Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which Hotel is better, La Valencia or Grande Colonial in La Jolla?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi.. I have reservations at La Valencia, but am curious, after reading things on this site, about Grande Colonial. Are both locations proximity to the beach about the same? Do both have lots to see and do on foot from the hotels? What about rates? I would like spacious suites, connecting.. I'm curious if I could get a better rate at Grande Colonial or if that might not be in our best interest considering locations... thanks.
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 02:34 PM

Hi teadrinker,
The Grand is right by the La V - I love the La V and feel like it is a landmark - but if you can get a good rate and connecting rooms at the grand and splurge a little more in La Jolla then I might. I just love the La V - so it is a tough call for me...
How long are you staying and when?
Be sure to dine on the "roof" at Georges
Old Jun 10th, 2007, 03:00 PM
TahitiTams

My dear friend used to own the Grande Colonial then sold it to other friends and I think they have done a good job..I always suggest it since it is reasonable and I like the rooms better than La V..they are bigger but the new villas at La V are stunning but very pricey.
The Grande is opening 18 new suites next door and that might be something to check out..
Go direct and see if you can change..but keep your reservation, just in case.
Old world charm is at La V but its a half block away.
Keep us posted!

Old Feb 20th, 2008, 05:34 AM

OK, I'm replying to a pretty old post, I know. But, I have the same question. Do they both have the same type of pool area? Assuming you could afford to get a larger room at the La V (since we're not there for a long stay), would you definitely choose it?
Old Feb 20th, 2008, 02:52 PM

I do not even know if either have a pool? I have only dined at the La V and had drinks there - my Dad stayed there last year and he really disliked it - felt it was "old" and not worth the money (he was in an expensive suite).
Old Feb 21st, 2008, 10:56 AM

The La V. has a pool area surrounded by the more expensive suites. If i recalled its sort of a walled area so you don't really get a view but the area is nice. In todays paper they announced that the family that has owned the hotel for 60 years is selling it to a corporation., Don't know if it affect operations.