Petit Palace Santa Cruz in Sevilla?

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 08:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Petit Palace Santa Cruz in Sevilla?

I am in the process of choosing a hotel for the second half our our stay in Spain -- 4 nights in Sevilla. We would like a fairly upscale place (such as Las Casas del Rey de Baeza) but have been a little scared off by the "upscale prices" for late November. I came across the Petit Palace Santa Cruz which I understand was just redone and opened up this year. But I couldn't find any feedback on this board from people who have been there. TripAdvisor reviews are good and the rate is reasonable, but I rely so heavily on the good folks here that I wanted to check and see if anyone has any first hand experience they can share. Rooms? Service? Location?
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 03:39 PM

if this is part of the "petit palace" chain, at least in valencia they are trendy, smallish rooms, but the free internet is appealng to some people.

i would feel good with this choice, especially if it has been recently remodeled.

have you checked www.gtahotels.com, www.rumbo.es, www.talonotel.com,
www.lastminute.com?

maybe there is a big convention or local holiday then that is keeping prices high.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 04:17 PM

We stayed in the Petit Palace Marques de Santa Ana en Sevilla, as lin casanova says they are pleasant. We had a good time, breakfast was very nice and in our case the location was excellent.I also stayed in the Petit Palace Italia in Madrid and got a very nice room there although the hotel was 3 stars versus 4 I thought it was nicer
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 04:48 PM

chi_jen,
I'm afraid you probably won't find a discount rate at the very upscale Hospes design hotel Casas del Rey de Baeza. Usually the Hospes best rates can be found on their own web site. (We've stayed at Hospes, and I monitor their rates and new openings).

We send friends to the Casas del Rey de Baeza frequently. I love this hotel. I love its warren of charming patios, its sevillano flavor, its decor, its lovely little roof top pool, its casual dining, its quiet location tucked away in the upper northeastern corner of the Barrio de Santa Cruz. It has class.

I'm not totally convinced by all the hotels of the Petit Palace-High Tech group. They've been flooding Spain with new properties in the last few yrs., "boutique" on the cheap, and some have been very hurriedly opened without the proper finishing touches. They do fit the bill for those who want a touch of high tech flavor (and free internet) at a low price, and for those would need or would rather watch their pennies, they fit the bill nicely. I haven't seen the properties in Sevilla, but since Graziella enjoyed the Marqués de Santa Ana, I certainly trust her taste completely and would go with it rather than the Santa Cruz.

I think the Petit Palace in Valencia is just fine for those who want some style on a budget, and I feel the same about the P.P in Bilbao.

The two Petit Palace properties in Madrid that I personally know (don't know the Italia) and that really impress me, that I think can compete with the other boutique design hotels, are the Petit Palace Embassy and the High Tech President, both in the elegant Salamanca quarter, near and on Serrano, thus they have to have class and style to compete with the other deluxe properties surrounding them.

If you want upscale for 4 nights, I would go for the Marqués de Santa Ana, but also compare the rates with the Casa del Maestro, a lovely member of Rusticae, plus the Casa Romana (not in the Santa Cruz quarter).

There's also everyone's favorite Casas de la Judería (but rooms can vary widely, it's availabe on the discount sites, and it has nearly 100 rooms now), or its smaller sister, the Casas de los Mercaderes.

For "charm for less", I'd also consider the new boutique hotel brought to you by the Modesto group, the Doña Manuela.
http://www.grupomodesto.com">www.grupomodesto.com

So look at all of the above, then compare their rates to the Casas del Rey de Baeza and then decide. It is an important choice because you have 4 nights.

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:29 PM

chi_jean,
Forgot to mention...the location of the Petit Palace Santa Cruz, next to Calle Vírgenes is just fine. I've stayed in that immediate area at the Casa 7.

It depends on whether you want a "futuristic" (says one tripadvisor review), high tech room or one with more authentic Sevillano flavor.

Sorry,
The 2 star Doña Mañuela that I mentioned above is way too budget with rooms too small, for what you're seeking-light years from the 4 star Hospes Casas del Rey de Baeza, so don't research it!
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help with this one. We are thinking that Sevilla might be our splurge for the nicer hotel so I am leaning towards just going for the Las Casas del Rey de Baeza. My only question/concern is the location. I know that the quiet, residential neighborhood has appeal, I just want to be sure that it is still a good location for our first visit to Sevilla? We won't be familiar witih the city and we will be doing all/most of our travel and sightseeing on foot.
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 03:10 PM

chi_jen,
Our friends who stayed at the Casas del Rey de Baeza were first-timers to Seville also, but they specifically wanted the hotel in July for the roof top pool.
It's about a 10 (fast) to15 min. (leisurely) walk to the cathedral and more or less a straight walk.
From the hotel take Calle Cardenal de Cervantes, which leads to Zamudio, which leads to Rey Don Pedro, which turns into Corral del Rey, which becomes Argote de Molina and you're there.