Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > itinerary help for Naples and Amalfi Coast area

itinerary help for Naples and Amalfi Coast area

Jan 4th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

itinerary help for Naples and Amalfi Coast area

Hi all. I posted earlier asking where to go. My husband has a conference in Rome next June and we are thinking about staying for a week or so after that on vacation. Thanks for all your responses. We've now decided to go south to Naples and the Amalfi Coast.

Trying to decide on an itinerary. Originally, I'd thought we'd go to Naples for a couple nights, see the Museum & visit Pompeii from there. Then move to one of the towns on the coast for several days, maybe Amalfi & take day trips from there.

Now that I've read more about the islands, Capri & Ischia, wonder if it might be a good idea to stay on one of them a couple nights rather than visiting on a day trip. Some of the posts here sound very tempting. But it's no fun to be moving every couple days. Another possibility would be to skip Naples and head straight for one of the islands. Then we could go to Sorrento for several days, visit Pompeii & the Amalfi Coast towns from there.

Info about us - we are in our 50's and in pretty good shape and can walk miles with no problem, but my husband has some knee issues. That's why Positano didn't seem a good place to stay - too many steps. We like good food, scenery, ancient ruins, local culture and swimming. Not interested in shopping and only minimally interested in art. And yes, I've searched the forum already & read lots of posts on this area.

Well, Fodorites, what do you suggest?

Jan 4th, 2009, 03:29 PM

I too am in my early 50's and a few years ago, I spent a week in Naples using it as a base to make day trips to Vesuvius, Sorrento, Positano, Ercolano, Pompeii, Hercullaneum & Capri. After I left, I decided that if I ever did this again, I would base in Sorrento and make day trips from there. While I am glad to have spent the time in Naples, I saw quite a bit of ATM scams and was almost a victim myself from pickpockets. It was just having to be extra extra careful in Naples to protect myself, that made my stay there rather stressful. Naples would be a nice day trip from Sorrento but I would base yourself elsewhere for peace of mind.
Jan 4th, 2009, 06:49 PM

Sorrento has great connections with the Amalfi Coast, and I was not in love with Naples so I would stay there between the two of them. Naples is fun for a visit tho.

I can foresee an issue with your husband's knees. If you take the ferry to the Amalfi coastal towns there is practically no where to go but up. As I recall, the main part of Amalfi itself was a little less stair-steppy, but there was a big set of stairs up to St Andrews. Positano was very steep as I recall.

We did take a great walk on Capri, around the back of the island but beware, there is a very steep set of stairs. If you go the correct way, you take them DOWN. The wrong way and you will be red and sweaty!

I would suggest Sorrento and Capri as I have not been to Ischia. We loved Pompeii - leave plenty of time!
Jan 4th, 2009, 06:55 PM

Naples is not the most pleasant city in the world.

Agree it's better to spend part of the time in Sorrento (easy train to Pompeii and Naples Museum) plus ferry or bus down the coast. Sorrento is a cute, touristy town that is mUCH safer than Naples.

Then spend a couple of nights on Capri (completely different at night). Again, easy ferry service to Sorrento or towns down the coast.
Jan 4th, 2009, 06:57 PM

I would definitely base in Sorrento rather than Naples. It's more genteel so more relaxing as you don't have to watch your back all the time, and soooo convenient to the many sights of the area. Naples is well worth a visit, but I wouldn't stay over.

I haven't stayed on Capri, but so many people go for the day that I'd imagine it's much sweeter in the evening after the tourists have left. There are also ruins of Emperor Tiberius's villa, since you enjoy ruins.
Jan 4th, 2009, 06:58 PM

I would definitely base in Sorrento rather than Naples. It's more genteel so more relaxing as you don't have to watch your back all the time, and soooo convenient to the many sights of the area. Naples is well worth a visit, but I wouldn't stay over.

I haven't stayed on Capri, but so many people go for the day that I'd imagine it's much sweeter in the evening after the hordes have left. There are also ruins of Emperor Tiberius's villa, since you enjoy ruins.
Jan 6th, 2009, 02:36 AM

Capri is all hills, so I don't know if it would be a good idea to stay there. Everything looks close on the map but with the obvious exception of the main drag with restaurants and shops, you will be trekking uphill the entire trip. Arch Naturale, Villa Jovis, Mount whatever in Anacapri -- all considerable hikes. We are young but also with bad knees so it put a bit of a damper on the trip.

If you do go to Capri, I would also say don't bother for the Blue Grotto if the line is really long. We took a tour around the island and it seemed like much more fun than the Blue Grotto excursion, and the boat went into a couple grottoes anyways where the floor was lit up very beautifully.

I know a lot of people talk trash (ha ha) about Naples but I thought it was a fun experience. Very lively, excellent food, and great for visiting Pompei or Herculaneum. The big museum (I forget exactly what it was called) was fantastic as well. No swimming though, so maybe a base in Sorrento would be better for you. Then it would be easy to see the ruins, the islands, and Naples. My two cents.
Jan 6th, 2009, 02:41 AM

I post here a sad and ashaming news: the airport Salerno-Costa d'Amalfi, after only few weeks, already stops its flights.

Vincenzo
Jan 6th, 2009, 06:19 PM

Vincenzo,

I had not heard about this airport. Was it a new one or just new air service into an existing airport?

Grazie
Jan 8th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice. Looks like Sorrento is recommended by most as a base. We may also add a couple days on one of the islands.

A couple of pragmatic questions. How far in advance do you think we need to reserve a hotel in Sorrento/Capri/Ischia? We'll be going at the end of June/beginning of July. I know that's the busy season, but that's when the conference is in Rome.

Also, if we stayed on one island, could we easily get to the other for a day trip? or would we have to return to Naples or Sorrento?
Jan 8th, 2009, 09:27 PM

When I was in Sorrento in September there was only one morning ferry to Ischia and one return ferry late afternoon. I think there won't be much better connections between Ischia and Capri. Ferries generally don't run late with 7 pm about the latest in summer. Schedules probably won't be released for a few months.
Mar 26th, 2009, 04:04 AM

I think it could be nice to stay one or two nights at capri (not more-it's a little island ) and not really cheap!
I would skip a stay at ischia(probably a day trip would be enougth).
Sorrento would be my first option to stay for relax, nice views, good food and it's a perfect start point for excursions.You could reach Pompei, Herculaneum, the Mt. Vesuvious, the Amalfi Coast and else(don't know all the places ...)in day excursions from there.
I would raccomandate Giuseppe De Toro- a really nice driver guide -I used for a Amalfi Coast-Day Trip.

Search this Thread