the bones church. Surely it will be downhill all the way walking back the the train station to get back to Prague. haha
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 04:50 AM

When I went to Kutna Hora, I thought the walk from the train Station to the Bone Church was quite easy, but the walk into town from there felt really long and tiring; it's certainly well over a mile. We were exhausted by the time we got into town, though we immediately stopped for lunch, which helped.

If I were going to do it over again, I'd probably take the bus directly to town from the train station, see what I wanted to see there, and then take a taxi from St. Barbara's back to the train station and ask them to stop at the Bone Church so we could take a look. I think we spent less than half an hour there. The crypt is actually not that big.
Old Jun 25th, 2009, 06:06 AM

We had lunch in the Dacicky Pivince just set back from the street Rejskova,It is up towards the cathedral and just round the corner from the big stone water tank (now an art gallery).
Food in there is very good and very cheap,they make their own beer.A place I can highly reccommend.
I must admit I am used to doing a fair bit of walking and usually go on walking holidays so a trek of a mile or two is a little warm up for me,it also means I enjoy that first beer much much more.It is about 20 minutes of my walking pace to the bottom of the town and at least another 10 up to the cathedral at the top of the Hill,and yes it is good exercise,it will help burn off all these heavy meals you will be indulging in in the Czech Republic.
This is a trip Report made some 3 and a bit years ago when I travelled to Prague to celebrate my 50th birthday,it does mention my trip to Kutna Hora and many of my drinking holes.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListD...to_Prague.html
As Doug-Stallings says the Bone Church is not that big and I would agree 30 minutes is about the max you would spend there.......... well worth it though.His idea of a quick stop off is a good one if you want to save a bit of walking time.
Old Jun 28th, 2009, 11:43 AM

There is a private bus run by the people at the bone church and the bus driver was willing to take us anywhere we wanted in Kutna Hora and the price was cheaper than a taxi. That is a good choice, particularly if the weather is bad. It is not the most interesting walk from the bone church into town. Though you do pass the largest cigarette factory in Europe...
http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/prague_photos.html