La Bastiglia - Spello

Apr 23rd, 2006, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

La Bastiglia - Spello

Dear Fodorites,

Has anyone tried the restaurant at La Bastiglia? Trying to decide between that and Il Mulino.

Much obliged!
Apr 23rd, 2006, 03:49 PM

I'm not really qualified to answer your question, never having eaten at La Bastiglia, but I did spend three days in Spello. I walked up to look at La Bastiglia's menu, and I can safely say that it tends to the creative.

Being of a more traditional turn of mind, particularly where Italian food is concerned, I ate at Il Mulino and enjoyed it.

P.S. Chances are someone will chime in with an opinion about La Bastiglia; I've seen it mentioned a few times. You might even put the name in the Search box and find a few reviews.
Apr 23rd, 2006, 04:05 PM

Hi Jeepy,

I stayed in Spello 2 days. One night I ate at La Cantina and my dinner was disappointing.

The next dinner was at Il Molino where I had a to die for filet mignon with a balsamic reduction sauce. Excellent!

Didn't get a chance to try La Bastiglia.

I did go to a wonderful local's restaurant just outside the walls in Assisi, La Peradiso de la Terme. If you are interested, I'll find the address.

Apr 23rd, 2006, 04:05 PM

jeepyland,

We had a very nice meal at Il Mulino...I would recommend the restaurant....we were there in the fall and all the meats were grilled at a large fireplace in the middle of the dining room....and, it is where we tasted our first Passito...instant love!!
Apr 23rd, 2006, 04:24 PM

and jeepy,

I just realized I wrote "Il Mulino"..it is "Il Molino"...will matter if you look up reviews...sorry..
Apr 23rd, 2006, 04:35 PM

We were in Spello in 2001 and ate at La Bastiglia twice. We liked it so much the first time that we returned the following evening. We liked the food, the presentation and the atmosphere. It was there that I had pigeon for the first (and last) time.

I loved Spello and the Palazzo Bocci!
Apr 23rd, 2006, 04:44 PM

Traviata--
What is Passito?
Apr 23rd, 2006, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

It's a desert wine, normally white, I believe.
Apr 23rd, 2006, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

It's a dessert wine, normally white, I believe.
Apr 23rd, 2006, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Didn't mean to post twice - just caught my typo too late.
Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:04 PM

Actually our Passito was red, but it can also be white...yes, it is a sweet dessert wine, but not cloying...really delicious..
Apr 23rd, 2006, 06:22 PM

We also dined at La Bastiglia in Spello a few years ago. We hadn't intended to dine here, but it came at such a high recommendation from Roberto at Enoteca Propezio in Spello, that we asked him to make a reservation for us. He did and made a personal introduction to the sommelier, Ivan. He even told us exactly what we should order. The meal was fantastic and the wine list was outstanding. I'd highly recommend it! (Passitos can be red or white--in Spello, it's often red since it may be made with sagratino from nearby Montefalco.)
Apr 23rd, 2006, 07:21 PM

Thanks -- I'll try Passito when I'm in Italy.
Sep 4th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

A post-trip follow up to this:

We stayed and ate at La Bastiglia and highly recommend it. The wine list alone is worth the trip, if that's your thing. I'd go back in a heartbeat.
Sep 4th, 2007, 10:50 AM
DRJ

We've eaten at La Bastiglia a couple of times. The kitchen is, indeed, adventurous and worthwile trying.
Sep 4th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Jeepyland,

Did you find the hotel management helpful when you stayed there? Also did your room have a view?
Sep 4th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

We were very happy with the hotel. It was clean, quiet and felt very private. The staff was what I have, in my experience, come to define as typically Italian: friendly but sloooow. We didn't ask them for help beyond making a dinner reservation. Check out was pleasant enough but took an awfully long time for some reason.

There was a view on at least one side of the room, as I recall, but it's been a year since we stayed there. Our room had a big (at least by NYC standards) balcony with deck chairs that I spent some time on, but I don't remember it being anything spectacular to look at. Nice to read on, though. The room was large and had a big jacuzzi in it to boot. There is also a lovely common patio by the hotel entrance with a swing and, of course, gorgeous view.
Sep 4th, 2007, 02:14 PM

It was about 4 years ago that we spent a wonderful week at Palazzo Bocci in Spello, directly across the street from and owned by the same family as Il Molino. I certainly don't remember what we ate, but we had very good meals at both restaurants you mention during that week.

I do recall that La Bastiglia is situated at the very top of the hill that crowns Spello, and it was a strenuous walk up. We dined outside on the terrace on a beautiful May night ... ahhh, to be back in Umbria!
Sep 4th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the info