Reload this Page >

Two day tour from istanbul to Ephesus and Pamukkale

Notices

Old Oct 27th, 2015, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have very limited time in Istanbul and Turkey. What are your thoughts about guided tours from Istanbul to Ephesus spending that night in Kusadasi on one day of the tour and touring Pamakkale and Heiropolis on the next day with a flight back to Istanbul that same evening? I know it is rushed but trying to see as much as we can because we may never be back. We will be in Istanbul for 5 days besides these two days. Any suggestions for tour companies that do this?
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 08:18 PM

Ephesus is certainly worth it!

Don't know the cost of this tour and you might be able to save a lot by doing it on your own. The tour includes other things too, so do it if you can.

OTOH, I might cut Istanbul to 4 days and see Cappadocia instead.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 08:48 PM
kja

I agree with Sassafrass that exploring options for visiting Ephesus, Pamakkale, and Heiropolis is worthwhile -- but I would add that trying to do all three in such a short time frame could be challenging. I would encourage you to explore your options for doing it on your own -- perhaps a flight to Kusadasi, rent a car, go to Selçuk and visit Ephesus and, if possible, the excellent Ephesus Museum; night in Selçuk; drive to Pamakkale / Hieropolis next a.m.; visit Pamakale and Hieropolis; return car and fly back to Istanbul either that evening or early next a.m., depending on what works. You'll have to check all of these legs carefully, as I'm more-or-less guessing based on what I remember of the info I came upon while developing my plans for the area back in 2012.

Oh, and if you decide to visit these ancient areas on your own, consider putting ALL of your time in Istanbul at the end of your trip if possible. Depending on where you are coming from, pushing on to Kusadasi could be tiring, but perhaps you will be tired under any scenario. If that works, it would save you a change of hotels and LOTS of time for getting from an airport in Istanbul into the city and back to the airport. Just a thought.

I disagree with Sassafrass (sorry!) about Cappadocia -- much as I loved that part of Turkey, I don't think trying to fit both Cappadocia and Istanbul into this same VERY rushed trip would give you enough time in either place. JMO.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 10:02 PM

Kja, don't be sorry.
You are always so nice. I often just throw out ideas and think different ideas and opinions are useful. Even if the OP can't use the idea for this trip, It might be good for someone else.
I certainly would not do all three, and it would be short changing both Istanbul and Cappadocia a bit, so I agree with that.
It is just a thought because it is hard to get to Cappadocia, and It was one of my favorite trips.
I also thought Ephesus was fantastic.
Old Oct 27th, 2015, 10:09 PM
kja

And thank you, Sassafrass, for your unfailing kindness and constructiveness! I agree that having different people lay out different options, and what they see as the pros and cons, is part of what makes this forum helpful. I'm always happy to play point-counterpoint with you (if even happier when we agree)!