Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will museums, stores, etc. in Rome be closed on June 2nd (Founding of the Republic Day)?

Will museums, stores, etc. in Rome be closed on June 2nd (Founding of the Republic Day)?

Apr 6th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

I just saw a list of Italian holidays that includes Founding of the Republic Day on June 2nd. I hadn't seen that on a list of holidays before. Does anyone know how major a holiday that is and if things will be closed for it?
Apr 6th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Some stores will close but most will be open. The larger museums usually are open on holidays so that working families can enjoy them on their day off.
Apr 6th, 2006, 01:19 PM

We were in Italy last year on June 2, some were not even aware it was a holiday. The taxi driver explained that some time ago June 2 was a holiday, then it was not, and now it has be reinstated. Some of the stores were closed but museums were open, in fact we went to the Uffizi on June 2. The buses were running but that may have been because they were on stike 2 days before that. There will be plenty to do on June 2.
Jun 12th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Now that I've returned, I'll answer my own question, for the benefit of anyone who might search this thread: The museums were open but almost every store was closed. It was our last day in Rome. There was a HUGE parade. We went to the Borghese Gallery but hoped to do some shopping later. All the stores were closed; only a few stands were open.
Mar 29th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

I thought I'd top this old thread of mine, as many folks seem to be planning late May/early June trips to Rome.