Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help: any tips for finding a place to live for a month in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone!

I am a soon-to-be law school graduate who just posted another request for help on finding lodgings in Europe, that time for Paris!

Now, I am asking for everyone's help with finding a decently central, safe and reasonable place to live for a month in Rome (January 4-February 11, 2008). I will be doing an internship there at the time, part of a crazy 5 month Europe and Middle Eastern adventure I will be embarking on after graduation...

While I have been to Rome before, I am really not sure about what areas are safe for a woman to live alone in... Any areas to avoid?

Also, I appreciate SO much any advice or tips about how to go about finding something for a month!

Grazie mille a tutti!!!
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:18 PM

What do you consider 'reasonable'?
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:31 PM

You will find LOTS of recommendations for apartments in Rome, plus comments from many women who have stayed in them. Search here for Rome Apartment.

As to looking on your own, try VRBO.com for a start (vacation rentals by owner) adn sleepinitaly.com. Also romesweetrome.com and rentalinrome.com. (Just pulling these out of my "favorites" list) But generally I'd recommend going by the comments you read here. If I can locate a couple of germane threads, I'll come back and post links for you.

If you find any listings for places on your own, you can search the apt name or address and often come up with specific reviews here.

As to neighborhoods, there are lots of great ones. Many will vote for Trastevere (Would be one of my first picks.) You can also find listings up around the Vatican and other less central areas that are more residential than the "centro storico" or historic center.

You can probably find something excellent for the time period you're looking at. Not peak season.

Old Oct 10th, 2007, 08:42 PM

Here are a couple of popular and iteresting threads featuring two apartments in Rome. The second, by the way, is the report of a woman living alone for a month, so may be especially interesting to you.

Neopatrick in rome:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35048541

J garvey’s one month in rome:
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34973094
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 12:52 AM

Hi Oana - Another good source is the English-language paper 'Wanted in Rome' - a newsheet widely used by the English-speaking community in Rome.

Check the ads - or you can place one:

http://www.wantedinrome.com/clas/index.php

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 02:08 AM

The only unsafe areas to be avoided in Rome are some of the suburbs. If you stick to the areas named in any of the Web sites referred to in previous posts, you will be fine.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 06:30 AM

If I were to live in Rome for a month, I would ensure to live in an area where Romans live in order to have easy access to simple things such as stores close by if I urgently need some products (milk, toilettries). Trastevere or Testacchio would be my top two choices.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 11:19 AM

Just got back and Charlotte Kirchgaesser of "la Casa Roma" runs her own apartment rental agency in Rome. She is fluentin English and wonderful to work with. Rentals in Rome had her come to our apartment we rented through them to show us our place. I would use her in a moment when we return to Rome. www.lacasaroma.com