July Cyclades Honeymoon

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
July Cyclades Honeymoon

My finacee and I are honeymooning in the Greek islands this summer, and we had some questions. Our first stop is Santorini. Which is better, fly in or ferry? I had heard the ferry has some nice views. Secondly, does anyone know aboutthe Santorini Jazz fest? We plan to spend our first days on the beach side of the island. Which is better: Perissa or Kamari? Any inexpensive/good hotels recommendations near the beach? The next two days we will spend in Esperas in Oia. Then we are off to Naxos. We are looking for a beachfront room, not at Agios Georgios, but Agios Anna, Prokopios or Plaka; any suggestions? (we will be renting a car on Naxos). Then we are off to Folegandros. What about hotels there. anenmilos looks pricey, but I have heard good things about the Kastro? and finally Paros, will we need to get a room before hand, or can we find a nice spot that day (in July)? And finally, our last night will be in Athens, any recommendatins for inexpensive, convinient lodging? Thanks for any help!
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:44 PM

first - congratulations! both on your upcoming nuptials and on the wonderful choice of honeymoon destinations! you will LOVE the cyclades! my husband and i spent our 5th anniversary there and it's one of our fave trips ever...the ferry to santorini is a LONG trip, so you may wish to fly, esp. since you'll get the ferry experience later in the trip. i'd def. choose perissa - close to akrotiri and the amazing red sand beach (i saw an octopus while snorkeling there!). incredible little fish taverna in akrotiri too, right on the water. Capt. ?'s - can't remember the name, but it's Capt. someone's. Oia is lovely... OPA!
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 05:35 AM

I stayed at the Anemomilos last year and all I would say it is may be pricey but it is worth it! Great views, friendly owners, beautiful round pool. I didn't look at the kastro which was closed but it is right in the village, it seems simpler, there is no pool.
Take a fishing boat around the island, it's great.
Athens - try the Cecil, it's OK (which is about as good as it gets in Athens for that money).
I booked through
www.i-escape.com/anemomilosapartments.php
Good luck
Michael
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 03:54 PM

In Perissia I've stayed at Porto Perissia and at Stelios Place both are fairly inexpensive (30 to 50 euros). Both places are small and run by very nice people but the rooms were a little nicer at Porto Perissia. I have stayed at Esperas as well and it's great, make sure you let them know when you will be moving over there so they can meet you to pick up your bags because there is a lot of steps.
I was thinking it would make more sense to go to Folegandros after Santorini because you will get better ferry conections than you would from Naxos. Sorry I can't help you with hotels there.
In Naxos last summer I stayed at Lianos Village in Stelida near Prokopios Beach(75 euros) our room was very comfortable there is a great pool and a little bar. Although they have an unobstructed sea view they are not "on the beach" it would a 5 to 10 minute walk, we usually drove our scooters. My only complaint was there wasn't much to eat in walking distance we drove to Naxos town every night for supper.
In Paros we stayed at Kanales in Naoussa we got a room there without reservation for about 50 euros it was fine thay have a small pool and was in a nice location.
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 05:52 PM

The prices at the Anemomilos Apartments on Folegandros have no doubt gone up since we were there but I wouldn't stay anywhere else. Designed by the owner/architect, the place is fabulous. What you see in the beautiful brochure is what you get - and more. This is the time to splurge on a cliffside suite. Ours, all spotlessly clean and spacious, had a living room, writing area, kitchen, large bed and two balconies with the most stunning views imaginable. Next time though, I think I would opt for one with an enclosed shower in the bathroom.

They also provide a handy clothes drying rack on the balcony. By comparison, I took a small load of laundry out to be done in Santorini because the hotel where we stayed wouldn't allow washing in the sink and got back a wet lump for $14 Can.

I expect that one day Folegandros will be 'discovered' (and I'm probably not helping), prices will go sky high and the old-time charm will be lost.

I know the ferries often get a bad rap but we enjoyed all the stops between Piraeus and Folegandros. Having a cabin helped to make the long trip easier.

The angled jutting rock of Folegandros is like no other you'll pass on the way. Look up as you sail by and you'll see the white balconies of the Anemomilos clinging to the top of the cliff. Wonderful.