Search

Going on an 11 day trip..need help..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going on an 11 day trip..need help..

First time poster..long time lurker

So..My boyfriend and I finally got our tickets to go to Europe Feb 14 - Feb 25. (Roundtrip LAX-Amsterdam)
Originally..my itinerary went like this..
Fly out from LA on the 14th..
Amsterdam 2/15-17 rail it to...
France 2/17-20 fly to..
Rome 2/20-22 fly to..
Venice 2/23-24
Fly back out on the 24th to Amsterdam..and fly back to LA on the 25..

Writing it down seems like this trip is going to be bananas hahha..

I was thinking...
maybe cut out Venice all together..
and concentrate on Amsterdam, Paris, Rome..
It would ultimately save us a lot more money, i'm thinking...and..alot more time..since we wont be goin to the airport every couple days...

Opinions?

Thanks *lost

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 08:58 AM

I'll be the first to say..no way. Way too many cities, way too much travelling. In 11 days I'd do two places..say Amsterdam and Paris, that's it.

To amplify, first day, you will probably have jet lag, plus you need to get to hotel and check in, etc. Last day going home, check-out, get to airport early,so you lose part of that day. When you are on a train, you are seeing countryside and spending hours getting to what you had planned on seeing, the city at the other end. Each time you get to new city, find hotel, check-in, get oriented...and when leaving...I think you get my point. Also, look at a rail schedule to see how many hours it takes to get from place to place. Plus....you have to get BACK to Amsterdam

Two cities...Amsterdam and...
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:04 AM
kja

Hi, lostgirl -

> I was thinking...
maybe cut out Venice all together..

I agree. Venice is wonderful, but save it for another trip.

> and concentrate on Amsterdam, Paris, Rome..

Here I agree with Michel_Paris: Give serious consideration to deferring Rome for another trip. While it depends on what you want to do and see, Amsterdam and Paris would make a lovely pairing for your time frame.

Hope that helps!
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:18 AM

When I first went to Amsterdam, I found 3-4 days enough for me. Then TGV to Paris and spend rest of time there. Alternatively, if you want countryside, you could rent a car and hit the roads.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Realize you lose a 1/2 day or more each time you change cities (i.e., check out of hotel, transportation to train station or airport, wait for train or flight, make journey, transportation to next hotel, possibly wait on hotel room, check in). Doing that 5 times in 11 days is a HUGE time waster imo.

My suggestion is - fly to Paris immediately when you land Amsterdam don't even leave the airport (to avoid 2 hotel stays in the same city, beginning and end). After 5 days in Paris fly or take an overnight train in a private sleeper cabin to Venice. 3 days Venice. Fly back to Amsterdam and have 3 full days at the end of your trip.

Skip Rome.

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
totally agree - you just don't have enough time for the Italy bits.

Spend maybe 3 days in A'dam. Then go to Paris on the 18th or 19th. Stay in Paris until the 24th and then back to A'dam for the evening of the 24th before flying home.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Lostgirl,

With the time you have - pick 2 cities. No more.

It will help you understand why we recommend cutting down if you plot out your travel time vs. actually BEING in the cities.

Find the train travel times, then add hotel checking in/out time, getting to the train station time.

For flights, take the actual flight time and add all the hours required for getting to the airport, security, delays, etc., etc.

You will find that your already short trip is now cut in half.

You will get more for your money (and have a much better time) if you pick 2 cities. Don't worry, you will return!

Buon viaggio!
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 11:51 AM

I hope you will consider my suggestion of continuing to the next place directly from the Amsterdam airport. There's no reason to split Amsterdam into 2 separate visits (unless your plane lands very late in the evening).
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 11:54 AM

I did a 9 day Paris/Amsterdam trip a few years ago with my family. My husband and I had both been to Paris before so it wasn't our first time there. We spent 6 nts Paris and 3 AMsterdam. We could have easily spent more time in both places.

I agree with the others. Moving aruond 5 times in 11 days is wasting to much time between travel time (fligts, to and from airports) and just settling in hotel rooms.

Italy will have to wait this time. Enjoy Paris and Amsterdam. They are both great cities.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 12:26 PM

suze has a good point re immediately continuing on to Paris and not splitting up your A'dam stay.

The main reason I suggested doing it the other way is overnight flights really wipe out some travelers. The thought of getting on a train or another plane right away may be just too much for you. If you are easy travelers and don't get terribly jet-lagged, I'd also head straight to Paris.

But if long flights exhaust you, getting to A'dam and checking into a comfy hotel for a while before moving on to Paris would also be a good option.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 12:38 PM
ira

Hi LG,

Since you have RT tickets from AMS,
I suggest 2 nights in Amsterdam, train to Paris for 6 nights, train back to A for 2 nights. Fly home.

Leave Italy for another time.

Train schedules and tickets are at www.voyages-sncf.com

Look for reduced fare tickets 90 days out.

Alternatively, check fares for Amsterdam to Brussels and Brussels to Paris.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Even though you might limit yourselves to two 'main' cities (Amsterdam, Paris) you can add a couple of smaller towns or cities as daytrips from each main city. The atmosphere is often different between a large city and a smaller one (you'll want to visit the 'old center').

Examples:
Stay in Amsterdam Feb 15-18, and take the local train to Delft (less than 2 hours each way) one of your days. Haarlem is even closer, only 15 minutes or so by train.

Stay in Paris Feb 19-23, and take a local train to Chartres or Provins, or train+bus to Fontainebleau...

The train between Amsterdam & Paris is about a 4-hour ride. Round-trip tickets can be bought online at a discount within 90 days of your travel. The discounted fare is 38E each way, so 76E per person, r/t.
I use www.sncf.com but you can also use www.thalys.com

http://www.delfttoerisme.nl/eng/index.shtml

http://www.haarlem.nl/smartsite9.htm

http://www.chartres-tourisme.com/pages/en/index.php

http://www.provins.net/anglais/default.htm

http://www.uk.fontainebleau-tourisme.com/

http://en.parisinfo.com/
BROCHURE for Paris:
http://en.parisinfo.com/press-and-tr...-publications/

http://www.amsterdamtourist.nl/
http://www.iamsterdam.com/
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 01:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Going with he crowd here and suggeset drop Italy. The days will be cold and short so you need to think what to do. Public transport in Amsterdam and Paris very good so getting around is easy and airport transfers good.

No idea of language skills but Holland will be English ( though try a few words) while Paris try harder but it is international city.

One option is also to fit in Bruges as you can pass by via a train but ONLY if you like old stuff a lot and want to waste a day of a short trip that way
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

YOU GUYS FREAKIN ROCK!!!!!
thanks for all the great input and links! =)

I've nixed Venice..!

Old Nov 15th, 2007, 01:38 PM

ok, so you'll have 2-1/2 days each in Amsterdam, Paris, and Rome. Not counting your 1st and last day and 1/2 days to change countries. I guess that's a slight improvement
;-)
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 02:22 PM

You can do Amsterdam, Paris, and Brugge too (or maybe one day in Brussels if you really want to see a 3rd major city)... but Rome? No way.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 03:25 PM

Another vote for skipping Italy all together. Amsterdam & Paris will have so much for you to see & do. Save Italy for a trip on it's own.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 03:38 PM

I agree that Amsterdam Paris and Rome in one trip is too much, but it sounds like you really don't want to give up Italy.

Perhaps you should skip Paris and do Amsterdam and Rome (with a day trip to either Umbria, Tuscany, or Bologna?).
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 04:18 PM

Or give up Amsterdam, if you booked that only because of convenient flights or ticket prices.

For instance, I go thru Heathrow each trip, but have yet to go into London.
Old Nov 15th, 2007, 05:59 PM

OK - better -- bust still not good. Yos say we ROCK! Well you are right there

That's why you should listen to us. We aren't trying to rain on your trip. We are really, REALLY trying to help. You have 10 days on the ground - not counting Feb 25 which is a travel day. 10 days is not long enough for Amsterdam, Rome and Paris. You will end up w/ approx 2.5 days free to see each city. That isn't nearly enough.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -