JFK to Newark

Old May 7th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JFK to Newark

AA has changed my reservation and now I have to get from JFK to Newark after flying in from Europe to get to DFW.

We have plenty of time I think--4 hours. What is the best way to do that?

I found Olympia Airporter among other modes of transportation and it seemed the easiest/cheapest but I don't see where to make reservations. If this is the way to go, do we need reservations?

Thanks
Old May 7th, 2008, 05:41 PM
J62

JFK to Newark isn't a trek I'd want to take any time, any day.

There are basically hourly flights from LGA to DFW. Call AA and see if they can put you on a flight out of LGA instead of Newark.

JFK to LaGuardia is 15-30min portal to portal by taxi.

(posted same reply on your US board message)
Old May 7th, 2008, 06:35 PM

I wouldn't want to make the change from JFK to Newark if you only have 4 hours between flights.

What if your first flight is late?

Will you have to collect luggage and go through customs? This could take one hour easily.

According to the airport website, the Olympia Airporter takes 90 minutes to get from JFK to Newark.

You probably need to check in at least an hour ahead just to clear security at Newark.

Yes, see if you can fly from LGA!
Old May 7th, 2008, 08:12 PM

Oh my , call AA right away what are they trying to do to you. that situation can get stressful....
4 hours - you definitely need more time
Old May 7th, 2008, 09:00 PM

Last time I did this it really did take over 90 minutes to get from one airport to the other. PLUS an astonishing amount of time actually waiting for the bus at JFK. They don't seem to publish a schedule, and there was no-one at JFK with the foggiest idea of when a bus would turn up.

Taxis are over $100 - but couldn't take much less than 90 minutes either. I suspect it'd be quicker, cheaper and more reliable to get the AirTrain, the tube to 34th Street, then the train out to EWR - but that's a fair amount of baggage shlepping, and an awful lot of waiting for the next connection.

At least 3.5 hours from touchdown to arriving at Newark airport - plus time to your terminal plus checkin, security etc. Possibly quicker by train and tube through Manhattan. On my experience, I wouldn't do this with less than 6 hours between flights.
Old May 7th, 2008, 10:15 PM

Before trying to figure out how to get from JFT to Newark - Shop your dates on AA and other websites (such as Kayak).

Often when there are schedule changes, the computer automatically reassigns you to different flights, when more convenient ones ARE available. If you find more convenient flights, phone AA and ask to be changed to those flights. There shouldn't be any charge to do this, or even cancel for a refund with no penalties. If it were me, I'd insist.

Also, shop other airlines. Air France is having a sale right now (for only three days, I think), and other airlines, including American, are matching the lower prices.

You will definitely have to go through Immigration, collect your bags, and go through Customs at JFK.

Not only is 4 hours NOT plenty of time, this is bloody inconvenient with extra expense to you.

I would do everything possibly to avoid this dreadful "connection".
Old May 8th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Four hours isn;t plenty of time. If you run into traffic, accidents, construction or bad weather you can be on the road for 2 of them. Then you have to land (if your plane is on time) go through immigration, pick up luggage, go through customs - find your transit - hope there's no disaster on the road and try to get to EWR far enough in advance of flight time to check luggage ad go through security.

And I assume this is separate tickets - which means if you miss the second flight you're on your own to find and pay for another way home. I would change to a flight out of JFK - or, if you have to, LGA - which is MUCH closer the EWR.

Also look at the JFL web site for transit between airports. I think the shuttle bus was cancelled. Which means taking a big $$$ taxi or car service.

Old May 8th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. After staying on hold with AA for a very long time, we got reservations on a flight out of JFK. Without your advice I would have jus assumed it must be fairly simple to do since they were asking us to do it. I am very relieved.
Old May 8th, 2008, 12:12 PM

If you can go out of LGA then use Kew Gardens Cab 718-846-6666 as they charge a flate rate and its much cheaper..do not use a yellow cab as they are metered and very expensive. I use Kew Gardens Cab all the time as I am a Flight Attnedant out of JFK and we cover these airports.