Italy: Piemonte. Excellent restaurant

Old Apr 3rd, 2006, 12:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Italy: Piemonte. Excellent restaurant

We were recommended by our hosts to try out this place and were not disappointed.

in Nizza Monferrato, closed monday evenings and all day tuesday.

Le Due Lanterne.
piazza garibaldi 52
tel: 0141 702 480
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:17 AM

Other great Monferrato restaurants:

Barolo & Co - Asti
La Signora in Rosso - Nizza Monferrato
Antica Osteria - Castel Rocchero
Da Fausto - Cavatore
Il Ciarcolo Nuovo - Acqui Terme
La Loggia - Acqui Terme
La Curia - Acqui Terme
Il Bardon - Calamandrana
Old May 7th, 2006, 05:25 AM

bellacqui,

So many wonderful suggestions...do you have something for us for Ravenna???
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:39 AM

Two places I particularly like in Turin:

La Cantinella -- not fancy, this bustling place near the Po is excellent all around, especially the steak for two or more that is brought out raw and you cook on a heated soapstone at your table. Get the octopus/potato salad too.

C'era una Volta -- tucked away on the second floor of a building not far from Porto Nuova station, two brothers do great regional cooking with wonderful wines.
Old May 7th, 2006, 12:27 PM

traviata, i wish I could help. I have never even gone down to visit Ravenna, although I do ceramics and mosaics, and Ravenna is more or less Mecca!!! One day I will get down there!!!

Repete, I am going to note your choices and put them on my to try list....Oh life is rough!!! Trying new restaurants for our guests!! Tough job but glad I get to do it

Diana
Old Jul 8th, 2006, 12:28 PM

Due Lanterne is really great! They have a very extensive wine list and great plin (little filled pasta). The house made grissini are crisp and light. And the family who run the place are very nice! The Osteria in Castel Rocchero is good, and a bit less formal than DL. Ten years ago it was terrible, but a new family bought it and the food and service are better every year. The Rinomata Pizzeria in Nizza has wood oven pizza plus a wide selection of antipasti and a good wine selection. Relaxed local place where you will see tables of big extended families. The food at the La Curie in Aqui is good, but as of last year when we were there, not as good as it costs ($$$$). That had not been our prior experience so maybe we were there on an off day? The La Curie Enoteca next door has a very extensive selection from the region.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:03 AM

I will describe how to find a couple of places with reference to maps that you can get at mapquest. (click on 'outside US and Canada - enter Italy from the dropdown - type in the town name and then zoom in.) In Nizza you will see that the central piazza lies at NNW angle. The Due Lanterne is across from the parking lot about the middle of the west side. (yes the piazza is essentially a big parking lot where the market is held.)A few doors down to the south is a small super market, nothing fancy but useful if you need toothpaste or such. You will notice a dotted line running NE off the NE corner of the piazza. That is a walking street with numerous shops. The Forno is right on the corner. If its open, there will be a line as the place is very popular. You can get milk there too. A little ways down on the right is a green grocer. This is one of the traditional Non Toccare (meaning don't touch) kind of shops. You will be noticed by the clerk and helped when its your turn. You point to or ask for what you want and she will select and bag the items for you. Things in jars and cans you can take up to the counter yourself, just not the fresh produce. There are also several good butchers along this street, so you could stop in for an etto of prosciutto and your picnic is complete.

Now in Acqui there is a free public parking lot just off Corso Roma. You will probably enter town on Via Nizza. Turn right on to Corso Roma. The lot is behind the big building on your right. If you walk down the winding Corso Italia you will find numerous lovely specialty food shops where you can get jams and preserved peppers and the like. As you wander around the old part you will also find shops with candies, pastries, and really great clothes shops. And at the end of Corso Italia is Piazza Italia with its beautiful fountain.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Original Poster

Topping this old post for those planning a piemonte vacation soon.