Search

Itinerary help-Vienna, Hallstat, Paris, Venice, Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2014, 02:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Itinerary help-Vienna, Hallstat, Paris, Venice, Amsterdam

Hi there-

My parents are planning a trip to Europe in July and would want to visit Vienna, Hallstat, Paris, Venice and Amsterdam. They have about 22 days for this holiday and will be flying from India. I'm a little confused from where they should start their trip. Any help is appreciated.
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 03:49 AM

Are they going by train or car or plane or bike...??? Makes a big difference in recommendations.
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 03:59 AM

This is the second recent mention of Hallstat. And while it is a charming town and lake - it's not really more so than dozens of other places in Austria, Switz or Germany.

Just wondering if there is some reason that it;s popping up so much now - featured in some TV show or movie or something?

I would lay out the itinerary based on the convenience of flights from the departure airport. Where possible I would go for flights with no connections (or stops). So return from eithr Paris or Amsterdam, whichever has the best choices.

What might work is trains from Vienna to Hallstat to Venice, flight to Amsterdam and train to Paris. But do check bahn.de for train schedules to see how difficult the trip from Hallstat to Venice is (Vienna to Hallstat is about 4 hours).
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

nytraveler, I'd be interested to know what other places, apart from Hallstat, in Austria, Switz or Germnay are as quaint and beautiful, if not more, as Hallstat is?
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 05:39 AM

Having been to Hallstatt I think it is unique and exceptional and not just another nice place in the Alps.

Not to say there are not some places in their own way just as gorgeous but Hallstatt on its lake is unique. I'd go out of my way to visit it.
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 08:54 AM

July and would want to visit Vienna, Hallstat, Paris, Venice and Amsterdam.>

I would fly into Amsterdam

Take the Thalys train to Paris

Take overnight train Paris to Venice

day or overnight train Venice to Salzburg

Hallstatt

Vienna - fly out of Vienna - so-called Open Jaw ticket - into Paris out of Vienna

If going by train (car would take much longer) check out these IMO fantastic sites: www.seat61.com; www.rickstebves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com - and look at a Eurail Select Pass if they want first-class train travel which in many ways is a more relaxed ride for the trip of a lifetime or go to the national railways sites for discounted tickets - in any case just do not show up and buy tickets as you go along as those can be very expensive - 2nd class ones more than a first-class pass perhaps!
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses, I was thinking of the following :

1.Fly into Vienna
2.Take the train to Hallstat
3.Train to Venice
4. Train from Venice to Paris
5. Thalys from Paris to Amsterdam
6. Fly out of Amsterdam

Is there anything that I am missing here in terms of the ease of tranfering from one place to the other, especially the Hallstat-Venice leg?
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 11:53 AM

I've been to some other charming towns in Austria and Germany; not so much in Switzerland. I've also been to many beautiful towns in the Alps of Italy. I really do think Hallstatt is something special. There are also some very nice walks and hikes in the vicinity. When I think of places I've seen but that my husband hasn't, Hallstatt always comes to mind as a place I'd love for him to see.
Old Apr 27th, 2014, 02:01 PM

for your trains be sure to book early -= months early if possible - the Venice to Paris overnight train www.thello.com - in daytime a long slog - www.trenitalia.com

Paris to Amsterdam www.thalys.com.

Just show up and spend a bundle more than you need but note that discounted trains are trains-specific, usually non-refundable and non-changeable and as ducats in the discounted price range are sold in limited numbers book really really REALLY early.

For lots of great info on European trains check out these IMO superb sources: www.budgetueropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com - the latter great on discount ticket gathering.

If you were not taking the Thalys train I would tell you to look at a railpass but since Thalys trains imposed an absurd supplement on pass holders - about $35-40 you can actually get discounted tickets for not much more than that!

Plus railpasses are not valid on the Venice to Paris overnight train - one of the few overnight trains in Europe they are not valid on!