itinerary rome umbria croatia benelux help please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are an active couple in our 50's from Australia wanting to see the above countries also staying in the Uk for about a month which is the most cost effective , scenic way to get around - any help would be appreciated -
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 04:53 AM

Need to give a bit more information. When do you plan to go? Total time for the trip? Do you plan to drive, train, plane? What is your planned budget? What things interest you? What do you not care about?

dave
Old Aug 7th, 2008, 03:03 PM
Original Poster

sorry about the lack of info.
will be travelling may/june 2009 and plan to travel by train primarily but will hire a car if we deem that a better option.
We are interested in history and architecture etc but not so much the shopping.
Umbria and surrounding areas is high on our list and also a few days in Rome. From Italy we would like to visit Croatia (we may come from the UK on a flight if this is the cheapest) but again are unsure of the best mode of transport and also the best places to visit. After Croatia we would like to see the best of Benelux[ 10 days] but again are looking for any helpful ideas.We will eventually make our way to Paris and plan to train it to UK where we will hire a car and should be o.k.
Pete
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 06:37 AM

I can only give you advise during your stay in Rome. I am more that pleased to share our experience. We stayed in http://www.thekeytoitaly.com/Apartment-Messalina.html We enjoyed very much!
Old Aug 8th, 2008, 09:55 AM

Lavradio - your knowledge of Rome apartments is absolutely amazing!!!

On different threads, you wrote the following posts:

Author: Lavradio
Date: 08/08/2008, 10:55 am
We were quick in finding our apartment Campo de' Fiori in Rome, It was on the 4th floor but with no elevator... we didn't care, the location was enough and very comfortable. http://www.thekeytoitaly.com/Apartment-Pretoriano.html

Date: 08/08/2008, 10:47 am
When in Rome, I would advise to stay in this place, http://www.thekeytoitaly.com/Apartment-Gregorio.html. We stayed here and it was great. You have already a head start in seeing Rome because this apartment is right across from the Vatican museum...as for the rest, a guide would be a big help. It was for us.

Date: 08/08/2008, 10:01 am
When I was in Rome, I took a day trip to Pompei (you will love it). I rented a car, but i think it will be wiser to take the train. The stop is right at the entrance of Pompei site anyway, which is very nice! In rome, if you haven't found a place to stay yet, we stayed in this place in front of the vatican walls http://www.thekeytoitaly.com/Apartme...orgimento.html For a family of five it seems great for you. It suited up nicely.

Date: 07/15/2008, 01:04 pm
Hello Emilou,
If you check site www.thekeytoitaly.com, they have a quad suite called Julius Caesar only 2 mins walking distance from the Spanish Steps on Via Condotti. Give them a try. Send them an email and they will send you more information. We didn't have any problems using them!

Plus, on this very thread:

Date: 08/08/2008, 10:37 am

I can only give you advise during your stay in Rome. I am more that pleased to share our experience. We stayed in http://www.thekeytoitaly.com/Apartment-Messalina.html We enjoyed very much!

That's a total of five Roman apartments where you've been staying personally, and all from that "keytoitaly" site? Well please: don't take us for fools and stay away from Fodor's with your ill-disguised advertisements, will you?
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 07:17 AM

Dear Franco,

You are right! I apologize for submiting all of my travel experiences in one shot. I might have been a bit naive but I did it in good faith. This agency left a good impression on me and I wanted to let everyone know about it on this site. I thank you for the observation, I will pay more attention in the future, but I am confident that there will be no need for it.
Thank you to everyone! This site offers great service!!!
Old Aug 11th, 2008, 07:26 AM

If you are going between Croatia and Benelux by train then certainly investigate some kind of railpass - either a Eurail Select pass covering all the countries you will be going thru - Croatia, Slovenia, Italy, France and Benelux - a 5 country Eurail Select Pass if you take that route. For oodles of info on European trains and railpasses for novices i always highlight two fine sites that gives tons of objective info in addition to the usual pass prices and an add to cart option - www.ricksteves.com (also has a list of budget airlines) and eee.budgeteuropetravel.com - this lets you now download their free and excellent European Planning & Rail Guide that has chapters on each country with rail maps, etc. You should buy your pass before leaving OZ as they are not sold at most European train stations and if they are about 20% higher - STA Travel is one major agent in OZ i believe or any travel agent really. If you take a boat from Croatia to Italy then you'd just consider a 4-country Eurail Select Pass (or 5 if you want to put Switzerland on it)
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 06:44 AM

Doing Croatia first then taking a boat over to Italy and heading up to Umbria from there and then going thru Switzerland to Benelux would be a nice route - though the rail route via Zagreb and trieste to Venice could be interesting as well