Itinerary for 15 nights and 16 days

Dec 29th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Itinerary for 15 nights and 16 days

Hi everyone, we are planning to have a honeymoon to Europe for October 2015. We have booked the ticket which first arrive in Munich and then depart from Barcelona. We do not like too cramp and crowded place yet we also do not want to spend a lot of time in a really quiet and boring places. We are both around 25 years old in the middle of our 20s and we are type of people who enjoy leisure, cafes, good views and not really into night life. Moreover, I love culinary adventure!! Also, we do not want to go to almost similar countries (we want something really different from each). Here are our itinerary options and could anyone help us which one will suit us the best?Thanksss!!!

Option 1:
a. Munich (2 nights GaP and then 3 nights Munich with 2 day trips going to Fussen and Salzburg)
b. Vienna (3 nights)
c. Praque (3 nights) and then flight to Barcelona
d. Barcelona (4 nights) and then go back home

Option 2:
a. Munich (2 nights GaP and then 3 nights Munich with 2 day trips going to Fussen and Salzburg)
b. Zurich (2 nights)
c. Lucerne (1 night)
d. Milan (2 nights)
e. Barcelona (5 nights)

Option 3:
b. Praque (3 nights) and then flight to Paris
c. Paris (3 nights) and then flight to Barcelona
d. Barcelona (4 nights)
Dec 29th, 2014, 11:15 PM

Hi Jessika- You will probably get more variety with option 3. And I would try to squeeze in the day trip to Fussen when you are in GaP. It is very easy to do a day trip to Fussen from GaP if you have a car.

Have a great trip...
Dec 29th, 2014, 11:44 PM
kja

I'm confused by each plan. For one thing, 15 nights RARELY means 16 DAYS because (a) even if you arrive early, you will probably have jet lag and so will lose a chunk of that day and (b) even if your departure flight is late, you will need to prepare for departure and so will lose a chunk of that day. So you actually have closer to 14 days -- less any time you spend getting from place to place (and for the places you are contemplating, that can easily mean losing 1/2 day or more for each move.)

For another thing, I'm not sure I understand, for any of your plans, when you actually plan to visit Munich. With 3 nights and 2 day trips, you seem to be out of time. ;-)

If you already have tickets into Munich and out of Barcelona and are the "type of people who enjoy leisure, cafes, good views," then you might want to consider trying to visit AT MOST one other location in between.

IME, people who are not boring are rarely bored, so I wouldn't worry about that. ;-) If you do your research in advance, you should easily be able to identify the things you want to do in each location and plan your time accordingly.

I suggest that you NOT focus too much on whether things are in the same or different country -- before trains and cars, many places that seem near each other were parts of very different cultures; too, current national borders rarely reflect conditions that go back far enough to eliminate pre-existing differences. Sometimes, places that are quite close (by today's standards) are astonishingly different, while other places that are quite far from each other bear similarities due to common historical influences.

Best wishes, congratulations, and good luck!
Dec 30th, 2014, 12:35 AM
Original Poster

Travelforbeer, thank you so much for your reply. Yes, indeed I am thinking of option 3 for more varieties. Unfortunately, we don't have any car so we're planning for using Bayern Ticket and do a day trip to Salzburg. Also, is Fussen worth to go?

Kja, thank you so much for your opinion. I am still rather confuse if we should remove Paris in our trip and just stick into Bavaria region, Praque and Barcelona. However, we heard that a lot of people would consider Paris as "city of Romance" that make it more appealing toward us despite the crowd. We know about your confusion as this trip is really east and west europe together. Beside we had bought the return ticket, we really want to go Barcelona as my husband to be really want to visit camp nou where the FC Barcelona Stadium is. Moreover, I have heard about the great culinary adventure in Barcelona. Do you have any recommendation? Would you remove Paris or Praque?
Dec 30th, 2014, 02:38 AM

WHY would you remove Paris!! Crowd? There will be crowds in all these places.
See Prague another time. You have a LOT of moving around, and some long distances. It will eat up your time.
Dec 30th, 2014, 03:06 AM

Yes, i would stick to three places, and enjoy all they have to offer - which is a lot.

the obvious choices for you are Munich, Paris, and Barcelona, 6 nights in Munich [to give you a day to recover from jet lag and enough time for your day trips,] 4 nights in Paris [not enough to see it properly but good for a first taste] and 5 in Barcelona.

if you've got an extra night, add it to Paris.
Dec 30th, 2014, 04:42 AM

Agree that it is not clear how much time you actually have. Fifteen nights is actually 14 days - and you can;t count the day you arrive nor the day you depart.

And you need to allow time to get from one area to another - from 1/2 to a full day.

If it were me I would do Paris, Munich and Prague - not that I dislike Barcelona but just enjoy the others more.

But if Barcelona is a must for you agree to leave Prague until next time.

This will also give you 3 areas that are more different.

But I would lay out a day by day itinerary - showing where you will wake, what you will do during the day - including getting from one place to another - and where you will sleep. This will help focus on what you actually have time to see and do. The Michelin green guide is an excellent book to provide in-depth info on sight, including how long it actually takes to see them.
Dec 30th, 2014, 04:58 AM

I, too, would limit the trip to 3 locations. I don't think it matters which 3. That is for you to decide. But I would definitely include Paris. Consider what you want to see and do in each location and choose that way.
Dec 30th, 2014, 11:38 AM

Munich, Paris, Barcelona. Three very different cities with three different cuisines and, given your flight schedule, the only itinerary that makes sense. I'd spend the most time in Paris, but it's your honeymoon.

You say you both love leisure--even cutting this to three cities is not going to give you much leisure in any of them.
Dec 30th, 2014, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Hello all, thank you for your suggestions.

Actually, our decision to remove Paris is that we thought that we will come again someday to Europe and do the west Europe part (Amsterdam, Bruges, Paris, Milan, Rome). As we arrive near the central Europe, so we discussed together and then decided that we might do Munich (5 nights), Praque (3 nights), Vienna (3 nights) and then Barcelona (4 nights). Munich, Praque and Vienna are relatively near to each other and can be reached by bus or train for around 3-4 hours. We could not remove Barcelona as we already bought the ticket.

However, all your comments made us again think about this decision. We do not know when we will come back again to Europe! So will truly consider to go Paris and remove Praque and Vienna.
Dec 30th, 2014, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Our actual date of traveling is 6th to 22nd of Oct and the arrival date in Munich will be 7th Oct. So we have 15 nights but not sure how many days. thanks a lot. =)
Dec 30th, 2014, 06:12 PM

>>elatively near to each other and can be reached by bus or train for around 3-4 hours.<<

In your calculating you need to factor in all the time it takes, not just the length of the bus/train journey. You need to pack, check out, get to the train station, ride the train, then get from the new station to your next hotel, check in, unpack . . . so w/ even just a 3 hour train ride -- more than half a day is used up.

That is why we say 3 nights really only nets you 2 days, 5 nights = 4 days
Dec 31st, 2014, 01:46 AM

I think that you are very wise to reconsider your initial ideas.

ref Munich, Prague and Vienna being reasonably close to each other, well, that is true as far as it goes but being close on a map does not necessarily mean that it is easy to get between them.

a good place to look is the German railway website - bahn.de - which give timetables for most of Europe.
Dec 31st, 2014, 06:20 AM

Ten years from now which would you like to remember: "We went to Prague on our honeymoon." Or: "We went to Paris on our honeymoon." ?

As others have implied, travel days don't count as tourist days. Arrival and departure days are used up, and intercity days need 2 hours more than just the travel time on the leaving side for checking out and getting to the train or bus with enough spare time not to miss it. Then add one hour more to get to the arrival hotel and check in. The day is shot, except for a walk and dinner. So, for a three city trip, subtract arrival day, two travel days, and departure day. Fifteen days become eleven. Then notice that there will be a Sunday or two when there will be fewer things to do, so try to travel intercity on Sunday, if schedules allow. Check them.

Finally, realize that figuring out a new city/language/culture will use up extra time the first day or two at a new place. Three places maximum for you will let you enjoy your trip rather than spend far too much of it getting there rather than being there.
Dec 31st, 2014, 06:37 AM

Caliban makes a good point about how orienting yourself in a new place takes time. We frequently do 3-4 day trips to european cities, and it's usually only at the end of the trip that we have found the cafe/bar/area that suits us best. On a long trip, you may never get a feeling of being at home or even feeling comfortable in place if you are moving around too much.

BTW, often in Europe it's Monday that most places are shut, not Sunday, but it's always worth checking that the things you want to see will be open on the days you are there. [for example, in Paris, the Louvre closes Tuesdays, and the Musee D'Orsay on Mondays]
Dec 31st, 2014, 07:14 AM

Keep Paris. Beautiful, romantic, lots to do, great variety, food - fabulous, great memories.
Jan 1st, 2015, 09:00 AM

"Moreover, I love culinary adventure"

Sounds like you should be visiting: France, Italy and Spain. (Paris, Rome and Barcelona?)