Sevilla for Semana Santa and Then?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so we bit the bullet and booked El Rey Moro for a few nights in Sevilla toward the end of Semana Santa - expensive but I wanted to be near the action. After a few days of that, we have about 5 days to spend somewhere peaceful. I'd like it to be bus-able and preferably in Andalucia. We'll be meeting up with friends after that, so I don't want to do the usual Granada, Ronda, Cordoba, Madrid sorts of things until we're with our friends. Somebody mentioned Medina to me, I've also seen many other places mentioned on this board. For this period of time, we are looking for a very Spanish town that has a small, simple hostal and a bar/restaurant or two. Any ideas?
Thanks so much for your help!
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 04:54 PM

kim:

You will get plenty of information from this forum...my suggestion would have been Ronda, but you're saving that. OPn the other hand, spending most of the time in Sevilla is not a bad idea..lots to see and do. Wonderful city! Why not leave for Ronda a few days before friends arrive...they can meet you there.

You're in for a most colorful, unique treat...Sevilla during the Semana is unlike anything you can imagine...be prepared to stay up late each night...the night "marches" are very exciting to watch. We particularly loved the "Dancing of the Virgin" where floats are bounced and shaken by the "pasos", about twenty young, partially hidden and hearty men carrying them..

Enjoy!

Stu T.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 06:03 PM

We stayed at the Parador in Jaen and had a lovely time. It isn't very small though.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 07:26 PM

Kimeryl,
If you rent a car, you could go down to the blindingly white Moorish hill town of Vejer de la Frontera. Take the back route from Seville that will take you through Medina Sidonia.

In Vejer there are hostals, little boutique hotels, bars and the coast just minutes away. And the sherry triangle of Jerez de la Frontera, Puerto de Santa María and Sanlúcar de Barrameda are within easy reach, as is Càdiz.
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help! Maribel, your recommendation sounds appealing but I really want to avoid getting a car at this point, we'll be doing a bit of driving later on. Is there no way to get to this place by bus? When I was in Sevilla in college, we did all our traveling by thumb, but somehow I don't see myself hitching at this point in my life!
Old Jan 16th, 2008, 09:06 AM

Hi Kimeryl,
Yes, from Seville there are busses to Jerez, to Cádiz, Tarifa (windsurfers' capital), to Conil (for beaches) and to Vejer de la Frontera, which I suggested.

Departures from Seville to Vejer are at 9 am, 3 pm, 5:30 pm and 8 pm daily.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 04:05 PM

You could also spend the time in Cadiz and do several daytrips by bus:

Possibilities:
-Sanlucar de Barrameda
-Medina Sidonia
-Arcos de la Frontera
-Vejer de la Frontera
-Jerez de la Frontera (bus or train)
-El Puerto de Santa Maria (bus/train/ferry)

I absolutely love Cadiz as it surrounded by ocean on 3 sides and makes a great base for visiting the sherry triangle and white villages. The Gitanos (natives of Cadiz) are very charming and the food is great.

You are in for an absolute treat visiting Sevilla for Semana Santa and were very lucky to be able to make reservations at this late date. I'll be there again this year (my 6th) and it is a unique and wonderful experience each visit.

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 05:05 PM

There are lots of Gitanos (gypsies) in Cadiz...but the natives of Cadiz are not called Gitanos ! They are called Gaditanos
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 06:43 PM

Ugh - oh course! That's what I get for posting without previewing! Sorry if I insulted any Gaditanos.....
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:05 PM

Cathym, are the ine one that lives in L.A and goes to La Espanola Foods? (Like me?)

When are you leaving?
Please keep us posted on your return. You must
be an expert on Sevilla by now!

Ana Maria
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 01:16 AM

I don't know if Cadiz is HQ for Comes SA bus company, but it is a hub for them. In Sevilla Prado de San Sebastian (i.e., not Plaza de Armas) Bus Station is the one they use.
Have you considered Huelva? Damas SA has bus routes west of Sevilla out of Plaza de Armas bus station. Hostal Rocio in Huelva may be what you're looking for.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help. I have been to Sevilla before for Semana Santa and loved it, I think it will be even more interesting knowing someone in one of the pasos. As far as Huelva, well I love it but I did drink a LOT of sangria there once (in college) and it does bring back memories of the worst hangover ever! However, I did really like it. I am assuming that beach areas in late March/early April won't be very crowded, so that might be a great place to hang out. Thanks again for the ideas.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 06:08 AM

I've taken a Damas SA Bus (por pueblos) from Huelva to Mazagon to join some family with a 4-bedroom Condo there for Semana Santa. It should be nice to sit on the beach and enjoy the sun, but a little early for swimming. There were a lot of students on the Bus going to their University, so there's probably a 'local' service.

As I recall, Hostal Rocio is close to the Plaza de Toros. There's also a great Churreria right in front of the Plaza de Toros where we would pick up Churros and head for the Market where we would order Chocolate Caliente to wash them down
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 09:55 AM

amsdon-
Yes, I'm the poster that lives in LA and goes to La Espanola (it's Saturday - maybe I'll go today for paella!). I'm leaving March 14 - less than 6 weeks away. I had the Semana Santa week planned back in August (Cadiz/Sevilla) but still have to plan my second week! I wouldn't call myself an expert on Sevilla but I do know parts of the city very well and love it.

If anyone is going to be in Sevilla over Semana Santa and would like to meet for tapas, I'd be up for it!
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 06:22 PM

Kimeryl

Please let us know how it works out. I posted a Feria link a fews days ago hop this helps you.

Cathym, I am going to UCLA on wednesday to see Eva Yerbabuena if by chance you are going?

ams

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 06:18 PM

amsdon-
I hadn't planned on attending the performance. In fact, this was the first I had read of it.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM

well I am going Wenesday & I am sure I will enjoy it. Will let you know.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Well, I really appreciate all the help here. I am in the process of getting all the dates solidified (a couple will be meeting us at some point) and then I will be back to get further recommendations and share final plans. I'll keep you posted, I have really appreciated reading other postings for ideas.
Kim