Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Seville - Casa Sacristia or Rey de Baeza?

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed in Seville at the Casa Sacristia Santa Ana? I currently have reservations at the highly recommended, and expensive, Hospes Las Casas del Rey de Baeza for the All Saints' weekend but have an opportunity to reserve at the Casa Sacristia Santa Ana mentioned in a New York Times article and very reasonably priced. I hate to change a sure thing for an unknown but it is quite a savings. Unfortunately for me Hotel Alminar is booked.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 04:12 PM

PJTravels,
I haven't seen or stayed in the new Casa Sacristía Santa Ana, but I have looked over their web site and see that it's located directly on the Alameda de Hércules rather than in the Barrio de Santa Cruz or Arenal quarters, which I much prefer.

This A de H location would give me pause simply because the very large square is filled with late night bars and can get quite noisy. The area has been cleaned up in the last several years but still is a bit edgy, bohemian, attracting an alternative crowd and large groups of kids who use it for their "botellón" gatherings.

Although the Casa Sacristía has lots of bells and whistles-pillow menu, flat screen TV, 24 hr. room service,
I just prefer more quiet or prettier areas.

I do know the 4 star Hospes and have sent friends there who were very pleased. It's tucked away in the northeast corner of the Santa Cruz quarter, on a quiet square, behind the Casa de Pilatos.

If price is a major concern (I see Nov. 1 Hospes rooms go for 188 and 268), have you checked availability at the Casa Romana, Casas de la Judería or sister Casas de los Mercaderes, Suites Maestro or the much less expensive Amadeus?
You probably have, but just thought I'd mention them, just in case.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 04:49 PM

I can vouch for Los Casas de los Mercaderes. We had a very good 5-night stay there a few years ago..

http://www.intergrouphoteles.com/mercaderes/es/
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the review and alternate suggestions. I'll give them a try.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 12:02 PM

PJ, I can tell you what happened to me last year with the Sacristia Santa Ana. I had booked with them (precisely because of the area, thinking of going out at night) at least three months before.

Around a month before our planned weekend I wrote them an email, I am not sure why, and they told me that they had misplaced my reservation and that by the time they had found it, they didnīt have rooms. And they didnīt think about informing me of that !

I had a very hard time trying to find a place because it was the last concert of "Heroes del Silencio" (a famous spanish rock group) and most of the hotels were taken by the fans. Even the Alfonso XII was fully booked. I ended up finding a room at Las Casas de La Juderia. Expensive, but I really loved it.

Rgds, Cova
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Good input - thanks. I'm not totally panicked yet, but I certainly have put out other requests. We are going over the All Saints' weekend so things are booked. We need 2 rooms as our daughter is meeting us there so that is the concern about price.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 11:03 PM

PJTravels,
Another I forgot to mention-Casa del Maestro, the sister to Suites del Maestro. We stayed during Holy Week and loved our stay.
And check the other offerings at
www.sevilla5.com
if everthing mentioned above is booked.
Old Sep 14th, 2008, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Maribel. It appears that Casa del Maestro has openings for us through the website you mentioned. Now to put together the last pieces of our trip.