Lodging/Travel in Rome

Search

Lodging/Travel in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lodging/Travel in Rome

I'm flying to Rome for a few days in late May and would love suggestions on lodging. People have said that it is cheaper to stay in a village with a good train hub outside of Rome, except no one knows of any city names.

Does anyone know of a good cheap way to stay for 3 or 4 days near Rome?

Thanks!
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 09:23 AM

There are dozens of small towns just south of Rome - Frascati, Castel Gandolfo, Nemi, Grottaferrata, to name a few - but train service generally stops at around 9:00 p.m. Check it out at

www.trenitalia.com

Which means that you can't even have dinner in Rome. I wouldn't do it.

Have you considered a convent stay? Some are very well located in the historical center and cost very little. Almost all of them accept men, women and couples. They have curfews, but generally only at 11:30 p.m. or midnight. There's a list at the Web site of the American church in Rome:

www.santasusanna.org
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, I'll check out those websites today.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 07:19 AM

It would help if you defined your meaning of "good' and "cheap."

I would also advise you to consider the cost in terms of both time and money of what staying outside the city you'd really rather stay in will be before making any final decisions.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 08:13 AM

If you will be there only a few days, and primarily want to see Rome (which takes at least a few days), I recommend you stay in Rome. There are convenient parts of Rome that are near sites but not as touristy as some others areas and may have reasonable places to stay. Trastevere may be a good neighborhood to look into.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 09:53 AM

I agree that you should stay in Rome if at all possible.

Here are some well vetted, inexpensive, well located options between $60 US and $125 US per night:

http://www.eurocheapo.com/rome/
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

I received an email back from a priest from santasusanna.org and he said they actually do not provide accommodations. Only recommendations for a few hotels.

"Good" and "cheap"..good question. I'm willing to sleep in a cardboard box, but my travelling companion is looking for, at the very least, a Best Western type of place. I'd like a more local place to try to take in maybe "that much more" ambiance, but I don't want to pay more than $100 a night or so- tops.

I have a friend who just got back from Switzerland and didn't make hotel reservations at all. He just looked for a hotel when they got there and said he was fine, don't know the cost, though.

It sounds like I'll want to end up staying in Rome, but that it will likely cost more than I wanted to pay initially.

I'll check out the other websites you suggested.

Thanks, this is a big help!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:20 AM

Scott:

I'm afraid you misunderstood: Santa Susanna does not provide or reserve accommodations.

Please go to this page on their Web site:

http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html

They provide a whole list of convents in Rome (as well as other places in Italy) with contact information for each convent. It is then up to you to contact each convent and request a reservation.

I can tell you that Fraterna Domus (on the list) and Istituto Santa Giuliana Falconieri (not on the list) are extremely well located in the historical centre.

Fraterna Domus has single rooms with private baths (old-style Italian shower - onto the floor and down the drain - but with plentiful hot water). There is no elevator, though, and the breakfast is really not very good. One of the sisters speaks some English, but they are all very nice.

Istituto Santa Giuliana Falconieri has single rooms and shared baths. I never had to wait; the showers are more modern; hot water is plentiful. There is an elevator, and the breakfast is a little better than at Fraterna Domus. The convent is run by a very nice American nun, Sister Kathryn, and you should send your e-mail to her at the address

[email protected]
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:30 AM

Here's the Santa Susanna link that lists various convents that take guests:

http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Mea culpa, Eloise posted the link already!
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Scott,

IF you stay 4 days, and IF you think you and your travelling companion could deal with an apartment, check this out:

http://www.realrome.com/propsantamariastudio.html

I haven't stayed at this particular apartment, but my sister and I rented a studio from Real Rome in May: cheap, conveniently located, and nicer than a cardboard box!

Could be a bit loud in this particular piazza, but you sound young, so maybe this would work for you. No shortage of restaurants, bars and cafes in this area.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 11:39 AM

Also check out Venere.com. You can sort listing by price, and there are reviews as well. I just glanced at some 2* properties, and there seem to be some in your price range with decent reviews. Most are located but termini station.
Old Jan 4th, 2006, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all, that's great info. I'll do some researching after work tonight and hopefully strike a deal. Noise, bars, cafes...they're all part of the experience so I'm looking forward to places like that.

I appreciate your input and will let you know how I fare!