Need help deciding on Milan Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are in Milan for three nights at the beginning of a two week trip in October and I am just not sure where we should stay.

We are currently booked at the Park Hyatt (points) as well as the Melia Milano(excellent rate with breakfast). I have stayed at the Melia before when at a show at the Trade Fair and also at the Una Cusani and the Meridien at the central train station.

Even though I have been to Milan 4 times, I still do not have enough of a feel for the neighborhoods that I know what will work best.

We are interested in food, wine, and window shopping. Yes, we will visit the Duomo and we have Last Supper tickets but it is more important to us be in an interesting neighborhood than in the tourist hub as the metro is very convenient.

The Hyatt is a splurge and will eat up all of my points. Can anyone tell me if it's worth it?

We liked the Melia but were there on business and this time is vacation. I found a most incredible rate and I know the hotel is of a very high standard but am wondering how much time we will actually spend commuting to dining spots, etc?

I have also stayed at the Gallia at Milano Centrale but only overnight. It was quite convenient but also not sure about interesting, local dining options.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Melia Milano is at Via Masaccio, 19

Park Hyatt Via Tommaso Grossi, 1

Meridien Piazza Duca d'Aosta 9 at Milano Centrale
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 07:14 AM

We stayed at these two during the last year:

Brunelleschi Hotel
Via Baracchini 12, Milan

Grand Hotel Plaza
Piazza A. Diaz 3, 20123 Milan

Both are in the centro.

As you said, metro is easy , which we took over to Porto Genoa to eat at Trattoria Aurora:

http://www.webvisionitaly.com/catego...p;ref_item=369

We had fantastic meals in all the neighborhoods. We have a "walking tour - window shopping" video coming soon.

Old Aug 14th, 2008, 07:23 AM

Hi,

My favorite areas of Milano for what you describe are near the via Brera, or the via Dante or the Corso Magenta. If you plug your addresses into Google maps, you can see the proximity to those streets.

Staying near the train station won't be fun for you.

But now you are going off elsewhere yes?
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

zeppole, I am trying to decide that now. I like the energy of Milan but have been there several times before. My husband has only been to Tuscany and Rome. I am trying to decide if we should stay in Milan or head out a bit to a smaller town.

This will be my 18th trip to Italy and I have enjoyed quite a few places over the many years I have been there and now just cannot decide which I think would be a good choice for this trip and these 3 days.

He is a photographer so his preference is fabulous photo ops, followed by food and wine. Any thoughts?
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 07:37 AM

Torino.

If you like the energy of Milano, and he likes food and wine, it's a great destination. Plus, it's incredibly underphotographed. Enough of all these pictures of Cinque Terre anyway!

If his inclination for photography is nature, there are short bus rides in the direction of the Alps that should work.
Old Aug 14th, 2008, 07:38 AM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g1...Day.Trips.html