Barcelona or Paris?

Search

Barcelona or Paris?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barcelona or Paris?

Hi everyone. I need your insight. If you had to pick either Paris or Barcelona for a three-day visit, which would you select?

I've been to Paris, but not for about 25 years, and I've never been to Barcelona, though I've been to Spain. I don't speak a lick of French, but I do speak a little Spanish (which I know isn't the primary language in Barcelona).

I enjoy museums, but I also like sightseeing and going out at night and walking about.

All opinions welcome!

Thanks.

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 08:46 AM

If this opportunity were presented to me I would choose Paris, even though I have been there many times. Barcelona (I have been once) is great but I would go to Paris. You have to decide what you want from the trip.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 11:13 AM

This one particularly appeals to me since I just returned from a trip to both. I had visited Paris before, but had never been to Spain. For me, Barcelona was more special...it could be because I spent more time there, or because it was my first trip to Barcelona, or maybe because I live in NYC, and Paris had a similar, urban feel, while Barcelona had a more rustic quality...but whatever the reason, I think I would vote for Barcelona.
Either way, you're bound to have a great trip!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 11:31 AM

I would choose Paris, but I enjoyed Barcelona very much when I was there and would like to see it again.

It doesn't sound like Paris impressed you when you visited twenty-five years ago. So perhaps you're better off with Barcelona (unless, of course, you want to give Paris another try).

The Paris museums are unique. As far walking about, both cities have their attractions, so it's difficult to compare.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 11:32 AM

I have been to both many times and Paris is always inspiring, fulfilling, romantic... If you want party, discos, nightlife go to Barcelona, but if this is not your idea of nice vacation, then go to Paris. Since u have only 3 days, get a tour on L'Open Bus ( the green / yellow one ) with nice explanations in english. I also dont speak a word in french and never had any problem!
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 12:35 PM

I haven't been to Barcelona but I am partial to Paris.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 12:39 PM

Having been to both, I prefer Paris to Barcelona but, since you've been to Paris and not Barcelona, why not check out the city of Gaudi?

Barcelona actually has, IMO, a somewhat-Parisian feel to it, especially on broad plane-tree lined boulevards like the Passeig de Gracia.

Although the official language there is Catalan, we had no problem in Barcelona with only English and my girlfriend's limited Spanish.

Old Sep 18th, 2003, 01:21 PM
car

Tom in conneticut(right?)
If you have been to Paris then go to Barcelona, all in all , Paris has more to offer but Barcelona is worth a trip.
Old Sep 18th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone. Thanks to all of you for taking the time to answer my question (and thanks in advance to anyone who might still post). You've given me a lot of helpful information. As always, I appreciate your responses.

Tom
Old Sep 19th, 2003, 06:29 AM

A friend who accompanied his son to the Olympics in Barcelona several years ago told me about being amazed sitting at a Cafe on the Ramblas (Barcelona) at 2:00 AM and seeing ladies pushing 'prams' as if it were a nice sunny afternoon. His comment: 'they live in a different world.'

It would depend on the days of the week you will be in either of those cities: for a weekend I would definitely choose Barcelona: do a city tour Saturday AM have a seafood platter in Barceloneta; Parc Guell Sunday afternoon and the steps of the Cathedral Sunday evening.

It's been 30-years since I last visited Paris - the transparent building outside the Louvre wasn't there yet but we did get to go up on Tour Eiffel and see most of Paris' attractions. I have no desire to return (and I speak more than un petit peu of French).