Other Countries from Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2003, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I have a five day trip coming up in June to Rome. My knowledge of European geography and transport leves a lot to be desired.<BR><BR>Are there any other countries that are doable with a train ride from Rome? If so, how far in terms of time is it? We'd like to go to Germany. Or should we just take in another city in Italy?
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 03:42 PM

You will barely have time to see Rome in 5 days.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 03:48 PM

Agree. With only 5 days, stay in Rome. There are also a couple of easy daytrips, Ostia Antica and Tivoli, that you could take if you want to see something outside Rome.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Sorry, let me add that I'd also add more days. I'd be open to making the trip 10 days total, maybe 12.
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 04:08 PM

From Rome you can take night trains to: <BR>Vienna, Munich, Paris, Nice. The trip takes more or less the whole night so you'll arrive there the following morning. I suggest NOT to get the sleeperette but the WAGON LITS, which, yes are more expensive, but they are much more comfortable. There are single, double and triple wagon lits. You can reserve and buy the tickets directly at the Termini Station. <BR>For more info about trains from Rome to these cities, have a look at www.trenitalia.com
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 04:21 PM
rex

There is scarcely any reason to leave Italy, whether you have five days, 10, 12 or 12 weeks. but you can if you want, and flying is a much cheaper to see some contrasting parts of europe, than train (but train would be excellent for other destinations IN Italy).<BR><BR>You can fly for a song to England, Belgium, Greece, Germany, Croatia or Holland; likewise, Portugal and Spain from Milan, Bologna or Venice.<BR><BR>For Germany, you best choices are www.germanwings.com or www.hlx.com<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>[email protected]<BR>
Old Feb 24th, 2003, 06:09 PM

Of course, Vatican City is another country; pretty easy to get to from Rome . Another would be San Marino. I would opt for a few days in the Lake Region (Como, Maggiore) and take a quick trip into Switzerland.
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

bump
Old Feb 25th, 2003, 01:33 PM

We combined Rome with a visit to Croatia which can be reached by ferry or with a short flight from Rome to either Split or Dubrovnik. We used Europe By Air to book the flights, if you book early enough the flights are $99 each way.<BR><BR>I'd highly recommend a visit to Croatia, beautiful scenery, not overrun by tourists, not a lot of Western chain restaurants
Old Feb 26th, 2003, 06:00 PM

i just returned from 6 day rome stay. it wasn't enough. to see all that you would want, you will need to run around and hurry through museums,sites, squares, walking tours on your own (get rick steve's rome guide book at bookstore--invaluable), and barely have relaxation time to sit at cafe and drink a bottle of wine at pantheon at sunset. beware of daydrips with tour companies, almost all are on full buses, with stops at bad shops and pre-set up bad lunches. tour guides are trying to get you to go their sites/shops with commision agreements, and are often elusive about the true itinerary. rome could take a month if you enjoy museums, art, sculpture, etc.., but the public sites, fountains, squares, upscale shopping and nightlife you can wander through are neverending.<BR>i had never been there before, and was not too exited to be going only there for some silly reason. throw a coin over your shoulder at trevi fountain at night and wish for your return. enjoy.<BR>ps. i was warned about many pickpockets and thieves--didn't encounter any--and walked around all night. it was feb. low tourist season though. a must see is bourghese museum-need reservations for tickets or you have no chance- highly recommended-you can reserve english guide also-