Greek Island Honeymoon Help

Jan 3rd, 2006, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Greek Island Honeymoon Help

My fiance and I are planning to go to Greece on our honeymoon in the beginning of May. We've researched the islands and have decided that we'd like to spend 2 nights in Athens, 3 nights in Santorini, 2 nights in Mykonos and 2 nights in Naxos. Will we be too rushed with that itinerary? If so, which island would you cut out? We want to have a good mix of relaxing at the beach/pool, sightseeing and exploring, and enjoying the Greek nightlife. Also, I know that it's not going to be hot and the water will be chilly at that time of year, but will we at least be comfortable relaxing at a pool or on the beaches? Finally, any hotel recommendations for honeymooners would be appreciated. We want to be close to the action and beaches.
Jan 3rd, 2006, 02:32 PM

Hi

I think it is a little rushed. Being your honeymoon I would be inclined to pick one island. It would have to be Santorini. Make sure you get accommodation with a caldera view - very romantic. The beaches aren't as nice as Mykonos or Naxos but the scenery is fantastic.

In terms of hotel recommendations please state your budget. We stayed at the Grotto Villas - http://www.santonet.com/hotels/grotto/.Self contained, very spacious and large balcony with glorious views all for 100E.

Hotels in Santorini is a very popular question so you can also use the Search facility in this forum.

Congratulations - I hope it all goes well for you.
Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:04 PM

Worldinabag is correct, you are trying to do way too much in too short a time. The ferry trips between the islands will take up at least half a day for each transfer. Before you know it you will have spent a quarter of your honeymoon on or waiting for ferries.
I'd suggest two or three days in Athens, perhaps a couple of days on arrival to get over jet lag and one at the end so you don't get caught up in any possible ferry delays.
After that go to one or two islands max. Many people do Santorini for their honeymoon and everyone just raves about it. In early May hotels will be available without a reservation so you can just play it by ear. If you love Santorini then stay there for the full time. If you get wanderlust then hop a ferry to another island. I am always ready to recommend Naxos for it's great beaches and antiquities and it's genuine Greek people.
With respect to beaching you should expect the temp in the 80's. The water won't be really warm but heck here in Canada some of the lakes still have ice in them in early May so chilly is a relative term.
Jan 3rd, 2006, 04:12 PM

I agree, you probably should cut out at least one island. Stanbr has suggested taking it one island at a time. I think that's a great idea. You can move between the islands easily by ferry and it won't be crowded in May.

I personally would eliminate Mykonos. I've never been there, and I'm sure many will disagree, but it's my impression that unless you absolutely must visit Delos you can get most of everything that Mykonos has to offer on other islands.
Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:20 PM

My hopefully soon-to-be-fiance and I are taking a trip to Athens, Istanbul and Santorini in May. She'd really like to see Crete while we are on Santorini. I was wondering if anyone knew whether a daytrip to Crete was possible? Also, do you recommend bringing ring to pop the question. If not I'll creatively come up with something else to use, but can you suggest a place to ask.

Thanks.
Jan 3rd, 2006, 08:42 PM

Hi Chadnycity

It's probably forum etiquette to post seperately. You'll get a lot more answers too! But if cjsg doesn't mind this time...

There is a lot to see in Crete and so even if it is possible it would be very whirlwind as a day trip. I wouldn't.

I will be doing something similar to your itinerary. In Sept 06 I will fly Olympic Air from Istanbul to Athens to Paros. Then return flight from Paros to Athens. Cost is A$470. This may help with one of your earlier posts.

Yes I would bring the ring. I'm sure brotherleelove2004 can suggest a romantic restaurant with a sunset view of the caldera. Catch her at that moment! If she loves you and has a pulse she can't say no.

Good luck
Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:21 PM

Technically a day trip to Crete is possible if you fly, but you will be extrememly limited time-wise to just a few hours before your return flight.

For fun I plugged in May 2 as a possiblility. You can leave Santorini on the morning Aegean flight at 7:25 and be in Heraklion by 10:30. This will give you time for a quick run out to Knossos in a rental car with time to spare for lunch before catching a flight back at 2:50 returning to Santorini by 6:30 PM. Both directions means a flight back to Athens to change planes.

http://www.aegean-air.gr/aegeanen/home/

I think your time and money will be better spent making your proposal of marriage something unforgettable. Stay in the most romantic village of Oia on Santorini in one of the "sunset view" hotels such as Esperas or Oia Mare or Fanari. Make arrangements for some champagne to be brought to your room just before sunset and go for it!!
Jan 3rd, 2006, 11:35 PM

Too many islands, but which one to eliminate? Santorini should stay on your list, so that leaves Naxos or Mykonos to get the chop. Both have good beaches, and neither will be crowded in early May. Mykonos has a beautiful hora (main town), and many upmarket restaurants, shops, etc. It is easy to visit the island of Delos from there. Naxos arguably has the best beaches in the Cyclades, and much to see inland as well. You would probably get a better taste of Greek island life on Naxos.

Expecting the temperatures to be in the 80s in early May is optimistic. You may be lucky, but high 60s or low 70s is more likely. That should be warm enough for some days on the beach, but do bring jackets and sweaters for the evenings.
Jan 4th, 2006, 05:37 AM

Yes, sorry CJSG, I apologize for the additional question, bad form. Thanks for the responses though and I'll post the question separately. Congratulations and perhaps I'll run into you there!