Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First timers to the French Riviera hotel help

Sep 11th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

I know I'm a little ahead of myself but we will be on the Riviera with a car next mid-September. We do not want to pay a whole lot for a hotel. I know that nothing is real cheap but can anyone recommend places to stay in St. Jean Cap Ferrat or Villefranche. These are the hotels I was looking at, Clair Logis, Hotel Panoramic, Hotel Welcome and Port Darse. It's very difficult to make a choice never having been there. We don't need anything fancy but a view would be nice.
Sep 11th, 2007, 12:13 PM

The Hotel Welcome is a good choice for Villefranche-sur-Mer........
Sep 11th, 2007, 05:57 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Welcome last March. The weather was glorious! We stayed in Room 42 which was a corner room facing the harbor and the Citadel. It has two balconies.
Sep 11th, 2007, 06:06 PM

If you are talking about the Hotel Darse in Villefranche sur Mer, I stayed there this summer. Villefranche is so beautiful!!! I walked to Cap Ferrat as a day trip from Villefranche to see the Rothschild gardens and ate dinner at the harbor. The Hotel Welcome is highly recommended and is right in the center of all the cafes. The Hotel Darse is a little further away- a walk of about five minutes along the cobbled sea-side promenade to a small harbor. There are several small restaurants just across the street. If you stay there, make sure to request the top floor sea-view rooms. There was a little balcony to enjoy the gorgeous view. A caveat if you have lots of luggage or mobility issues is that there was no elevator up to the top floor. The room was 85 euro a night, very clean, decent bathroom, with breakfast extra- which certainly seems reasonable for the French Riviera!
Sep 12th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice, if Hotel Darse is a good place then we should probably pick that one since the price is so reasonable compared to the other hotels. 85 euros, sounds great, I'm thinking Hotel Welcome and Clair Logis would be a bigger expense. We are fine dragging our luggage up the stairs, we do it all the time. At the end of September I'm hoping we can find free parking or the hotel will become way more expensive if we have to add parking to it.

I'm not getting any comments on Clair Logis, maybe it's not a good one after all.
Sep 12th, 2007, 09:25 PM

I just checked TripAdvisor and Hotel Darse is still rated #2 (behind only Hotel Welcome)- if you don't mind schlepping the bags up the stairs and a less than ten minute lovely stroll from the center of the old town, it sounds like the savings will be worth it. Just make sure to specify you want the top floor with the view room and balcony! I didn't have a car, so you should e-mail and ask about parking. You will just love Villefranche...this makes me want to go back right this minute!!!
Sep 13th, 2007, 03:11 AM

We've stayed at Hotel Darse and parking was an issue for us also. We were there on a weekend in May and even though free parking isn't abundant we never had problems finding a spot nearby.
Sep 13th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

How do you see the hotel ratings on trip advisor, I see reviews, forum, but not ratings.