Search

Naples/Sorrento

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples/Sorrento

I know that everyone will have their own opinion on this, but I wanted to see what those were. Everything I keep hearing about Naples(dirty, loud, busy) just isn't appealing to me. So I'm trying to figure out if I should stay in Sorrento or Naples. While in that area we will be going to Pompeii, Capri and the Amalfi Coast area.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 09:06 AM

Well yes, I'll vote for Sorrento. I've been in / thru Naples several times and it has not charmed me or made me want to linger. It is definately busy, lots of traffic, and IMO dirty and I am usually somewhat oblivious to dirt if I am having a plesant time otherwise. Maybe a poster can suggest a charming area of the city but when we have travel / transit in that area I just want to get thru it.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 09:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I vote for Sorrento. Just got back a few weeks ago. It is very well located for day trips to Pompeii, Capri, and the Amalfi Coast.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 09:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I love Naples because it is roaring, chaotic and colorful, but if you don't enjoy that sort of thing, it is not mandatory.

I'm not a fan of Sorrento. I find it touristy, geared towards package groups and worst of all, nether here nor there. That is to say, it doesn't have the interest or authenticity of Naples, nor the charms and beauty of the Amalfi coast.

My advice would be to pick a spot on the coast -- Positano, Amalfi, etc, from which it is easy to visit Capri and possible to visit Pompeii. While you're there you might want to pay a quick visit to the National Archaeology Museum in Naples, walk around a bit, and have a pizza for lunch. On your way back, stop off in Sorrento see if it appeals to you. Then next time, you'll have some first hand knowledge to draw on.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 09:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How many days/nights will you be in the area? If just 2-3, I'd probably stay in Sorrento for the easy transportation in all directions. If 4 or more nights, you might consider splitting your time between Sorrento and Capri or somewhere on the Amalfi Coast. Naples does have the most to offer (and its treasures are not mentioned much here), but the distance to the coastal towns makes it less convenient as a base if the resort aspects of the area are your priority.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 10:20 AM

I have been to Sorrento 2 times and find it too chaotic with vespas zooming past with no regard for others.
I prefer staying in Positano.

I would visit Naples to see the Veiled Christ,
but beyond, that I dont like the "train wreck" atmosphere.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 10:50 AM

jake,

I've visited the area twice and last time I was able to stay for 6 days total. I strongly feel that if you want to visit the Amalfi Coast, you should STAY on the Amalfi Coast and Sorrento is not on the coast. It's on the Bay of Naples.

It has nice views, but I would never care to stay there.

Love all the towns on the coast (Positano, Praiano, Ravello, Amalfi. Capri is nice under the right circumstances (NOT a day trip). Enjoyed the one day and night I had in Naples and would go back to Naples for a longer visit in a flash!
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 10:56 AM

I would stay in Sorrento, which I did not find chaotic. Positano is pretty but there isn't much to do and there are many steps, so if you aren't in great physical shape you would have problems. It also suffers from having too many tourists in too small a venue. Sorrento is a pleasant town and there is easy access to various trains, buses, ferries to take you on day trips to the Amalfi Coast towns, Naples, Pompeii, Capri, etc. I thought Naples was disorganized but has some great tourist sights.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 11:46 AM

I stayed in Sorrento for 5 nights and also did not find it chaotic. I enjoyed it, and it's a good transportation hub. That said, I stayed there because the hotel was free. If that weren't the case, I would probably pick Amalfi (a few too many steps for me in Positano, although you have to go there!). It's easy to take the bus up to Ravello and either the bus or hydrofoil to Positano. It would, of course, take longer to get to Pompeii, but that's only one day, so I wouldn't make proximity to Pompeii the highest priority.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 12:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I also stayed in Sorrento for 5 nights (free hotel also). Didn't find it chaotic either.... the vespas in Florence are a million times worse!

And, come on folks, all of these towns are touristy. How do you think they make their living?

Although Positano is pretty (didn't think that much of Amalfi), both are small. I was glad that I just did a day trip to them.

I'd stay in Sorrento again because of the location for day trips, it is larger, more restaurant choices, more shops, and it does have some excellent views (anybody been to the Foreigner's Club???)
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 04:50 PM

Joannyc, I didnt really notice a vespa problem on my 2 trips to Florence.

funny how we all see things differently.

I wanted to mention Nerano Italy. it is near Sorrento.
It is small and oh so charming. Not alot to do except relax, eat, drink and watch the sea.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 06:41 PM

Joannyc, After dinner or just wandering around, we seem to always end up at the Foreigner's club every time we are in Sorrento. It is lovely in the summer, looking out over the water. Sitting there having a glass of wine, I feel as if I am part of a movie set.

Jake, I am one of those folks who enjoys the "chaos" that is Naples, but it doesn't sound like it is best for you.

Positano is beautiful and I used to not mind all the steps, but Joannyc is right. Sorrento has more restaurants, shops, etc. Positano and Sorrento are both touristy, but Sorrento is much busier. Vespas can be a real problem, depending on where you stay in Sorrento. If you have a room on a street where they roar through all night, you will need ear plugs. Just make sure you are in a quiet part of your hotel.

Dayle is right. Sorrento is not on the AC. The views are lovely though, and it is an excellent location for you to tour Pompeii and catch a ferry to Capri. You can also get boats to Positano and Amalfi, or take the bus down.

How much time I had and the time of year would also influence my choice.
Old Nov 11th, 2009, 11:16 PM

My suggestion would be to stay in Sorrento simply for convenience and ease of travel to the Amalfi Coast and the sights in Naples as we.. I used a guide for my first encounter with the area and it masde all the difference. He really opened my eyes to the wonder of everything here and how to put it in perspective.

The gentlemen I used was Francesco Carpegna , a New York American who fell in love with this part of the world 20 years ago and knows how to present it in all its aspects. He has a company called "Waking With The Gods" . I found him on the internet.