Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Kusadasi/Ephesus or Fethiye/Gulet for early May Turkey trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
I am planning a trip to Turkey, Slovenia and Croatia for May 2007. We're planning to fly into Turkey and home from Croatia, spending approximately 9 nights in Turkey, 3 in Slovenia, and 9 in Croatia. I'm having a bit of trouble sorting out the Turkey portion of our trip and could use some opinions. we arrive April 29th in Istanbul and must fly out of Turkey on May 8th.

So, with that in mind, these are the two options for our Turkey itinerary:

3 nights Istanbul
2 nights Cappadocia
1 night Kas
2 nights Gulet from Kas - Fethiye
1 night Fethiye

OR

3 nights Istanbul
2 nights Cappadocia
2 nights Bodrum
2 nights Kusadasi

My husband and I are really stuck on which of these to do. Things I have been considering when trying to make a decision are:
1. The Gulet/Blue Cruise idea (Option 1) has come very highly recommended from friends of ours who have been to Turkey but we will be there in very early May so will it even be warm enough to swim?
2. Ephesus (Option 2) sounds wonderful too but we are not serious ruins people (for example, a couple hours in Pompeii with an audio guide was enough, although maybe having a real guide would have made it more interesting).

Any suggestions? Which one would you choose?

Old Aug 16th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

anybody?
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 02:51 PM

It's funny I read this now, as I am leaving tomorrow morning for a similar trip. I'll try to remember to let you know how it was. Hope I remember!
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 04:32 PM

I can't help with the decision with your 2 itineraries, but what does concern me is the time it takes to travel to and from Cappadocia.

I LOVE that region, but spending only 2 nights there seems like an awful lot of travelling for a short visit. Getting there is not too bad because you fly there from Istanbul, although you're still an hour or more from where most of the sights are. You'll have one full day to explore before you move on to the coast.

How are you planning to go to Kas? it's a long day's trip to get there.

You might want to consider just a day trip from that area, rather than staying on the gulet. Do you know if the cruise that your friend took does 2 night trips?

Do you fly out of Turkey on May 8 from Istanbul or Izmir?

Personally, I think a combination of a cruise of some kind and the region around Kas (or Kalkan) is well worth the time. If you're not a big fan of ruins, then Ephesus probably won't be as important than taking the cruise. I don't know about swimming in early May, though I do think the water vistas would be beautiful then.

Paule
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 06:46 PM

Hi Amanda,
2 days cruise Kas to Fethiye is not a good option and especially that time of the year.
Your itinerary looks to hectic in the sense of using time and activities. I am afraid you would regret coming Turkey if you did not like the itinerary at the end

Arrive Istanbul, stay 2 night, fly Cappadocia stay 3 nights, fly to Izmir to visit Ephesus, overnight, drive Bodrum while visiting some good sites on the way. You can still take a day cruise in Bodrum and relax by the colour of blue. Return istanbul from Bodrum according to your flight to Croatia.

Ofcourse you can skip Bodrum bit and add to Cappadocia and equally to Istanbul...

Good Luck, Happy Travelling

Murat
Old Aug 16th, 2006, 10:22 PM

Amanda23,

If I were you I would go with the second one and change like this:

3 nights Istanbul
2 Nights Cappadocia
2 Nights Bodrum
1 Night Selcuk or Kusadasi If you rent a car I DEFINITLY go to SIRINCE

Leave GULET TOUR next trip to Turkey. Because 2 days gulet tour is NOT convenient.

Have a ncie trip in Turkey

Sinan Akdeniz
Old Aug 17th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your replies so far. Murat and Sinan, I was really hoping you'd both post a response considering you're the Turkey experts! I think we will go with the Bodrum/Ephesus option then, and skip the gulet considering our limited time and the time of year. Thanks for all your help!
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 01:47 PM

I am happy to hear you made your mind up. Thats a good start... I am sure you will equally enjoy your vacation with or without gulet cruise. Why not leave gulet for your next visit after the 1st one....

Should there be any questions we are here....
Greatings from very Hot Cappadocia,
Murat