Italy-what to wear

Dec 15th, 2006, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Italy-what to wear

I'm beginning to plan a trip to Rome/Florence/Venice in June. I want to be comfortable yet respectful of the country. What type of clothing should a woman wear when sightseeing?
Dec 15th, 2006, 11:21 AM

Wear sightseeing clothes!!

Comfortable ones and comfortable shoes.
Dec 15th, 2006, 11:29 AM

Wear long sleeves if going into churches and consider a head scarf.
Shorts are a big NO-NO.
Comfy shoes are very important. I like trim looking cargo pants with the extra pockets and a neat looking light-weight jacket over a thin shell blouse
Dec 15th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Comfortable, sturdy shoes or sandals. Lightweight slacks, skirt, or capris. A nice top. A comfortable bag to tote your stuff for the day.

Dec 15th, 2006, 12:01 PM

If you really want to fit in in Rome, wear a nun's habit.

Seriously, if you do a search, you'll find LOTS of threads on this issue.
Dec 15th, 2006, 12:06 PM

I always take a couple pair of shorts. Long, loose, kind of look like a skirt. It can be very hot some places in Italy in the summer-time.
Dec 15th, 2006, 02:25 PM
jgarvey

Patcaro, I have been getting invaluable assistance from contributors on this site for two months about packing for a month-long stay in Rome and Italy. Although most of my questions and responses are focused on the winter months, I feel certain that you will still benefit from all of the valuable advice. Just go to jgarvey in the info box and catch up with some of this personal advice that has helped me so much. Also check out SlowTrav.com and Rick Steves. There are many good people out there who are willing to steer you in the right direction for what to pack and wear in Italy. Remember: these generous travelers come from personal experience with many trips! Good luck, and don't stress!!

J

Dec 15th, 2006, 02:34 PM

I like at least some of the tops to be ones that can easily be rinsed out in the hotel sink and dry in a day or two.
Dec 16th, 2006, 07:32 AM

If your concern is fitting in with the stylish Italians (and I'm not saying it should be - that's totally up to you), this page may be helpful: http://www.beginningwithi.com/italy/travel/dressing.htm

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

beginningwithi.com
Dec 16th, 2006, 09:38 AM
jgarvey

Dierdre, thanks for putting me in touch with that website! It is very informative as well as amusing! There's lots of enjoyable reading there about visiting and/or living in Italy. She is a very interesting woman and a good writer as well. If you go back to her site, look at the hilarious music video from 1974--a taste of what English music sounded like to Italians 32 years ago, before English was as prevalent as it is today. Italian names for babies and outdated Italian names very interesting too. All of you should check it out. Interesting and also fun to read.

Dec 16th, 2006, 02:33 PM
jgarvey

Dierdre, did I just compliment you on your own website? Oops! Anyway, you deserve it. Some good stuff here. Congrats!

Another blog full of daily insights and helful information by someone living and working there now (getting ready to marry a Roman guy) is by Shelley on ReallyRome.com. Good stuff!

Dec 16th, 2006, 02:59 PM

Hi Pat,

For sightseeing the main thing is to be comfortable, because there is SO much to see in all three places and you'll probably do a lot of walking. The other critical thing is to have something which covers your shoulders (in general) and knees (for St Peter's in Rome) for going into churches. When it's hot I take a lightweight silk wrap to put over my shoulders and this serves the dual purpose of showing respect in churches and, when necessary, preventing sunburn outdoors. I think covering up for churches, and (very much secondary) not going to good restaurants for dinner in shorts and white trainers probably covers being respectful.

There are lots of threads about outfits in Italy. What to wear depends on what you're aiming for; if you want to look like an Italian people ask on a regular basis what Italians are wearing. (I won't give you and autumn/winter summary because that'll be useless come June). Personally I don't even aim for looking like a local (my colouring and mediocre Italian would give me away for a start) but I do take smarter day outfits than I'd wear at home in London - usually dresses with flat comfortable shoes and more attention to hair and make-up than usual. But in the end, tourists are usually easily identifiable as such whatever they wear (by the cameras, maps and guidebooks if nothing else), so as long as you follow the church guidelines it doesn't really matter what you wear for the major sights.

Have a great trip!
Dec 17th, 2006, 02:33 AM

Compliments gratefully accepted in any case! <grin>