Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First Time Flying w/NW and 6:15 a.m. departure from Rome

Jan 26th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

I am trying to decide about this flight through Orbitz with NW. I'm going from Seattle through Detroit to Paris and coming back from Rome to Amsterdam and to Seattle. The price is really good, BUT.. I've never flown with NW before and would love to hear some of your opinions on NW and also I have a 6:15 a.m. departure from Rome. Yikes - is this possible. I would have to leave my apt. at 3:00 a.m. I know I could stay the night before at the airport hotel, but I'm pretty sure it would not fit with my budget, but maybe it would be worth it? I did a search on here re NW and the responses are mixed. The new Airbus A333 with inseat entertainment and the 2-4-2 seat configuration is enticing me. So what do the experts think?
Jan 26th, 2006, 09:13 AM

I flew Northwest from St. Louis to Nuremburg last year and everything went great. I would not hesitate to fly them again.

As for the 6:15 departure time, I don't think you would have to leave at 3:00. We had a 7:00 flight a few years ago. We had the taxi pick us at at 4:15 and were at the airport by 4:40. There is nobody on the roads in Rome that early in the morning so getting there was a breeze. We will be in Rome again in March and have a 7:00 flight but this time we are being picked up at 5:15.

We are renting an apartment as well, near Piazza Navona. Our first rental in Rome but the prices were much lower than hotels in the area so we decided to go for it.

Tracy
Jan 26th, 2006, 09:16 AM

Way off topic, but did you decide on Croatia yet? We were discussing how to get there a few months ago. DH and I are now considering going in November but keep changing our minds. We were supposed to be in Ireland in March but two weeks after I booked our flights I called and changed them to Italy instead, so who knows what we will end up doing! I'm curious as to if you found a good way of getting to Croatia or not.

Tracy
Jan 26th, 2006, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Actually, I am flying Rome to Amsterdam, so maybe not such a big thing about getting there 3 hrs. before. I also didn't factor in that there would be no traffic at that time of the a.m. Hmm

Yes, I am still planning on going to Croatia, that's why I'm going to Paris first - twist my arm, ha. I can fly direct from Paris to Dub. through Europebyair for $99 + $60 txs. Then I will fly from Split to Rome. Gives me an excuse to spend four days in Paris.

I have rented apts in Rome the last three trips and I love it. I have actually become friends with the woman who I rented from last March and I will be returning to her little apt. on Piazza Santa Maria in Trastevere. It's a small studio and certainly not luxurious, but for the price, location and now having a good friend right next door, it can't be beat!

How did you find the leg room on NW and how about the food/service, etc.? Did your bags arrive with you? I read here that sometimes the luggage goes on a separate vacation.
Jan 26th, 2006, 09:32 AM

Barb, Tracy is quite right about the streets being dead early in the mornings, and even what we would consider the beginning of rush hour in the USA.

We just came back from Rome. Our flight was later (10:30 AM), we left at 7 AM. We were located just west of the Vatican and the ride took about 20 minutes.

PS Are you the Barb with the famous trip report, and if so do you have a new set of fun trip companions?

Jan 26th, 2006, 09:37 AM
Original Poster

5alive: Yup that's me and no this trip will be SOLO.
Jan 26th, 2006, 10:01 AM

I fly NW every year from Seattle to Amsterdan round trip and than else....
The flight is great, fast and the new
plane airbus a-300 is very comfortable.
new and always clean, it has also a handicap bathroom with is bigger than regulars and very popular. The service is excellent and food very good and alot. I always go to Europe this way
just because is so convinient. You wil love it.
If i was you I would try to take both direct flights from Seattle-I went once thruw Detroit and it is okay! but it makes you more tire.
Also, NW weight limmit on your luggage in the internal flights in Europe is higger.You will be flying KLM inside
Europe, they are sister airline with nw.
also excellent airline.
Jan 26th, 2006, 10:09 AM

Good. I'm glad you stuck to your guns.

I will still read your trip report but you may not get the attention of the other travel boards

Jan 26th, 2006, 10:15 AM

my lord! I'm so sleepy.
I should have used big time
spelling check!! lolol!!!
limit - higher- etc...
Jan 26th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Marti1: That's exactly what I've been wanting to hear!!Ok, now I'm excited. I have a layover in Amsterdam of 1.50 hrs. before going on to Paris. Is this going to be enough time. There is a flight with a 3.25 hr. layover, but it would be nice to make that 1.50 connection. Also coming back from Rome, I have a 4.20 layover in Amsterdam. Not great, but I suppose I could pass the time eating and drinking. Is Amsterdam airport user friendly?
Jan 26th, 2006, 10:34 AM

I had no problems whatsoever with my luggage; we actually had two layover (one in Detroit, one in Amsterdam) before our flight to Nuremburg and our luggage made it safe and sound. Like the previous poster said, our plane was fairly new and had great entertainment options.

Not sure if you are interested, but we had a four hour layover in Amsterdam and ended up going into the city. It was very easy to hop on the train from the airport, and in less than 20 minutes we were in Amsterdam. We strolled around town for about an hour or so and then headed back to the airport. Everything went very smoothly. The airport is very userfriendly. There are some decent restaurants and shops to occupy your time if you don't want to leave.

Your trip sounds terrific! I will look forward to your report. We are considering flying into Venice, working our way down to Split or Dubrovnik, fly to Rome with Europebyair and then fly home from there. But I imagine this itinerary will change numerous times before we actually make up our minds.

Best of luck!
Tracy
Jan 26th, 2006, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Well it looks like I'm going to have to go through Detroit too with only 1hr.30 min. Pretty tight. Hopefully we won't have any fog that day. Tracy your plan sounds wonderful - I hope you get to do it. Rome at the end of a trip is always just the best. Thanks for the suggestion about going into Amsterdam, that would really be fun to do as I have never been there.
Jan 26th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Barb, I hadn't been to Amsterdam either so it was fun to walk around, even if we didn't get too see much. It is a neat city and I would love to go back.

And I wholeheartedly agree. Rome is one of my favorite cities and it seems I can't get enough of it, so I make any excuse I can to get back. I purposely planned that itinerary so that we would end in Rome!

Good luck with everything and best wishes!

Tracy
Jan 26th, 2006, 09:54 PM

I use NWA almost exclusively because I'm near a hub city. The legroom in coach is like legroom in coach everywhere - tight.

Changing planes in Detroit could be tight in an hour and half - you'll probably also have to go through immigration there. But maor improvements to the airport there in the past few years improve your chances.

We've only had two troubles with luggage. The first time, our flight from CDG left late so we missed our connection in Detroit and took the next flight home. Our luggage took the flight after that.

The second time, my husband was coming home from a business trip in Afghanistan and some of his equipment was delayed on Ariana Air in Istanbul, but it all arrived safely in the Midwest a day after he did.

On "normal" trips, we've had no troubles.
Jan 28th, 2006, 05:51 AM

topping
Jan 28th, 2006, 01:33 PM

BARB: hi!
Your layover in Amstredan is okay!
The airport is very travel friendly,just make sure you go to the KLM/NW counter once off the plane if you need a boarding pass and then go eat or do anything you want, but get your pass first.
The counter can be busy, but you will have plenty of time.
I have a layover of 1 hour 20 min. this time on my way to Poland.
Jan 28th, 2006, 08:19 PM

- NW's A330 has Audio/Video On Demand (AVOD), the most advanced inflight entertainment, even in coach.

- Your FCO-AMS flight will be on KLM. KLM will issue the boarding pass for your NW flight AMS-SEA.

- 4 hours is not a lot of time to go into Amsterdam. You can do it, but you can't wander too far from the Centraal station. I'd just relax at the airport, which has a branch of the Rijksmuseum. I'd do that instead going into town.