Itinerary Help Marseille/Cote d Azur

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I arrive at the Marseille Airport on Thursday May 14 midday and would like to spend the first two nights in a small town on the Med with a double room with a view and balcony/terrace. We will have a car.

On Saturday the 16th we need to drive back to the airport to pick up friends and drive to our Sarlat gite for a week and finish the following week with a gite in Lourmarin.

Any recommendations of a smallish town on the Med where we could get a double room under 100 euro/nt?

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 12:08 PM

Cassis might work for you. It is a small town on the water. The main feature are the nearby calanques which you can reach by either a long hike or by boat from the Cassis harbor. The town is quite charming.
We stayed at the Hotel Royal Cottage which is on a hill about a 10 minute walk from the main part of town. Some rooms do have balconies with views. The hotel doesn't have much charm but was fine.
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 12:17 PM

We had a nice room at le Golfe, with supurb views out over the Cassis harbor from the bedrom window. The hotel is actually right on the harbor. The '08 Michelin Guide says the rooms top at 95E. Ask for a room with an harbor/Med view. It is recommended by Rick Steves also. I don't think it had a balcony/terrace, but downstairs is a nice cafe where you can spend time gazing at the views.

Stu Dudley
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 01:05 PM

I've never been to Cassis but would like to. I checked out StuDudley's recommendation regarding the hotel on Trip Advisor and was underwhelmed? The positive reviews say definitely get a room with a view, but that the parking is problematic.

Sam
Old Feb 3rd, 2009, 01:59 PM

We parked in a large lot several blocks away, and walked to the hotel.

NOTE - the OP is asking for a hotel in a nice town, on the coast, with a view of the Med, for UNDER 100E. Our room was quite nice. We were there in June '07.

Stu Dudley