Jerez De La Fronera OR Cadiz?

Mar 27th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Jerez De La Fronera OR Cadiz?

My husband and I (early 60's food, wine, art and culture lovers) are going to be spending January in Spain, using public transportation, and have planned the entire itinerary based on the excellent advice found in this forum - I haven't had to ask even one question until now. We have 3 days between our stays in Sevilla and Arcos de la Frontera so we are trying to choose between either Jerez De La Frontera OR Cadiz. We could use one as a base to do a day trip to the other but if that didn't work out, which is the best choice of the two,in your opinion, if we have to miss out on the other?
Mar 27th, 2007, 01:02 PM

I stayed in Jerez and day tripped to Cadiz - very different places.

Jerez is great because of the Sherry tours (Sherry being a British corruption of the word jerez after sherry became the rage in England) and the famous Andulcian Horse Riding School - with Lippizanner type beasts doing their thing - near daily rehearsals like i went to and regular shows.

That said Jerez is not the best of towns and not the worst - said to have one of the highest crime rates in Europe due to poverty and drug addiction but i didn't feel much of a threat.

Cadiz was a more palpable city but save for the old historic centre and beaches not all that much to do.

I took a train between the two and it didn't take long at all. If driving it's a short drive. Guess i wouldn't leave anything of value in the car but that's true for all of Spain and many of Europe's cities.
Mar 27th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply PalenO - I was going to book Jerez but started to have doubts because when we are there - winter - there are no workouts, rehearsals, nor shows I don't know even if there will be sherry tours then either (first week in January) I didn't know about the crime. We won't have a car but...and of course we won't be doing beach stuff at that time of year. I wonder if Cadiz is more interesting historically than Jerez? Wonder if we should just scip both?This is the only part of our trip I've had these doubts!
Mar 28th, 2007, 03:11 AM

Encantadora is a rather presumptuous name!

Personally, I prefer el Puerto de Santa Maria, where Bodegas Osborne is domiciled. You can get to Jerez de la frontera or Cadiz easily from there. It's between the two.

I stay at Hotel Santa Maria - there's a small ferryboat that takes you across the Bay to the port of Cadiz. I don't know if it operates year-round or not. If it does, it leaves from just across the parking lot from the Hotel.

There's also a 5-star deluxe Hotel: el Monasterio de San Miguel, if you're into 'top shelf' stuff; and you should be able to get a reasonable rate on a room in January (after los Reyes).
Mar 28th, 2007, 03:53 AM

Between Jerez and Cadiz is Puerto de Santa Maria, a nice town that is best base to do day trips to Jerez or Cadiz.
Mar 28th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you NEDSIRELAND and Revulgo! Puerto de Santa Maria sounds...well...ENCANTADORA You have made my day and our final itinerary. This is exactly what I was looking for. Can't believe I missed it in my research.
Mar 28th, 2007, 10:29 AM

I would go for Jerez. Cadiz was the one mistake we made on a four-week trip to Spain in 2006.
Mar 28th, 2007, 10:42 AM

except for sherry or horsing around neither town inspired me to return
Mar 28th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

So happytrailstoyou - what happened in Cadiz? Was it your hotel or ??? Would you advise we miss Cadiz even as a daytrip from a base of el Puerto de Santa Maria? Since we can't really "horse around" in January but we can tipple sherry in Puerto, we were thinking we would now skip Jerez and do only Cadiz as a daytrip but maybe we should just hang around Puerto for the three days. We are looking into hotels and came around Casa No. 6. Anyone familiar with it? When we googled it, it looks like it may be up for sale so maybe it won't be an option but we are trying to find an EMail for it to see if they will still be in biz in Jan.
Mar 28th, 2007, 12:03 PM

I second El Puerto de Santa Maria. There is a great restaurant "BAR JAMON" right off the limited access bypass on the north side of El Puerto. (Lat/Lon on Google Earth is 36.607281N, 6.243312W)

Cadiz is too far out on the end of the peninsula to suit me. Jerez would be my second choice although I would consider Vejer de la Frontera also.
Mar 28th, 2007, 12:13 PM

We stayed at the Parador in Cadiz for three nights in May, 2006. It was a big disappointment and the location was neither pleasant nor convenient to the historic core.

We may have been happier at the Hosperderia Las Cortes de Cadiz, but I doubt it.

Cadiz is an unexpectedly large city, worth a peek if you have time.

We salvaged our stay there with day trips to El Puerto de Santa Maria and Sanlucar de Barrameda (both very interesting) and we spent one special day at the Feria del Caballo in Jerez--a most memorable experience.
Mar 28th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Fibonacci2358 Yes, I definitely think Puerto de Santa Maria will be our base. I looked up your suggestion of Vejer de la Frontera and it also sounds encantadora but we are carless so I think it would be difficult to easily navigate up there via train from Sevilla then local bus. Thanks for your reply happytrailstoyou. I think Cadiz may be too large for our tastes too but we can always wait and see after we settle in Puerto. Alas, the boat does not go over to Cadiz in January so we would have to train or bus it for the day which may not appeal. Sanlucar de Barrameda may be an option. Hmmm...now I know why they call this area the sherry triangle. Maybe we should spend one night in Jerez, one in Puerto and one night in Barrameda? We don't usually like one night stands but maybe this time if public transportation is doeable... Any thoughts sherry fans?
Mar 29th, 2007, 03:25 AM

In el Puerto, Buses from/to Cadiz and Jerez stop in front of the Renfe station: it's a 'hike' from the Hotel Santa Maria; I don't know of any Bus Station.

Sanlucar de Barrameda is the Manzanilla (the dryest of Sherries) Capital of the world.
Mar 29th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

We try to travel light but are there local taxis that hang out at the renfe station if the "hike" is too much? Not sure if the local terrain is up to roller suitcases. Are we talking about 10 minutes or ?