Help with Itinerary for one week in Turkey

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2008, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan to be in Turkey for a week in September prior to a cruise. I would like to see and do as much as I can, without overdoing it. I am very interested in Cappadocia and trying to decide how much time to spend there. There are flying tours from Istanbul to Kayseri for a 3-night 4-day tour in Cappadocia. If I only have a week in Turkey, not counting the cruise stop in Kusadasi / Ephesus, should I limit my time in Cappadocia to two days / 1 night and focus on Istanbul? Are there other places in Turkey that warrant one or two days outside of Istanbul?
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:08 AM

Ultimately only you can decide, but I have to say as much as I loved Istanbul, Cappadocia is somewhere I dream of returning to. If by a week you mean 7 days, then 3-4 in Istanbul and 3-4 in Cappadocia is perfect. The flight is easy (less than an hour) and you don't have to be in the airport for hours. I don't think you really need a tour, you can book your flights into and out of Kayseri and/or Nevsehir (both served by a few airlines); base yourself in Goreme (or wherever you prefer); and see a lot on your own--combined with day tours offerred by local agencies and hotels. 3 days is a good minimum for the region, but 4 would be better!
As for Istanbul, you won't get as much of a feel for the city, but the main sights are easily seen in that amount of time. I hope you enjoy both places as much as I did.
If you decide to stick close to Istanbul, so a search, as there was a thread not so long ago about the surrounding region.
Old May 21st, 2008, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, yorkshire! I hope to arrive in Istanbul on Sept. 7 in the morning and board my cruise boat late on September 14. As part of the package that I already have, there are 2 days of sightseeing in Istanbul on the 13th and 14th. The rest is mine.

I am researching now to determine the difficulty in dong Cappadocia on my own vs. a tour. I often do my own thing, but don't want to waste time there trying to figure things out. But I am really excited about going to Turkey and Cappadocia looks incredible. The more I read, the more I want to go and glad I am planning to do that.

If I arrive in Istanbul on the morning of September 7, I could depart for Kayseri (or Nevsehir?) that afternoon and spend 4 days / nights in Cappadocia. That would mean returning to Istanbul on the evening of the 11th, having the 12th, 13th and much of the 14th for Istanbul before boarding the cruise ship.

How does that sound?

I plan to do the balloon ride in Cappadocia and see the Whirling Dervishes there as well. Are there any specific local tour companies you recommend once I get to the Cappadocia area?

And I intend to all the usual sights in Istanbul when I return. Nothing is planned for the 12th but my tour group has plans to take us to: the Blue Mosque, Hippodrome Square (Sultan Ahmet Square), St. Sophia, Topkapi Palace and the Grand Bazaar over the two mornings of the 13th and 14th.

Any suggestions for the 12th (I will have all day)? Is a cruise on the Bosphorus worth it? I considered a day trip (flying) to see Pamukkale but then decided it probably wasn't worth that effort and expense, but not sure. I should see Ephesus on the cruise.

Any other thoughts or suggestions welcome and appreciated.
Old May 21st, 2008, 02:53 PM

Hi

The Bosphorous is a magnificent waterway. A leisurely cruise is definitely worth it and gives you another perspective of the fantastic city. And Cappadocia is incredible!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:30 AM

My husband and I just returned from Turkey, and I agree that you should take a Bosphorus cruise -- definitely worth it. In Istanbul, you should also visit the underground cistern. Re Pamukkale, it is truly a natural wonder but I found the whole scene there kind of a zoo. Personally, I wouldn't recommend it if you have such limited time. Definitely go for the balloon ride in Cappadocia!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 06:54 AM

If your cruise includes tours in Istanbul also then you definitely have a good plan! On your free days you can just explore. I did not do the Bosphorus ferry because I had horrible weather most of my trip and preferred to explore Beygolu on my own "free day." But by all accounts it is a wonderful thing to do. Going over to the Asian side is also recommended. Make sure you go to the Spice/Egyptian Bazaar as well (I preferred it to the Grand Bazaar). Also plan to visit some of the smaller mosques to get a different experience from the biggies like Sultanahmet.

The Turkey Travel Planner website is invaluable--check there for the list of airlines, then check each of their websites to get the best itinerary in and out of Cappadocia. Kayseri is about an hour away, Nevsehir about 45 minutes. Either one is convenient, but times and prices can differ. The only problem leaving the day you arrive in IST is to give yourself a good window in case your arrival flight is delayed, but then that may waste some time.

If you are in Goreme, then much is accessible by walking and tours are easily booked. Just read in advance to know exactly what you want to do--sometimes you do not need a guide but a driver to get you places. I did not do the balloon ride, that is something you may to look into in advance (some say to book it, some say unnecessary--but you wouldn't want to miss out). You can easily arrange a tour that gets you that in the morning and the whirling dervishes in the evening and anything you want in between. Cappadocia is one of the most tourist-helpful places I have ever been. Ihlara Valley and things in its vicinity would be one day. One day would be the open air museum and hiking near Goreme. That leaves 2 days for additional hiking or exploring other valleys with churches or towns. I stayed at the Kelebek Hotel which arranges tours as well.
You'll love it!
Old May 22nd, 2008, 11:50 AM
sjj

ttt
Old May 22nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

I am so excited and really appreciate the helpful suggestions! I have been reviewing the Turkey Travel Planner website today and really find it helpful. I certainly have a wealth of information to sift through.

Ruff and worldinabag- I appreciate the confirmation the Bosphorus Cruise and Cappdocia.

And Ruff, thanks for helping me conclude that with my limited time in Turkey, Pamukkale will have to be omitted from my itinerary. I will also add the underground cistern to my list. My sister suggested that as well.

yorkshire - As you suggested I will wait until the next day after my arrival in Istanbul to head out to Cappadocia. That gives me some time to explore Istanbul on the 7th and no worries about missed connections. I will add the Asian side and the Spice Bazaar to my plans as well. The more I read, the longer I want to stay in Turkey!!

Thanks again!
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 11:08 PM

Hello Wanderlust;
How are you? I hope you are fine. You can spend Cappadocia Two and half day Ok in Cappadocia.If you are interested, I have travel agent in Cappadocia. We are organising daily Cappadocia tour,Turkish Night and Hot Air Balloon Tour. I am writing you about Tour Plan. If you are interested please let me know Ican help you.
07'th of September There is direct flight Ýstanbul to Nevsehir at 13:25 Arrive Nevsehir at 14:40. We can pick up you from Nevsehir Airport and we can transfer your hotel in Cappadocia. You can Check in Hotel in Cappadocia. You can take rest half day Cappadocia. 20:30 we can pick up you from Hotel and we can take you Turkish Night(Whirling Dervish Show.
08'th September 09:30 Pick up from the hotel Derinkuyu Underground City-Ihlara Canyon -Lunch- Selime -Caravansaray -Back to hotel.
09'th Septeber 05:00 Hot Air Balloon Tour. 08:00 Finish Hot Air Balloon Tour Drop back you hotel. 09:00 Pick up from the hotel Uçhisar Castle – Göreme Open Air Museum -Lunch - Pigeon Valley - Monks Valley - Avanos Potery Centre - Ürgüp fairy Chimneys – Pasabaglari; Rose Valley; 20:00 Take bus From Cappadocia to Pamukkale.
10'th September 06:00 Arrive Pamukkale. 09:00 Pamukkale Tour Start visit Hot Spring Water, Hierapolis Ancient City and Travertens Pools in Pamukkale. You can take bus from Pamukkale to Ephesus at 16:30. Arrive Selcuk at 19:30. Check in hotel in Ephesus.
11'th September 09:00 Pick up from the hotel Artemission ; Ephesus Ruins;Lunch; Virgin Mary House ; St. Maria At 20:00 you can take Bus from Ephesus to Ýstanbul.
12'th September arrive Ýstanbul in the morning around 07:00. Rest half day after lunch you can do Boshporus Cruise. Other Days you can spend by yourself.
If you like you can check my agent web page: www.muskaratravel.com
Best Regards
Cappadocia
Old Jun 10th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

Unfortunatly, my trip to Greece and Turkey has been canceled.