Barcelona, Montpellier, Nice then Paris

Jul 12th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Barcelona, Montpellier, Nice then Paris

Husband and I take 2 weeks in March (prefer cooler weather,lack of crowds and we celebrate our anniversary). For 2006 we are thinking Barcelona (3 days); Montpellier (4 days with side trips); Nice (4 days with side trips); then Paris (2-3 days). We have been to Paris 3 times but not to the other places. My question to you veteran travellers is: should we skip Barcelona and add those days to France instead? Make Barcelona another trip? If we skip Barcelona, we'd probably start in Nice and work our way back to Paris. We always take public transportation and/or arrange local tours when we get there. Thanks for your help everyone.
Jul 12th, 2005, 10:58 AM

Unlike some, I'm of the belief that having more variation of destinations on a vacation is preferable to just one. While admittedly there are variations between your other French destinations, adding three nights in Barcelona provides you with a real change in customs and culture -- sort of an additional mini holiday. I'd definitely go for it. Meanwhile, when you say "work our way up to Paris", I've done that a lot, and next time plan to do Easy Jet from Nice to Paris. It's infinitely quicker and cheaper than the trains, and since I'm not spending several nights enroute exploring other places, I'd just as soon get to Paris and start enjoying it.
Jul 12th, 2005, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Patrick. Had no idea flight from Nice to Paris would be cheaper. Is it bookable without a lot of advance notice? Gotta find some Catalan language tapes now!
Jul 12th, 2005, 11:21 AM

I think your plan sounds very doable - we did a trip Barcelona, Arles, then Paris one year but your game plan works too. I don't think you will feel you have seen all of Barcelona - we stayed five nites and could have added more - but hey, you can go again! Your plan is just the pace I like for a trip, 3 or 4 days in a place, then make a move to a different region. You could edit out Barcelona but it is such a unique city and different from France that I think it makes a good starting point.
Jul 12th, 2005, 11:23 AM

The earlier you book the flight from Nice to Paris the less expensive it is. Eventually it can actually become more expensive than the train trip.
Jul 12th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks also suec1 and Intrepid1. So many of the Provence towns look wonderful on paper and I was concerned about not giving them a long enough look. Will definitely look into the Easy Jet before we go.
Jul 12th, 2005, 12:08 PM

Easy Jet fares go up as time progresses, but March tickets are on sale now. Most days you can get them for 18.99 euro per person, Nice to Paris Orly (closer in than CDG). You also have four to five choices daily for flights. What happens is, as they sell tickets the price goes up. As soon as you know your dates, I'd suggest booking, otherwise you'll end up paying more than the train, as Intrepid says.
Jul 13th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again Patrick. That's a huge savings, yes?
Why didn't this thread come up when I searched for 'Barcelona, Montpellier' or 'donco'?